Kuwait & Qatar Mirage F.1 colours

Hugh Thomson

I have two qustions:

First, does anyone know if Kuwaiti Mirage F.1s were camouflaged in the same shade of sand/brown as Qatari Mirage F.1s? In the photos online they can sometimes look quite similar.

Second - Special Hobby says the Qatari Mirage F.1B was Brown FS20117 and Sand FS20260. Does anyone know of a good match for FS20260 (FS30260)?

Building two F.1s at the moment. One Qatari - hopefully the second will be a Kuwaiti aircraft. But if I can't get comfortable with the colours of the latter she may end up as an aircraft of the airforce of Ecuador.

Hi,

I do not think that those are the same colors, at least not for the sand/ lighter color! the Kuwaiti one seems a lot more sandy, less yellow.. then of course the bottom is grey vs blue

4KUWAIT+MIRAGE+F1+P2012-06-02.jpg

another one

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5f/ac/05/5fac0570169e3ba2609740d1754fd1a3.jpg

32074329781_8f70d8a848_b.jpg

Mirage_F1_Qatar.jpg

NifuqPdfZtfkkwwxTgAOhgl5vijDi2xmUFSEtRHo

qa-72_4.jpg

at least my 2 cents!

• Like 1

BAsed on those photos I would actually say that they are the same colour - the middle two (so the Kuwaiti one in the museum and the Qatari one below it) have the closest colour caste to the background, and in those two the colours are much the same. Yes it's hard to say definitively, but this would be my interpretation.

• Like 1

Hmm...hard to say what the colors are, one of the banes of my model building; getting the colors correct! 

SOMEBODY makes a Free Kuwaiti A-4 kit (Fujimi?) and others (Colorado?) make Kuwaiti and Qatari decals for the F.1, A-4, and F/A-18 so a search for Kuwaiti or Qatari scale models or decals MIGHT be helpful for painting information.

Happy Hunting,

WARDOG

• Like 1

Qatari and Kuwaiti CK are not painted with the same colorsthe two countries have different paint scheme tradition... Qatari paint scheme is a revival of the RAF desert scheme of 1940 already applied on their Hunters and after that on their Alpha Jets. Indeed, PU66 paintings used by Dassault allow to reproduce any color, including FS or BS colors! Kuwait used different colors lighter, and F1CK and A-4KU share the same colors...

• Like 3

Ok, I wen through my decal stash:

Series Espanolas states FS 20117, 35250, 35231, Spain bought the Ex Qatari F1s

CARPENA states Sable Jaune,Y3251L FS20400; Brun Gris Y247L Fs 30 2/3 19, HU9; Bleu Vert, Fs 35231

Albatros states the smae as Series Espanolas for the F1EDA

Unfortunately and shockingly I could not find decals for the Kuwaiti F1s in my stash !!!

Albatros states FS 30279 for the light sand/brown on Iraqi F1s

Hope this helps!

Edited by exdraken
  • Like 1

Thankyou everyone for your input.

I'm comfortable on the Qatari aircraft - and I agree with Eclipse that they probably follow the markings used by their Hawker Hunters.  It's the Kuwaiti example where I am less sure. But I think I'll have to conclude that the Qatari and Kuwaiti aircraft are using different colours.

I have the old Carpena set of decals for the Mirage F.1 and this includes a Kuwaiti and a Qatari example. The Carpena decals say that both aircraft use FS30219, but a different shade for the scond colour. The Kuwaiti example is said to be FS30227, the Qatari, being FS30400.  But FS30227 seems too close to FS30219 for the contrast which appears in various photos. While FS30400 looks too light to me for the Qatari aircraft. 

Head scratching time.

Though I like Viasistina's idea of the Kuwaiti F.1 following French colours for the Jaguar, and I thought I could use one of the Berna decals set for French Jaguars in the Gulf War as a reference point. I checked the Hannants websit and Berna decals includes a Gulf War French Jaguar in a brown/tan/sand yellow colour where the brown and tan look just the ticket (there are humbrol references for both colours but I can't quite make these out).

Guess I'll have to buy the Berna decals to sort it out and then a Hobby Boss Jaguar to use the decals!!

