Tamiya 262A 1-a 1/48

Hi ho folks - straight off finishing Johnny Red’s Hurricane, I’m pretty eager to start a non hurricane related subject / since my last 3 builds have been the same aircraft.😊 So lets wash that type out of my hair with something completely different: 

fzlKHnp.jpg

It’s Tamiya - apparently it’s a very nice kit so I’m very much looking forward to possibly not having to break the laws of physics trying to make things fit😂

That said I didn’t want to make things a little too easy on myself...

JvqXfLs.jpg

I bought some Aires resin engines to spice things up a little. There’s 2 in the pack but I’m planning to only use the one. 

I’ve also got some PE frets and canopy masks... the pe is mostly for the cockpit though there is some for the gun bays. 

3x11NoI.jpg

Lastly, I bought some decals so I can avoid working with the decals from Tamiya...

H0kTdVt.jpg

This is also the scheme I’ll be using - It was supposedly flown by Adolf Garland when he was evaluating the type. There’s a lot of discrepancy in terms of the accuracy of the scheme- different sources state different colours but I’ll muddle my way through I’m sure. Anyone with something to contribute in terms of the scheme would be greatly appreciated 👍

Im expecting the kits to be a straight forward build so I decided to get into the resin engine - I’ve never tackled one of these before so there was a little apprehension. I started by sawing off the base blocks off the main components- and sanding them clean - I dipped all my tools into water while doing this and wet sanded the parts in an effort to reduce resin dust going everywhere. 

Pretty soon I was able to dry fit the main engine parts. 

aHgS2fe.jpg

The detail on this thing is spectacular to say the least - it’s a kit within the kit and can’t wait to see how it turns out when painted. 

Most the work here was quite easy however the part that attaches to the wing was not. 

92nVsyJ.jpg

You can see the amount of material you need to remove from this part - left side shows how the part comes - and after I’ve finished reshaping. I scraped most the material out with a curved blade. 

N1hXWRt.jpg

With all that done, I was able to dry fit this onto the wing;

q9d9nrE.jpg

Not too bad - there will be some filling, sanding and re scribing in my future but I’m happy with this so far. 

Check back soon for another update on this lockdown build😎

Cheers

John

• Like 14

Just now, Kitchen Modeller said:

Yep it’s proven very useful for this resin engine so far - couldn’t have a better tool for this job. Or maybe a Proxxon micro mot... mmmm 😋 

Main use mine has seen has been chopping up Vulcans, I did a cockpit section and a vulcan B1a that made heavy use of that tool

• Like 1

On 4/1/2020 at 1:04 AM, The Spadgent said:

Nice!!! I just built the a little Airfix one of these. I’ll tag along if that’s ok. 

Johnny.

You’re more than welcome Johnny! 

On 4/1/2020 at 1:48 AM, Marklo said:

On a semi related theme Adolf Gallands book ‘the first and the last’ is a very good read and he describes flying the 262. In fact his last operational flight was in a 262.

Thanks for that Marklo - I’ll have to check that out. Garland is a fascinating character. 

A little more progress to show as I’ve been working away on the resin engine. 

I glued the main components together with CA glue and attached some wire... 

oA0ZYE8.jpg

I left off the main exhaust tube so I could paint the interior more easily. 

I then primed the whole thing with Gunze GX2 black gloss. Then gave it a couple of coats of gunze silver 8 - I did some highlights with Alclad airframe aluminum. I masked off the center section and painted that with Tamiya flat black - then used the same paint to simulate some staining on the rear of the exhaust. 

3X9KWwz.jpg

The front section got a heavy wash with Tamiya panel line black. This acted like a filter, giving the metal finish more of a grey steel look. 

ENOJMpI.jpg

C9FfcUY.jpg

I wanted to show some heat marks on the main outlet so I mixed up a very thin mix of Tamiya flat earth mixed with some metallic bronze. This was lightly sprayed over the panel lines... 

unvvAo0.jpg

I then gave the rear section a wash with Tamiya panel line dark brown - this was more of a pin wash. 

siDPjyu.jpg

nqZysZU.jpg

So that’s where I’m at - next up I’ll do some more detail work, painting some the wires and components - After which it should then be just about done... 

See you soon😊

John

• Like 17

20 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Now THAT is lovely. 👍

Johnny

Thanks Johnny - even nicer now it's finished I hope: 

ntzY38e.jpg

I painted up some of the wires with Vellejo Yellow and Tamiya Metallic Bronze - put some more washes down just to tone down some the shininess is places.

VyIfO9F.jpg

pepK2ot.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how this came out - really the quality is in the resin by Aires - It was worth the work to get to this point - hopefully it looks good under that wing :)

I can now turn my attention to the actual kit - work on the cockpit will start shortly... 

Cheers

John

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Wow, awesome work on the engine! Looks like you’ve got as much time in building the scale model as they got in flight hours between rebuilds! Your detailing is very subtle, which I think looks great. Handy job scraping, by the way. Aires probably could have put the pour-stub elsewhere, eh?

