Lamborghini Countach LP400 - An orange wedge of cheese

So here we go, this is my interpretation of Aoshima's excellent Lamborghini Countach LP400. I've always preferred the original Countach before it sprouted wings, wheel arches, massive tyres etc., so this one appealed straight away. It was a bit daunting when I opened the box, but in truth this is a very well engineered kit with very few issues. It's probably the best kit I've built so far, and I have to admit that the end result, being completely out of the box, is 90% down to Aoshima with only a small input from me.

I'll start by apologising in advance if you feel there are too many photos (and I will admit that this post is very photo heavy), but the Countach is a very striking and photogenic car.

The build thread is here if anyone wants to see how it came together.

First up, the engine bay, which to my eyes looks very good even though it's one of those where you only really build the bits you can see, Still pretty effective though:

49713892227_094cd24d30_c.jpg

Then it's onto the interior. the doors can be placed in the closed or open positions by means of removing them and positioning the hinge arm into one of two positions in the A-pillar - simple but effective. This also has the advantage that for photography you can remove the door completely giving an unusually clear view of the interior of the car:

49713036728_d62d0bb0d2_c.jpg

It's never the easiest thing to show the underside, particularly of a low slung sports car, but hopefully the mirror shots will give an rough idea. The parts underneath are all separate, with the coil springs (all six of them), being particularly effective at sucking time. And you can't even see them in these shots...

49713892657_2092ac2e84_c.jpg

49713892487_c4044e646c_c.jpg

And now it's time for the walkaround the car which I usually put in these RFIs. The trouble is that as opening the doors makes such a difference to the look of the car, I'm afraid there are in effect two walkarounds, hence lots of photos.

First up, with everything closed. I mention at the end of the build thread about the doors not quite fitting perfectly. the truth is that they sit quite loosely and adding the door cards and chassis seems to have ever so slightly flattened the shape - they still fit in the door gap but now sit a little proud at the top.

49713034458_36eedbacf2_c.jpg

49713890497_fd4e753b99_c.jpg

49713890577_c878c8fb59_c.jpg

49713890657_cf6f8085e3_c.jpg

49713034833_60b2c801cf_c.jpg

49713890907_03e44986aa_c.jpg

49713890997_cfc5ea33b0_c.jpg

49713572356_338bdfbce8_c.jpg

After that little lot, here's some (not as many) of it with the doors open. Those metal pins look good, but the boot one is a bit of a pain as it has a penchant for diving into the engine bay when you're trying to prop up the engine cover. Even so, it's still a good idea and looks much better than my usual method of supporting a bonnet (i.e. putting a cocktail stick in there).

49713891177_0e3b3a1483_c.jpg

49713891292_f7ab474565_c.jpg

49713035728_06fb133e78_c.jpg

49713891787_67d661d3fb_c.jpg

49713036163_f6aaeac076_c.jpg

If you made it this far, thanks for looking in. All comments and constructive criticism welcome, I'm improving but still a fair way from getting a 10/10 model.

• Like 29

That looks stunning!  Can the headlights also be switched between raised and lowered, or do they need to be glued in place to have them raised?

• Thanks 1

Excellent build Spiny, I can see no faults. As usual, everything is where and how it should be. I have to agree with @Codger though, you really need to show off your skills some more 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Great work some colours suit certain cars better than others and you nailed it with your choice. I particularly like the pic's with the doors open showing your fine work on the interior. Excellent build that you should be very proud of 👍

• Thanks 1

That looks fantastic and a great colour choice!  The Countach is my favourite Lamborghini, I guess it all depends on the current model when you are in your early teens.

Got an ancient Tamiya LP500S to build, complete with battery box and motor to drive round the living room carpet!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone who looked and liked - I am very humbled at the response this one has got. And, although I've said it many times, I can't overemphasize how good a kit Aoshima have produced here. I don't have much in the way of artistic ability, but I can follow instructions so if I produce a good looking model a lot of that will be down to the kit manufacturer.

20 hours ago, Paul H said:

That looks stunning!  Can the headlights also be switched between raised and lowered, or do they need to be glued in place to have them raised?

Unfortunately, this kit isn't one where you can raise of lower the headlights at will. You do get the option to fit them in the up or down position, but once installed that's it. I haven't seen many Countaches around with the headlights raied, so though this might make it a bit different. That and the fact that there's a lot of parts to each light and it seemed a shame to hide them :)

20 hours ago, Codger said:

A first rate build mate. For next time:

Take closer-up photos - your work is that good.

Build in bigger scales - see reason above.

