Anyone know what a gundam is.

kpnuts

Hi all, as a little light relief from the Cutty Sark I wanted to build something I've never done before, has anyone built a robot before.

I've ordered a gundam from bandai (the last of their kits I built was the Pendle princess and the rolls Royce balloon car) (both amazing kits) sadly no longer produced.

If this kit is any where near as good as those kits were it will be great.

I intending to do it (as I love all things old and rusty) neglected in a field somewhere. 

Looking forward to its arrival.

• Like 2

It's been a while since i've built any (probably about 15 years ago), but it's something I'm hoping to get back into at some point. What specific kit did you go for? There's quite a few different types and quality levels and such, whatever you went for though it'll be a colored plastic snap-fit thing (they're more like action figures, they're pose-able), although obviously you can paint it yourself. I'm also curious as to where from, some stuff can be a bit difficulty or overly expensive to get here unless you import it from Japan!

Edited by TheVoidDragon

I think that's a RX-178 Gundam MkII. I can't recall what the flying backpack attachment was called though. Bandai make that kit in several scales and detail levels. 

The kit will be press fit, so no glue is required. As a result be careful doing any test fitting as it may be difficult to get the pieces apart again. There is a tool you can get to pry them apart if desired. 

Other than that, I think it should make a nice low stress build. 

As for what a Gundam is, it is based on a Japanese animated series about a boy who hops in a giant mech after his planet is attacked and turns into an ace pilot. Since then there have been numerous series and movies. 

Carl

A more literal answer to your question of what a Gundam is...  From good old Wikipedia:

The Yatate team combined the English word "gun" with the last syllable of the word "freedom" to form the portmanteau Gundom. Tomino changed it to Gundam, suggesting a unit wielding a gun powerful enough to hold back enemies like a hydroelectric dam holding back water.[7] In keeping with the concept, Gundams are depicted as prototypes or limited-production, with higher capabilities than mass-produced units.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam

Matt

This is my main genre so I know a bit..

Gundams are robots known as mobile suits from the Mobile Suit Gundam Franchise. Not all mobile suits are Gundams though, Gundams are one off prototypes (or very limited production runs) which work as test beds for mass production units. Modern series hand out Gundams like candy so every faction has some of them in some fashion. Their distinct features are the large V-fin on the forehead and the humanoid face with a goat-e on the bottom. Outside of that they can be almost any size and shape.

The one you got is the Super Gundam, which is a mid season upgrade to the Gundam MK-II, where it gets the G Defensor support unit. It appears in Zeta Gundam and ZZ Gundam as the hero's first Gundam and then later the hand me down when the newer machines start rolling out. You can find a video here covering the base MK-II, turn on Closed captions for subtitles. The video shows it in Titans colours, which is then repainted into AEUG colours which is the only colour scheme the Super Gundam comes in.

I think you got the High Grade Universal Century version, unless you posted the wrong picture in the post since it comes in different size kits. I did a brief article on it on my website if you want a quick run down of grades and scales here. In your case you got the most common and one of the easiest to build scales, the High Grade Universal Century is the work horse line of Gundam kits, sees a new release or two every month and is great for learning the fundamentals. The Super Gundam is a few years old so it doesn't have as many modern gimmicks but it's a great first build to learn how things go together and figure out things like panel lining. It will be snap fit and won't require any glue, but the V-fin benefits from it so it doesn't end up accidentally getting lost. If you're not comfortable painting then it comes with stickers which can be applied to the head to make it closer to the shows look. All the details molded so a steady hand will work better if you're comfortable with it. If you want to know know what you're in for or research any kits in the future Dalong.net has everything stock built and panel lined. Here's the HGUC Super Gundam page. If you're searching it make sure to set the language to English as it defaults to Korean.

• Like 2

I think you have all the info you need but it you want to have a look at some builds there is a thread of mine that is all Bandai Gundam kits. It's not the most informative but you might get something from it. 

The kit you have orded is quite basic and will have a few seams to deal and one or two rubbish stickers with other is a very nice kit. 

On 4/3/2020 at 8:59 AM, rockpopandchips said:

I think you have all the info you need but it you want to have a look at some builds there is a thread of mine that is all Bandai Gundam kits. It's not the most informative but you might get something from it. 

The kit you have orded is quite basic and will have a few seams to deal and one or two rubbish stickers with other is a very nice kit. 

I've got that Super Gundam model. It's an easy model abet an old one.  However it is the only one I am aware off in HG/RG Scale that comes with the G-Defensor.  Still a good model though, I always loved the headpack for the vulcan. Plus it's the prototype for the Hazel line of Gundams of sorts. I think it'll be a good kit to start with. :). Reminds me that I keep on meaning to rebuild mine.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has been very informative.  I hope that no one minds me adding my questions to this thread.

