1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36A - late 1943 Sicily

Here is my second late attempt for the P-51 STGB that recently ended.  The Accurate Miniatures 1/48 A-36, which is actually isn't too bad of a kit.  Blemishes not as bad on this one, but their are a few easy ones to see.  Just glad to be done.......but now to get better as we progress on future builds.

Build Thread

Kit: 1/48 Accurate Miniatures A-36A

Aftermarket:  Ultracast Seat, Quickboost Gun Barrels, True Details Wheels, Moskit Metal Exhausts

Decals:  SuperScale

Paints:  Various Tamiya's

Weathering:  Various washes from AK and Mig, some stains/streaks from Winsor Newton oil mixes

Original

49445701716_1a524111e7_c.jpg

Model version

49711860613_77da89b5cb_c.jpg

49712718587_56fd6b99ea_c.jpg

49712718487_ea3715a012_c.jpg

49712718672_ed42b1de5e_c.jpg

49712718747_7c5f2dfc06_c.jpg

49712718422_2aa7a1e96b_c.jpg

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
Fixed typos, corrected aftermarket
  • Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Hey BlueNoser, excellent work! I’ve got a soft spot for these Allison-powered P-51’s, in my opinion they are the best looking of the P-51 family. I recently finished up the F-6B boxing of this kit. While there are a few issues with the kit (cockpit details are a little soft and some things are left out, wheel bays incorrect, and the pylons are later-model equipment), it still makes for a nice representation.

I like what you’ve done with the weathering, especially the underside. Compared to the photo you posted, the topside could have gone even further! What amazes me is how long these planes were in service... they just kept plugging away. I also like that you were brave enough to cut the canopy open! I’m too chicken for that haha.

As far as posting the link to your WIP and getting the preview, I think all you need to do is copy and paste the link like so:

There it is!

Anyway, Thanks for sharing this with us. Off to read the WIP thread now!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RadMax8 said:

I like what you’ve done with the weathering, especially the underside. Compared to the photo you posted, the topside could have gone even further! What amazes me is how long these planes were in service... they just kept plugging away. I also like that you were brave enough to cut the canopy open! I’m too chicken for that haha.

Thanks for the kind words.  Don't look to close to the open canopy.........it's a little rough.  Wasn't sure what to do with the upper side.  At this point I am just glad to be done.  Learned some new things..........good and bad.

Wow, the link thing was easy.  :doh:  THANKS!

7 hours ago, Darwinism said:

Nice one - haven’t seen one of these built for a few years.

Thank you!  Although I really don't like OD Mustangs, they are kinda boring looking compared to the Natural Metal counter parts............but it does make me want to build another one of the many AM kits I have in the stash.  That first pic of mine really makes the urge pop up again.