I’m definitely following along on this build. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 6:35 PM, RadMax8 said:

Handy job scraping, by the way. Aires probably could have put the pour-stub elsewhere, eh?

That would have been nice - I’m no expert on resin moulds but seemed strange to do it like that - I’m sure they had their reasons... I’m giving them the benefit of the doubt since the engine was so good 😊 

On 4/3/2020 at 7:56 PM, Christer A said:

Wow, that is a fantastic looking engine!

On 4/4/2020 at 4:08 AM, trickydicky210 said:

Great start, looks fantastic 

Thanks guys 😎

I’ve been hacking away - doing what I can in the limited time I get these days. But have made a little progress...

Next up was the cockpit - I had the eduard PE set which had a Instrument panel - to use this I would have to scrape the detail off the kit part.

6sWdqfJ.jpg

However, I thought the kit version looked quite nice so decided to have a crack at using this. If I didn’t like result I could always revert to the pe version. 

So painted this up with Tamiya German grey, and put on the decal. 

0A56ptO.jpg

I thought this didn’t look half bad so decided to stick with it. The problem with the pe parts is that they are quite flat - panels were provided for the side consoles too but again I went with the kit versions. 

I drilled out some holes for the gauges wiring on the back using a hypodermic needle. 

rfIlCIk.jpg

For the other cockpit parts, I first painted them with Gunze silver 8 - followed by a coat of German grey. 

RBwstXm.jpg

UWOmYwk.jpg

I highlighted these by adding white to the paint mix and spaying on the corners and areas I wanted to fade slightly. 

JbIikGL.jpg

csqSVic.jpg

As I used silver for the under coat, I was able to use a tooth pick to scrape off some marks on the top layer.

QVl8b7q.jpg

ZbdMeWs.jpg

c6TINHC.jpg

I used the pe fret to replace the foot-pedals - however these will be quite invisible once covered up. 

9NRZVxg.jpg

I gave everything a wash with Tamiya panel line black - wiping away the excess with a cotton bud... then painted in some details - buttons and gauges. 

1eRGmBm.jpg

3uStapn.jpg

I added in the IP wiring with .5 copper wire. 

MpYqZe7.jpg

K5HT22k.jpg

These will get painted later. 

I painted up the seat cushion with vellejo model colour paints - I used red leather for the base colour and added shading with lighter and darker colours. 

PnGfJEa.jpg

So that’s it for now - still lots to do on the cockpit but I should get it finished off fairly soon. 

More updates will follow shortly. Thanks for looking in!

Cheers

John

• Like 11

On 4/3/2020 at 3:23 AM, Kitchen Modeller said:

pepK2ot.jpg

I'm quite pleased with how this came out

I bet you are! This looks blinking awesome, makes me want to get a me262 just to splash out on the engine extras! Cockpit not looking too shabby either, or, well, actually it is a bit, your chipping and shading is working wonders. Keep it up!

Edited by SaminCam
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Like what you did with the wiring

Thanks Adam - very easy modification to do! 

10 hours ago, Christer A said:

That chipping came through very nice.

The white highlight technique was also very interesting, something that one should steal as soon as possible 

Steal away Christer😎

5 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice work sir. 🙌

Thanks Johnny 👍

2 hours ago, SaminCam said:

makes me want to get a me262 just to splash out on the engine extras!

If you don’t mind the scale, this kit is excellent so far and there seems to be lots of aftermarket available for it... I’ve heard the recent airfix 262 is a good choice in 1/72 - Looking at your luftwaffe collection that you posted the other day (which is awesome so far) I did notice a large 262 gap😎 You also need a 190D-9. And maybe a Stuka to round things off 😊 Great that you’re sorting out the 110! 

I did some more work on the cockpit last night - the mojo is strong at the moment! 

All that was left to do was paint up the gunsight and control column- install the seat belts and do the final assembly... 

jXZ5jm0.jpg

tnJG1Z1.jpg
SLSZciq.jpg

jwFDxNK.jpg
0bqfkc9.jpg

I attempted to paint up the wiring with Vallejo yellow but that didn’t work very well - even with them primed - Tamiya flat yellow worked a lot better. 

The eduard seltbelts were nice but needed dirtying up with some Tamiya panel line dark brown. 

Probably not my best cockpit - I haven’t done a late war luftwaffe cockpit for quite a while so it’s tricky working with that dark grey. The ip could be better too - noticed that some of the decal gauges are slightly out - but still it’s not terrible overall - so I’ll move on the next thing. 

Cheers

John

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Kitchen Modeller said:

I’ve heard the recent airfix 262 is a good choice in 1/72

It is! 😇 I built one just before the jug I’m on at the moment. Lovely little kit. 