:winkgrin:

Thanks but closer photos will show up the flaws I've almost concealed in these photos! But I'll have a go at taking some close-ups next time I get chance. The interior and engine shots are as close as I can manage though - the camera was almost touching the model as it was when I took those. As for the bigger scales, I can't deny that the results I see on here from many people (including yourself) are fantastic, but financial and spatial considerations (not to mention stash content...) will keep me at 1/24 for a while yet. Plus this size fits very nicely in the display cabinet and I don't want to fill that up too quickly!

7 hours ago, malpaso said:

That looks fantastic and a great colour choice!  The Countach is my favourite Lamborghini, I guess it all depends on the current model when you are in your early teens.

Got an ancient Tamiya LP500S to build, complete with battery box and motor to drive round the living room carpet!

Glad that the colour choice proved popular. but I must confess that it was very heavily influenced by a Matchbox version of this car I had when I was a kid - think I got that one when I was four. The early teens theory does fall a bit flat for me too - the LP400 was released before I was born and I was in my early teens the Countach was coming to the end of production. On that theory I should be going for some of the latest models or a Diablo. Looking forward to seeing what you make of that Tamiya though - I could be wrong but I think that may have been the first 1/24 car they built?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Spiny said:

I don't have much in the way of artistic ability, but I can follow instructions so if I produce a good looking model a lot of that will be down to the kit manufacturer.

Objection Your Honour! The witness is downplaying his abilities again. 

Sustained! 🙂 

Just sayin' Spiny, everbody has his or her way of making a model, and you are very good at how you do it!

• Thanks 1

I watched this from the start. 

You have made a really spectacular replica!

When Hiroboy re-opens, I'll have to get me one of these...

Cheers,

Alan.

• Thanks 1

Excellent model.  Really nice build and great to see it has a vast array of display options that you can chop and change as your mood suits.

Great color to draw attention and your right, i love these angular bidy shapes a lot too.

Excellent build as always,

Coops

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Objection Your Honour! The witness is downplaying his abilities again. 

Sustained! 🙂 

Just sayin' Spiny, everbody has his or her way of making a model, and you are very good at how you do it!

You're too kind - while I can undertake the technical side of drawing (or indeed model making) reasonably well, I don't really have much in the way of creative flair, nor the ability to get my hand to do what my mind wants without the use of a tool. I guess that's why I became an engineer rather than an artist.

Anyway, yourself and Codger (at least) asked for some close-ups so I had a go at getting some tonight - I hope this is what you were looking for as I can't get in any closer to the interior and engine than the shots in the post above. Not all that easy when the lens of the camera is bigger than the wheel of the car! I can honestly say that there is no dust visible on the car, either now or when I took the photos, but at the micro scale it appears from the camera that there is loads :(

And first up, here is one of said wheels:

49720953073_4f1cb65cb6_c.jpg

A side-on view of the car which doesn't quite blur out how the door doesn't line up properly:

49721802892_5c08fd0b4f_c.jpg

A view of the back end of the car which really emphasises the decal film :(

49720952613_af6111618c_c.jpg

This is one of the interior I took on Sunday from the opposite side of the car, but refrained from posting to avoid too many photos:

49713036823_df947a7399_c.jpg

A close-up of one of the headlights:

49721488371_6dfddb8a7c_c.jpg

And then I'm afraid I started playing around with a work-light for a few more dramatic shots, starting with the same view as above:

49721802967_2792d832e9_c.jpg

49721802317_31ae545905_c.jpg

This is the tail light I broke removing from the sprue - I think I dodged a bullet with this one:

49721488066_cb007279db_c.jpg

Driver's side engine air intakes

49721802457_d05d806df4_c.jpg

And finally another one of the whole car

49721802542_9df637f43f_c.jpg

Hope you like the pics - I had a bit of fun playing around with the light and camera so the later shots here are a bit of a self-indulgence.

• Like 8

That looks pretty darn good to me! Very 1970s, in the best way -- an excellent colour combination. And it's true, the LP400 is the nicest looking of all the Countach variants. It still looks stunning today, but just imagine what people must have thought when they first saw that shape as the successor to the Miura...

best,

M.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

That looks pretty darn good to me! Very 1970s, in the best way -- an excellent colour combination. And it's true, the LP400 is the nicest looking of all the Countach variants. It still looks stunning today, but just imagine what people must have thought when they first saw that shape as the successor to the Miura...

best,

M.

So true - just think, when the concept was unveiled the Morris Marina was just starting production :doh:

• Haha 1