• Like 1

I have found a Kuwaiti Mirage F-1 decal by Crapena on sheet 72.36, and it states that the colours are a follows:

Sable, Celomer 3251 FS30219.

Beige, Celom. 1280 FS30227.

Gris Clair, Celom. 1290 FS36496.

Hope that thisis of some help.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jabba said:

I have found a Kuwaiti Mirage F-1 decal by Crapena on sheet 72.36, and it states that the colours are a follows:

Sable, Celomer 3251 FS30219.

Beige, Celom. 1280 FS30227.

Gris Clair, Celom. 1290 FS36496.

Hope that thisis of some help.

Thanks VERY much for this.  This is extremely useful.

FS 33303 looks a bit of a challenge but hopefully I can get something near enough to be good enough.

14 hours ago, Viasistina said:

Gents..as promised, the link to French Air Force official colors.

https://ereverra.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/ere_copie_couleurs_reference_def_fr.pdf

in French of course.

Also very very helpful. Many thanks.

'She who must be obeyed' speaks French so if I promise to do some DIY that's been hanging around I should be able to get a good translation.

Just a general 'thankyou' to everyone. You've all been very helpful.

I have enough now to get one with my two Mirage F.1s - both a Kuwaiti and a Qatari example. 

• Like 1

I checked the 'IPMS color cross-reference' guide by Dave Klaus, and copied the following:

Kuwait: Desert Storm update page 2: Y3251 Sable Jaune (FS30219 exact match), 1280 Beige-Verdatre fonce (FS 33303 should be slightly darker) , 1290 Beige-gris verdatre (FS 36408 close match). The source is not mentioned.

Qatar: page 71: 3019, 20400, 35231, approximate matches, from reference Aerofax Minigraph 17 'Dassault Mirage F1'

Rob

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Viasistina said:

Morning Gents..I believe extracolor did the Free Kuwaiti colors. I built up the Kuwaiti A-4 as such and it is quite pleasing.

I did a word search of the Hannants site (using 'Kuwait', 'A-4' and 'Skyhawk') but nothing turned up - I have some old tins of Xtracolour (I stopped using enamels a while ago) so will dig them out and see what I have.

1 hour ago, Rob de Bie said:

I checked the 'IPMS color cross-reference' guide by Dave Klaus, and copied the following:

Kuwait: Desert Storm update page 2: Y3251 Sable Jaune (FS30219 exact match), 1280 Beige-Verdatre fonce (FS 33303 should be slightly darker) , 1290 Beige-gris verdatre (FS 36408 close match). The source is not mentioned.

Qatar: page 71: 3019, 20400, 35231, approximate matches, from reference Aerofax Minigraph 17 'Dassault Mirage F1'

Rob

Thanks.

Its the Kuwait aircraft that seems the more difficult. The FS33303 colour is a bit of a challenge as I've never been great at mixing paints.   There is always a mess, 'She who must be obeyed' gets annoyed and I get into trouble. Still, I will give it a go.

On 30/03/2020 at 18:35, exdraken said:

hope to seem them soon here on BM!

next to each other preferably!  ;)

I'll get there in the end but I am a bit of a slow modeller so you may have something of a wait.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hugh Thomson said:

Its the Kuwait aircraft that seems the more difficult. The FS33303 colour is a bit of a challenge as I've never been great at mixing paints.   There is always a mess, 'She who must be obeyed' gets annoyed and I get into trouble. Still, I will give it a go.

If you're using Humbrol, I would try mixing 72 and 121. Try various ratios of droplets, my best guess is 3:1.

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hugh Thomson said:

I did a word search of the Hannants site (using 'Kuwait', 'A-4' and 'Skyhawk') but nothing turned up - I have some old tins of Xtracolour (I stopped using enamels a while ago) so will dig them out and see what I have.

X325/326/327 are the Xtracolor Kuwaiti Skyhawk colors.

HTH,

Andre

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Hook said:

X325/326/327 are the Xtracolor Kuwaiti Skyhawk colors.

HTH,

Andre

Looks like these are no longer in the Xtracolour catalogue.  But I'll check my enamels.

Thanks

23 hours ago, Rob de Bie said:

If you're using Humbrol, I would try mixing 72 and 121. Try various ratios of droplets, my best guess is 3:1.

Rob

That looks doable. Thankyou.