Johnny.

ps. Lovely office by the way. 👍

• Like 2

On 4/7/2020 at 1:27 PM, Dunny said:

Lovely work John! :clap2:

Thanks Dunny :)

On 4/7/2020 at 9:52 PM, The Spadgent said:

It is! 😇 I built one just before the jug I’m on at the moment. Lovely little kit. 

Johnny.

ps. Lovely office by the way. 👍

Thanks Johnny - I did play with doing the airfix kit - I've seen some very nice finished examples - yours was quite spectator - loved the scheme you went with :) However 1/48 has kind of stolen my heart :) 

A little more progress to show. Next up was the gun bay - this will be exposed on the finished model so I wanted to make sure it looked the part. The walls were painted with Mr Color silver 8 - then I painted in some shadows with Alclad Steel which is a dark brown colour - not sure how effective this was but it certainly dirtied things up.  I followed that with a a good splattering of Tamiya Panel line wash black with the excess mopped up with a cotton bud. 

SAIBvNS.jpg

The guns where first painted with Alclad steel - but I wasn't sure on the colour so went over them slightly with Tamiya X10 - Gunmetal - but turns out this is basically the same colour, so that was kinda pointless. :) So I did a little dry brushing with the Silver 8 and finally a wash of Tamiya panel line black. 

XqpAenf.jpg

It's hard to photograph this as it's metalic but hopefully you get the idea - the wall and base sections were also dry brushed to make them look a little more worn and burnished. 

VEg0SM5.jpg

Putting it all together, I added some of the Eduard PE - some wiring which actually fit well and looked nice to my eye - I've never bothered with the "wires" you often get on these frets - so was surprised when they looked the part. 

vnaQmcL.jpg

Once this was complete, I tested out the fit with the fuselage. 

vDDfp6S.jpg

bGQtPCn.jpg

And with the wing section: 

D5neO8f.jpg

The fit on this is very nice so far - which is great as I've really struggled on the last few projects - where you need to fight the kit at every step. I don't mind a little complexity when building but if it's a constant battle, it really destroys my mojo.  Sometimes a nice shake and bake kit is just what the doctor ordered. 

Nf4cdEQ.jpg

So everything looks good so far - the next step will be the wheel bays and then closing up the fuselage. 

Cheers

John

• Like 7

Hi all - hope everyone is surviving their house arrest okay - I am mostly good but as we have small kids in the house it can sometimes be a struggle. I'm able to sneak a little time at the bench each day so I have that going for me. Nowhere nearly as much time as I would like!  But you gotta do whatever it takes to keep things ticking along. 

On 4/10/2020 at 7:17 PM, The Spadgent said:

The gun bay looks stonking. Bravo. The wires really do add to the overall effect. 👍

Thanks Johnny - I was in two minds about using these but I think they can work, especially if they're lining a wall or something - they don't look quite so 2 dimensional :)

So some progress to show... 

With the gun bay complete, I turned to getting the fuselage half's together which meant some work on the main wheel bay: 

cx0xxZC.jpg

The gun bay was attached to the metal forward wheel bay that's supplied in the kit - this is a nice addition by Tamiya and means that the model won't be a tail sitter - one less thing to worry about. 

The fuselage insides were painted with Mr Color Silver 8 - I painted the oxygen tanks with Tamiya Field blue as per the instructions - then it was dirtied up with some panel line wash. With these parts complete, I could close up the fuselage. 

f53vHYt.jpg

This was a tricky process as I had to use both CA and cement - CA for where the metal wheel bay joins and CA everywhere else. The fit was very good however so everything went together very easily. The wings where then attached: 

veBUu5E.jpg

Again the fit was good - a few little gaps here and there but nothing that can't easily be remedied. 

I added some PE wiring to the main wheel bay: 

lfsTnyT.jpg

I still need to glue the wires to the underside of the cockpit tub - and press the PE closer to the wall - I tend to glue these bits in place first at a couple of points first and after a day push the rest of it into place.  I'll put a wash on them also so that they're not so clean looking. 

orNOtnR.jpg

The nose section was added after I drilled out holes for the gun ports - there was a slight gap which was filled with perfect plastic putty. 

A small gap on the starboard wing root also got some PPP

uMNMrK8.jpg

The join where the wing section meets the fuselage on the underside had a slight issue - there was a slight step - so I put on some tamiya white putty - this will be left to dry for a few hours before I sand it smooth. I'll need to rescribe and rivet this area later but it shouldn't be too hard. 

Lh09Z6e.jpg

Finally I attached the resin parts to the wing for the exposed engine - probably the most ill fitting part of this build but it seemed to fit into place without too much fuss - I'll need to spend some time filling and sanding this area but again, I don't think it will be too hard. 

R4BNDGj.jpg

So I'll continue with the main construction for now - there are a few problem areas that need cleaning up but it all seems straight forward at this point. I'm aiming to get primer on this week and hopefully start painting soon after that. But it usually takes me a while to get to the painting starting whistle but we'll see how things go. 

Cheers - see you soon. 

John

• Like 8