Tamiya 1/48 Mk1 Spitfire (legacy kit)

3 minutes ago, gryphon28 said:

I can certainly see from the comparison pic that the Tamiya aerial looks wrong.

depends on the radio fit.  At some point a change in radio type allowed the deletion of the aerial wire,  from TR9D to TR.1311 IIRC

As always, work from a reference photo if possible.

For early Spitfire finishing,  the Fundekals pdf is well worth a read

http://fundekals.com/spitfiresPart2.html

7 minutes ago, gryphon28 said:

How does the newer Mk1 kit compare to your research?

Not a kit I have as yet.   Given I have nearly every 1/48th Spitfire kit made, unmade, or in boxes having been abused in search of their faults and cures,   I really am in no rush to get more!   (unless it's really cheap :rolleyes:  )   

If you have images, a Work in Progress thread, especially for the decals, as these look like the much maligned tamiya ones, would be fascinating and helpful

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

Magnificent build. After seeing it I believe I'd be perfectly content with the legacy kit. I really like the instrument panel in the cockpit.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

depends on the radio fit.  At some point a change in radio type allowed the deletion of the aerial wire,  from TR9D to TR.1311 IIRC

As always, work from a reference photo if possible.

For early Spitfire finishing,  the Fundekals pdf is well worth a read

http://fundekals.com/spitfiresPart2.html

Not a kit I have as yet.   Given I have nearly every 1/48th Spitfire kit made, unmade, or in boxes having been abused in search of their faults and cures,   I really am in no rush to get more!   (unless it's really cheap :rolleyes:  )   

If you have images, a Work in Progress thread, especially for the decals, as these look like the much maligned tamiya ones, would be fascinating and helpful

cheers

T

Thanks for the info Troy, I’m keeping note of all the links.

Hopefully if Eduard bring out a Mk1 the Tammy Spit will come down in price. I can’t justify £30 for a small 1/48 kit either, no matter how good.

I don’t have an issue with their kit decals but I happened to have some spare Eduard Cartograph roundels that we’re just gorgeous, so I used those. The codes and serials are originals and I painted the walkways. I found that Tamiya decals are fine so long as you use the hottest water you can stand then they soften beautifully, just need to be careful though that you don’t melt the underlying paint! It’s a balancing act.

Sorry no WIP on this one but it’s something that I will be looking at for the future. 

Cheers.

• Like 1