My focus is 1/48 modern aircraft and I have yet to venture in Gundam models, but my brother gave me a Gundam kit as present. 

spacer.png

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0878/5254/products/4573102577061_1_720x.png?v=1587893849

spacer.png

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0878/5254/products/4573102577061_3.jpg?v=1587628473

As I watched  Macross and Uchu Senkan Yamato/ Starblazers in my youth, I must confess to almost complete ignorance about the Gundam franchise.   (That said, the "stay-at-home" orders has afforded me the opportunity to watch Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin Advent of the Red Comet, Gundam Unicorn and Gundam Thunderbolt.)

I have a few questions -

1) Which Gundam series is this figure from?  Gundam UC?

2)  As I do I have some experience building 1/48 modern aircraft kits, I have "cross genre" questions -

a) Is this a glue-type model or is it a press-fit?

b) Do these kits have water slide decals?

c)  I'm aware that many Bandai kit have pre-colored sprues and I saw "Gundam Paint" markers in the hobby shop, can I simply use my Tamiya and Model Master paints without issue?

d) Are there any specialized tools, fillers and/or adhesives for Gundam kits that I wouldn't normally have modelling 1/48 modern aircraft?

e) Are there any specialized skills/ techniques particular to Gundam kits that I wouldn't normally have modelling 1/48 modern aircraft?

Thanks in advance for your advice.  Be safe, stay healthy, and keep modelling!

Hi John,

I'll try an help as much as I can.

This Gundam is the RX-78 NT-1 "Alex". It's from the series "Gundam 0080 : War in the Pocket" and is from the UC time line. It is one of my favourite designs, I have a model of it sitting on my monitor at work.

As for building it, you can glue it and some parts might benefit from being glued but for the most part the pushfit design will be good enough.  If you've built 1/48 scale aircraft you can use those skills for this (MG kits work out at 1/100 scale btw). I believe that this kit has dry rub decals as well as stickers. Might be worth asking @rockpopandchips as MG kits are more his area, I only build HG kits. You can paint it however which way you want to, you can follow your instructions or you can do your own colour scheme. Totally upto you! I use Tamiya/Vallejo paints on my kits with no issues so you'll be fine. :)

Look forward to seeing this one built. Quite tempted myself tbh. Don't get weighed down with the details - have fun building it your way! If you have any questions, give us a shout.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thank you Dazz!   

I'm adding "Gundam 0080 : War in the Pocket" to my watchlist!   

The kit will go into the build queue, but ahead of are two of the excellent and enjoyable 1/48 Tamiya F-14As.   

15 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

@John B I have not seen this kit myself but it has very good reviews, it's a newly released kit but this will help.

Thank you!  That video has some in-depth descriptions and clearly illustrates the amount of "pre-colored" parts that I've been told that Bandai does so well.

Edited by John B

Something that I hadn't considered was the tight tolerances on Bandai's Gundam kits.  Since the kit parts are pre-colored, does it painting parts cause fit issues?

(My normal sequence is to prime plastic parts with Tamiya lacqured-based primer followed by painting with acrylics, airbrushing a gloss coat, applying decals, applying washes and airbrushing a matt coat to seal everything.)

I've learned that there are aftermarket water-slide decals available to replace the adhesive markings supplied in the kit. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Hope no one minds me asking in this thread, but where is the best UK place to get kits? I've thought about getting one of the cheaper models, preferably a Hobby Grade kit at as close to £10 as I can get, but pretty much every UK-based site I've seen is out of stock of nearly everything except for some that I think just look ugly (The basic mass-produced mobile suits). I've checked every UK-based site that I can find and I just can't figure out how to get an alright kit without having to resort to importing and paying shipping + potential customs and handling fees which would end up doubling the price at least.

Edited by TheVoidDragon

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2020 at 12:00 AM, TheVoidDragon said:

Hope no one minds me asking in this thread, but where is the best UK place to get kits? I've thought about getting one of the cheaper models, preferably a Hobby Grade kit at as close to £10 as I can get, but pretty much every UK-based site I've seen is out of stock of nearly everything except for some that I think just look ugly (The basic mass-produced mobile suits). I've checked every UK-based site that I can find and I just can't figure out how to get an alright kit without having to resort to importing and paying shipping + potential customs and handling fees which would end up doubling the price at least.

Hi VoidDragon,

Depends on what you mean by "best place". I personally import all my own kits but I buy them in bulk. So it works out cheaper. But the best place that I'm aware of in the UK would be GundamMad, but they've probably run into stock issues with every other shop I'd imagine.  Which Gundam was you looking into getting?  You might be lucky and find one on eBay. I found a Macross kit I've been after for 19 years just recently.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

• Like 1

@TheVoidDragonYou might want to try Hobby front line as well and if that doesn't work plazajapan or banzaihobby, both in Japan but the kits are considerably cheeper and even with postage often work cheeper than buying from the UK (that was until the world pandemic hit). 

https://hobbyfrontline.com/ 

On 5/8/2020 at 10:25 PM, John B said:

Since the kit parts are pre-colored, does it painting parts cause fit issues?

Yes is can be an issue, I mask of male peg or sand the paint off them before putting them back together. Doing some sort of sub assembly will often help.