1/48 Flapjack

This is the Kitty Hawk kit. Something of a mixed bag, there is some really nice crisp surface detail, fit is mostly good if you don't mind a little fettling first, and then there are the thickest decals I have ever seen; really not good even after a ton of decal softener. They are more like stickers, but they don't stick. Recommended if you are aware of the challenges.

I also dispensed with the arrestor hook, filled over and rescribed the recess for it. The "gaps" on the upper surfaces panels were left deliberately, these are opening doors, to vent the exhaust I believe.

49712391971_66aa59cffb_b.jpg

49712391871_227c73185e_b.jpg

49712714722_1da59c7c91_b.jpg

49712714682_1d8acff6c5_b.jpg

49712391876_4cab659bd2_b.jpg

49712714612_f22743fab1_b.jpg

• Like 29

That turned out really nice. I like the very subtle panel line wash. It is so easy to over do the accent. My twisted side says to do one of these and paint it white with

a yellow circle on the top and convert it to and egg-plane.😉    Oh yeah!  The horizontal tail plane could be a piece of bacon. ……  Now I'm starting to get hungry.

Edited by Todders
after thought
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Previous reviews (elsewhere) I'd read showed this to be a challenge to build. You've done a very nice job on it. Impressive build.

Very nice model !  

I like the way you kept the weathering to a minium.  Afterall it was a prototype and was very clean.

B.t.w. I did one years ago in scratch and in 1/48 from an old Air Enthusiat article.

Cheerts

JohnHaa

Very nice pancake, sans butter and syrup! IIRC those outlets on the upper wing were to exhaust hot air from the oil cooler; the exhaust appears to be routed out the bottom of the nacelles via  teardrop-shaped exhaust ports. I have the Hasegawa 1/72 kit, and while it is very nice, like the Kittyhawk kit, it has some issues as well. See the link to a short video clip.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2yzoMt6etc