Barracuda!! Finished

rob85

With my B-25 pretty much finished, apart from the inner flaps that have mysteriously gone missing since the flood, and Belfast getting to the point of painting, with paints I don’t have yet.... soooo why not start something else! 

Having looked through all the threads I can’t find one for the lovably awkward (not as bad a as the gannet) barracuda! And it just so happens i was bought the special hobby kit for Christmas, fortuitous. 

it can’t be a navy GB without this beauty!

c2yxH9w.jpg

I’ll be going for the option on the box art

0wkhkCp.jpg

and the kit looks lovely, also the instructions look rather delightful too

Mw4MBYF.jpg

0AB4W0m.jpg

HG6ZDkY.jpg

and it come with a special little bag for the flat observation windows as this was a modified version, according to the instructions.

m5DfQGg.jpg

any how, I’ll start this when I get a bit of time

be back soon!

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Like 17

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Looks a more detailed kit than the Frog one I built as a kid :D 

Cheers,

Stew

Not exactly difficult Stew - the Frog one was very basic indeed. I had fun building a more representative interior to the fuselage, complete with the various "roofs" between the compartments to fill that gaping hole.

Pete

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I’ve been cracking on with this but had a lot on so have completely neglected to update the thread!! Sorry about that!

so here goes, I might do this in stages!

biHXP0f.jpg
inside paintwork and seating etc.

mz9xhOH.jpg
XYS7eza.jpg
UvoyvPv.jpg

I had to drill out the placement for the controls as a) the stick it’s ridiculously long, and b) wouldn’t stick to a butt join and actually be safe!

rh7c2fK.jpg

wheel wells

DCO4kU8.jpg

And this kids have been cracking on with their little builds too!

aWOEAhd.jpg

RZmaGjb.jpg

4NH9man.jpg

another update to follow.

Rob

• Like 10

I have to say everything is so vague about where things should go, it’s very frustrating, I dry fitted as much as I could but it still wasn’t fun!

Which all lead to this

fsqHvXL.jpg

and I think that probably lead to this

FQZPOr6.jpg

the tail was completely off and needed a shim to straighten it back out, which was a pain! 

and all the seems needed a real heavy sand and filling with gloop.

nVZaMCj.jpg

EoFBVyu.jpg

pCMfRZ0.jpg

5OedL51.jpg

oh and the wings went on, I tried my best to get rid of the step on the left, but it’s still there. I would have had to remove all the detail and then try and re instate it which is beyond my skill! So sorry.

the seem on the underside I just couldn’t make disappear so it shall be covered by the torpedo, please don’t tell anyone!

xQKVasH.jpg

it was given gloop and sanding and filler and polishing after this but I gave up.

but I did remove a glue finger print!

ROo0jwR.jpg

so I then moved on to a first few coats of paint.

This is the slate grey, but it’s too dark so lightened after.

9Iybykn.jpg

xOJ63GW.jpg

and sky, then masked the edges for the last few coats and further painting.

ga5FTyF.jpg

Dr7M0KO.jpg

A further update in a sec!

Rob

• Like 11

So then I mixed my own EDSG, from tamiya paints as I’m all out and I’ve don’t this before to good effect.

I didn’t get many pictures of the painting process but basically here it is with the little white lines and panels still in primer. 

ZHGb2cd.jpg

7owfpUr.jpg

NaFVKEA.jpg

shes now had a tidy up and a cote of aqua gloss.

lXSosQX.jpg

I don’t know why but on the one wing the sky is darker, I must have not mixed the paint well enough, which is really annoying or had a little bit of green on the brush.

UYsFTbc.jpg

any way, we will leave it there. I’ve done a bit of work on the prop and spinner, but nothing worth showing yet. 

it’s not the finest work in my opinion but I think it will come out good! Or at least hope it will!

Rob

• Like 13

4 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

Hey, that's looking very Barracuda Rob, great work! Looks like the fit on this kit leaves much to be desired.

cheers Cookie!

Well when I read reviews it said it went together well, so I kinda thinking, it’s probably me! I definitely feel I could have paid more attention in the build and thought more about how I would paint it... but I’m not getting much thinking time at the moment! Too busy keeping children and girlfriend entertained.

Rob

• Like 2

You are getting a good result Rob for your efforts.  Special Hobby kits are not easy but are a basis from which good models can be built if you hang in there, as I am discovering with my Buffalo.

