Pearl Harbour Defenders...

Andre B

Hi, 

Concerning those P-40's defending Pearl Harbour I wonder if the edge between the green and the grey was hard edged or soft edged?

https://www.victorymodels.com/products/wolfpack-1-48-decal-p-40-warhawk-part-1-pearl-harbor-defenders-at-dec-7-1941

Cheers / André 

Edited by Andre B

According to (colour) pictures of contemporaneous P-40s in 'The Official Monogram US Army Air Service & Air Corps Aircraft Color Guide' by Archer the demarcation was soft-edged but the colours were not fading into each other.

On 3/29/2020 at 10:15 AM, Tail-Dragon said:

I find myself wondering why this P-40 appears to have the red dot painted out.  The available context suggests the photo was taken shortly after the Pearl Harbor raid.  I was under the impression that the red wasn't painted out of US cocardes until after Coral Sea.  Maybe a censor retouched the photo?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jackson, about the picture of the P-40B 300, I have it filed as having been taken in 1942 (no month), therefore the red dot would have already been covered.  Regarding the demarcations, they were soft, with variations of tightness (even in the same aircraft, see the one at the shooting range, tight on the sides of the air intake covers, soft around the front intake area), as you can see in the following pictures of P-40s in Hawaii.  I have seen pictures of factory-fresh P-40s (LIFE), and they have pretty tight demarcations, following the separation of the cowl covers, but I have not seen that patron in P-40Bs in Hawaii.  All of the following pictures show P-40s in Hawaii before the attack, except the LIFE one which is not Hawaii.

8YqT8c5h.jpg

NnhZLdVh.jpg

c5iaIQLh.jpg

CBqurMrh.jpg

Marco

• Like 1