Spitfire bare metal

jhutchi

Evening all, 

I have not built anything in almost 3 years but with the lock down situation at the moment I thought that I would get something built. 

My idea is for an old Airfix 1:24 Spitfire Mk Ia from sometime in the 1600s I think and to do her in foil as a bare metal machine before anything else gets done to her. 

What parts are fabric covered (so therefore painted) and is there anything else that would need to be painted any other colours? 

Thanks

afair the ailerons, elevators and rudder were the only fabric parts on the Spitfire 1a, and up to late Mk.V series. Everything else was aluminium alloy, except the navigation light lenses/covers of course and the mahogany or teak wood aerial insulator on the top of the rudder

55 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

afair the ailerons, elevators and rudder were the only fabric parts on the Spitfire 1a, and up to late Mk.V series. Everything else was aluminium alloy, except the navigation light lenses/covers of course and the mahogany or teak wood aerial insulator on the top of the rudder

Thanks. That's kind of where I was. So everything (wheel bays, gun bays, cockpit) would be aluminium? 

Wasn’t the aircraft primed with silver paint therefore fabric surfaces would be painted silver.

What mark of Spitfire was it that Bader got the fabric ailerons changed for metal ones?

No, actually it was Mk.IIa, Spitfire Special (Apple tree print) booklet referrs to ˝Johnnie˝ Johnson's book Wing Leader in which he states that in early summer 1941 Mk.V's significantly improved rate of roll ˝prompted Bader and the other pilots of the Tangmere wing to find out where the new metal ailerons were being manufactured. It was discovered that Air Service Training at Hamble near Southampton were making them, after which a delegation flew down to the factory to meet the management. Somehow an order was placed to fit out the Tangmere Wing's Spitfire Mk.IIs with these new metal ailerons and it was arranged that the aircraft be flown in, one by one, to have the modification carried out!˝. Apparently Bader's P7966 was the first aircraft to be so modified. Cheers

Jure

• Like 2

1 hour ago, melvyn hiscock said:

Isn’t the kit supplied with (incorrect) metal ailerons? I vaguely remember them Ben converted in the book that came out about the same time as the kit.

They are metal covered ailerons in the kit, so if you are modelling an aircraft in service during summer of 1940 or earlier, yes, fill the rivets and add some rib tapes.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

And fabric covered surfaces done in red shrinking dope, then aluminium dope for UV protection, then any camouflage colour required

And normally done off the aircraft, balanced when finished then fitted to the aircraft.

Dave