Campbell-Railton Blue Bird 1933

9 minutes ago, klubman01 said:

BTW, what paint did you use for the tyres?  They look so realistic.

Thanks. This time I used Revell 9 "Matt Anthracite". The contact surface is smeared with Tamiya Weathering Master "light sand". For tire black I also use Humbrol 33 flat black with a bit of grey or green mixed in to brighten the blackness, to get a little variation.

• Like 1

That is superb and in the right setting could be mistaken for the 1:1.

Your attention to the smallest detail takes this to the next level, looking forward to seeing the finished  Bluebird now!

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot Roger, you are most kind.

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

looking forward to seeing the finished  Bluebird now!

It would have been finished right now if it wasn't for dysfunctional postal services, as normally I would most likely have had a good mesh for the radiator arrived by now. So we have to wait some more for that last bit.

With the rear floor section in place the interior was finished off and last the windscreen could be attached. I'm quite happy with this.

BB83.jpg

BB84.jpg

BB85.jpg

BB86.jpg

Fitting the front wheels, it's important to get a good alignment. I left the epoxy to cure like this for a few hours to get a solid bond, while I got out in the sun to take our two MX-5 Miata out of their winter sleep and on a quick wake up drive.

BB87.jpg

BB89.jpg

Back at the workbench all felt OK. I put the all important weight on the tyres, and now it sits quite nicely.

BB88.jpg

And with this I can only wait for some mesh to arrive. I'm beginning to give up on the letter from Renaissance in France by now, but we'll see, it's not any fault of Renaissance. The Eduard mesh from Hannants should really be here early in the coming week, and the mesh from Scale Link Fretcetera was sent yesterday, as far as I understand. There is still hope.

• Like 13

1 hour ago, Bengalensis said:

It would have been finished right now if it wasn't for dysfunctional postal services, as normally I would most likely have had a good mesh for the radiator arrived by now. So we have to wait some more for that last bit.

Yesh! the poshtal servish ish a total mesh!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Today the postal system finally woke up and managed to deliver not only one but two packages, that actually left England a week apart, and both some time ago. One contained the awaited Eduard hexagonal mesh frets. The French letter is still nowhere to be found.

A comparison against the radiator opening proves, once again, that model building is very much about the art of compromise. The finer mesh is better to scale but probably becomes too visible and blocking. Something to consider.

BB90.jpg

The mesh from Scale Link Fretcetera will - hopefully - arrive soon, so I will wait a bit more in the hope of comparing them before I start cutting and painting.

• Like 2

Voilà! The missing French letter from Rennaisance turned up today! At last. This is purely slow postal work. Again. No problem by Rennaisance, who are most reliable in my book. But here it is. It's even finer than the finest from Eduard, but with no less through visibility. Perhaps it's too fine? Good with more choice. Or I will just become indecisive when the last awaited frets arrive...

BB91.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bengalensis said:

but with no less through visibility.

With the honeycomb pressed pattern radiators, there wasn't any through visibility. Each lamella was pressed from thin copper into half 'combs, which were then clamped together and dipped in solder to seal the joints. Depth of the honeycomb pocket would likely be approx of diameter. A double layer on each radiator face will be about spot on

• Like 1

10 hours ago, harveyb258 said:

With the honeycomb pressed pattern radiators, there wasn't any through visibility. Each lamella was pressed from thin copper into half 'combs, which were then clamped together and dipped in solder to seal the joints. Depth of the honeycomb pocket would likely be approx of diameter. A double layer on each radiator face will be about spot on

Yes indeed, I know those radiators build, but the honeycomb pattern itself is very thin in real life, and to get a good scale effect this means we need to see more through the mesh we are using to build the model, if you see what I mean? As the thickness of the material in the mesh becomes way out of scale the finer it is, the more it appear as a wall instead of fine mesh.

• Like 3

Today the last awaited mesh sheets arrived in the mail, from Scale Link Fretcetera. So it's time reach some decision.

The finest they had is in stainless steel and very close to Rennaisance, to the right. It also becomes too blocking, too much of a wall, in this case I think.

BB92.jpg

The other sheet is in brass, and it's close to the finest from Eduard, to the right. But it is thinner, 0,12 mm compared to 0,15, and less blocking. Both are of course too coarse if one would count the holes, but it's not possible to work that way.

BB93.jpg

Oh the decisions... but I think I will try the latest arrived brass sheet first. The last real work can commence, at last.

• Like 4

That is looking absolutely stunning, you have really nailed it, the leatherwork in the cockpit is perfect and the finish on the body is impeccable, bravo !

love your MX 5's, actually as a baby designer I worked on the interior of the original one (like your red one), happy days ! (and coincidentally Bob Hall, the "father" of the Miata is now a work colleague).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dancona said:

That is looking absolutely stunning, you have really nailed it, the leatherwork in the cockpit is perfect and the finish on the body is impeccable, bravo !

love your MX 5's, actually as a baby designer I worked on the interior of the original one (like your red one), happy days ! (and coincidentally Bob Hall, the "father" of the Miata is now a work colleague).

Thanks a lot, you are very kind.

The MX 5's are just lovely in every way. I've had the '99 NB since new and the '90 NA we bought as a low milage untouched original car a few years ago. A colleague of Bob Hall, that's nice! Please pass my regards to Bob and thank him on my regards for his important contributions, that are still bringing so much joy to Miata fans.

Time to wrap this one up now.

With a hexagon mesh it's important to carefully check how to orient the part, or it may not look right from certain angles. With this fret it was a straight normal cut to the frame.

BB94.jpg

I thought I needed a darker colour for the mesh, but with some tone in it. I choose Alclad "Exhaust Manifold", seen here with the black backing.

BB95.jpg

And here is the finished result. I placed the backing on 0,5 mm thick distances behind the mesh. I think this is very much the look I was after. I'm satisfied. This issue can be put to rest.

BB96.jpg

Much fuzz for a mesh inside an opening on a model? Perhaps. But this was the way it had to be done to arrive at the finish. If I didn't have a good stock of various hexagon mesh before, I do now.

BB97.jpg

And with that I consider this one finished. I'll pull myself together and get a few more photos taken later.

BB98.jpg

• Like 11

Fantastic result Jörgen! Your quest for mesh certainly paid off. Isn't that what this hobby is about? Keep going until you're happy (or out of money 😉

• Thanks 1

Absolutely stunning result, great craftsmanship topped of by an outstanding paint job!

Your attention to detail is out of this world

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1