AW

• Like 2

Cheers all but it’s gone a bit pear shaped....

gAIqBUk.jpg

ehATsnt.jpg

utodWWz.jpg

notice anything missing?

the decals were very well behaved but I slipped with one in the boiling water, it came lose from the backing paper and welded itself to the side of the plastic pot.... I’m so annoyed with myself!

anyone not using their set of these decals!! 

Rob

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

Looking good despite the missing decal.  Airframe in the process of having its markings applied?  (Ooh get me, using terms like “airframe”)

AW

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Rats, I just checked, I have the 'Home Fleet' boxing and so don't have that one.

It's looking sweet though Rob, and it looks like the transfers molded nicely to the panel lines.

It’s ok I’ll figure something out in the long run! Thank you for he thought though cookie.

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

Looking good despite the missing decal.  Airframe in the process of having its markings applied?  (Ooh get me, using terms like “airframe”)

AW

I think I’ll just finish it as is and only ever display it one way, try not to let any one know! Airframe, ooooooo get you, you sound like you know what your talking about!

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Just caught up Rob - nice work and good to see the kids getting indoctrinated involved too :D 

Ha yeah the boy wants it done properly but the girl wanted to to ‘look like a cookie plane that delivered cookie rations’. She was not impressed when she realised it looked like a German desert aircraft! 

cheers all

Rob

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, rob85 said:

Cheers all but it’s gone a bit pear shaped....

gAIqBUk.jpg

ehATsnt.jpg

utodWWz.jpg

notice anything missing?

the decals were very well behaved but I slipped with one in the boiling water, it came lose from the backing paper and welded itself to the side of the plastic pot.... I’m so annoyed with myself!

anyone not using their set of these decals!! 

Rob

Looking good, all the same.  I've got a model with codes on one side only.

I just checked, the Frog Barracuda is 371 A,  you're welcome to my leftover set - if nothing else turns up.

Are your kids wearing their prison stripey tops????

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi Rob,

That's a shame. I probably have one or two Frog sheets also, and normally I would be able to print my own, but the font is a bit unusual by the look of it as the "7" seems to have a slight curve. I will have a look at my stock sheets but am not hopeful. Any idea waht size they are - eg 24", 30" etc?

Pete

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theplasticsurgeon said:

Looking good, all the same.  I've got a model with codes on one side only.

I just checked, the Frog Barracuda is 371 A,  you're welcome to my leftover set - if nothing else turns up.

Are your kids wearing their prison stripey tops????

Thanks I may take you up on that offer as could turn the 1 to a 4.

prison uniform 😃 yeah we run a tight ship here!

27 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Rob,

That's a shame. I probably have one or two Frog sheets also, and normally I would be able to print my own, but the font is a bit unusual by the look of it as the "7" seems to have a slight curve. I will have a look at my stock sheets but am not hopeful. Any idea waht size they are - eg 24", 30" etc?

Pete

Thanks Pete, I’m not sure on size, would need to check. Yeah the font isn’t one I’ve seen before which is annoying as could have made them from stock!

• Haha 3

I’m going to carry on regardless for now as you will see below.

I've added the pokey out bits on the wings and assembled the prop. I masked the canopy and the gave it a cote of clear followed by paint which hasn’t worked as well as I would hope.

Prop

H0YoQx0.jpg

pUchZTI.jpgfew touch ups needed and it’s yellow band.

tcGe3cc.jpg

canopy masked and the airframe has been weathered to look a like the salty sea dog it is.

2mZatAJ.jpg
salty sea dog

Mcyt90E.jpg
canopy glued and masks removed lots of paint lift!!

T0ErLzF.jpg

so here she stays for now, canopy painted by hand, tooth pick will be used to tidy it up the another cote of aqua gloss.

all that will be left after that is undercarriage, rear struts, aerial on canopy, landing light fitted and final weathering/ matte cote and I’ll be calling her finished.

Rob 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, Alan P said:

You painted that canopy by hand? Wow! :goodjob:

Glad you kept persevering, decals can be added later 👍

Well I repainted it by hand, with a tiny tiny brush. I like how it’s turning out, so will crack on with it.

cheers for the kind comments.

Rob

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Oh I don’t think I mentioned I masked and painted out the deleted roundel on the far wing, I don’t know port and starboard so let’s just say drivers side.

Ah, so the left side then, wait - the right.

That looks SO cool Rob.

• Haha 2