1/48 Tamiya P-51B, Blue Nosed B, The Flying Scot II

Calling her done!  I didn't make it in time to post with all the other superb builds in the P-51 STGB that recently finished.  It's been many years since I finished a model, but every once and a while I'll get the bug to build a model, get part way through and never finish.  Lots of issues along the way to the point that many times I thought of just being done, selling everything and never touching a model again.  Which is odd, cause I quite like the building process.............right up until it's time to paint and then usually they come to a screeching halt.  I lost about 2.5 weeks on this build because of vacations............not that I would trade those vacations for anything.  Plus after getting back from my second vacation I just didn't want to build for the first week, so really more like 3.5 weeks lost.

Don't look close, this thing has issues.  But then again, it's been a while so I'm chalking it up to being rusty.  I'll give myself a C+ on this one and stay back 6 feet.   It looks best from there!

Build Thread

On to the Details............let's see if I got this right.

Kit: 1/48 Tamiya P-51B

Aftermarket:  Aires Interior, Ultracast Seat, Block Wheels, Exhaust and corrected flaps, resin propeller blades (not sure whose though)

Decals:  Eaglestrike, Custom printed "The Flying Scot II" based off Eaglestrike's and I think Superscale Stars/Bars (think the 3rd attempt on these)

Paints:  Fuselage - Alclad Duraluminum, Flaps/Aileron/Rudder - Alclad White Aluminum, Blue Nose - Custom mix starting with Floquil's German Imperial Infantry Blue, Various Tamiya's throughout the rest

Weathering:  Various washes from AK and Mig, some stains/streaks from Winsor Newton oil mixes

Original

49068694138_f734e2178d_c.jpg

Model version

49709704037_6356c7a2d0_c.jpg

49708846628_a4f3bdc70c_c.jpg

49709704207_23a6d634f3_c.jpg

49709381891_5b0a367e00_c.jpg

49709381546_f10854a430_c.jpg

Edited by BlueNosers352nd
Fix image URL
  • Like 13

17 minutes ago, Peter W said:

If that's a C+ then I can't wait to see your A game. It looks superb from a few thousand miles away though.

Pete

Thank you Peter!

Well, are we not our own worst critiques?  Their is one glaring issue on the starboard wing that isn't shown.  It's like the paint dried and crack, right along the white on the wing root side.  One decal issue on the underside star and bar that's hard to see.  Horrible issues getting the masks off, leading to touch-ups rather than redoing.  Quite a few other little blemishes and what not.  Need to work on a cleaner (sans blemishes) finish.

Probably being to harsh on myself.

Edited by BlueNosers352nd