Tamiya 1/48 Mk1 Spitfire (legacy kit)

As much as I look forward to building Tamiyas newer 1/48 Mk1 Spitfire, I would contend there’s not a heck of a lot wrong with the legacy kit. Here’s mine painted with a combination of Mr Hobby and Tamiya paints. Chipping courtesy of a really old Berol Silver pencil.

I used Uschi fine thread for the aerial wires and threaded the elevator wire through the fuselage courtesy of a cut down acupuncture needle with the thread superglued to it, to guide it through. 

The cloth machine gun port covers are Tamiya tape painted with Vallejo. The tyres were flatted and the exhausts drilled out. Eduards mask set EX052 made short work of the canopy.

I really enjoyed building this and would recommend it to anyone.

Rick

Spitfire mki

49709184816_5977d7fa90_b.jpg

Spitfire mki

Spitfire mki

Spitfire mki

Spitfire mki

Spitfire mki

Spitfire mki

Spitfire mki

Spitfire mki

• Like 33
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, fubar57 said:

Exactly how a Spitfire should look. Did you use the Uschi fine thread or the super-fine thread?

Had to go and check.

its the fine thread. Jeez I didn’t know you could go even finer!

cheers

• Thanks 1

I use the super-fine on 1:48 even though the website says its for 1:72, its seems to be more to scale. I might get some "Fine" as well now that I've seen yours

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fubar57 said:

I use the super-fine on 1:48 even though the website says its for 1:72, its seems to be more to scale. I might get some "Fine" as well now that I've seen yours

It’s funny because I was thinking of going up a size  myself. The fine really is......fine.

1 hour ago, Peter W said:

Beautiful build and, having just finished one, I agree that it's still a good kit to build.

Out of curiosity, what varnish did you use to finish it with?

Pete

Thanks Pete. I like Tamiya’s semi gloss clear just to reduce the shine of the x22 gloss clear from the decal stage. I like a semi sheen rather than dead flat as to me it looks more realistic. 

• Like 1

That is a really impressive paint finish on a very tidy build.  :goodjob: 

2 hours ago, gryphon28 said:

I would contend there’s not a heck of a lot wrong with the legacy kit.

While the KIT is a great example of legendary Tamiya engineering,  it is a kit with quite specific faults.

I spent some time pinning these down, and doing the fuselage fixes.  Pics are on blinkin' Photobucket though....

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/page/3/

In short, bit of an egg plane...but fixable with work.   (if it bugs you) 

But, really well finished and subtly weathered

for comparison

3052829500_1ce4f68d71_o.jpgSpitfire in England by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

49708627073_d4fca9be11_b.jpg

hope of interest

• Thanks 1

This is stunning! Do you mind me asking how you painted the camouflage? The lines are very sharp, did you use a mask or freehand?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

Superb build. Excellent paintwork and nicely subdued weathering. All to often we see Spitfires from this period that look like they're about to fall apart!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Bangor Lad, that’s how I feel too. There is no denying the skill involved in extreme weathering, it’s just further than I personally want to go.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

That is a really impressive paint finish on a very tidy build.  :goodjob: 

While the KIT is a great example of legendary Tamiya engineering,  it is a kit with quite specific faults.

I spent some time pinning these down, and doing the fuselage fixes.  Pics are on blinkin' Photobucket though....

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234968337-two-148-mkvb-spitfires-tamiya-and-airfix-new-spitfire-collection-expansion-project-finished-photos-now-in-the-rfi-section-080615/page/3/

In short, bit of an egg plane...but fixable with work.   (if it bugs you) 

But, really well finished and subtly weathered

for comparison

3052829500_1ce4f68d71_o.jpgSpitfire in England by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

49708627073_d4fca9be11_b.jpg

hope of interest

Thanks Troy,

I will have a good read tomorrow. I can certainly see from the comparison pic that the Tamiya aerial looks wrong. That said it would have been a pig to fix the aerial thread to without the horizontal spur they give you, so I’m going to forgive them that 😉

How does the newer Mk1 kit compare to your research?

24 minutes ago, Bangor Lad said:

All to often we see Spitfires from this period that look like they're about to fall apart!

just fashion, and not looking at the real thing.

4 minutes ago, gryphon28 said:

There is no denying the skill involved in extreme weathering, it’s just further than I personally want to go.

Skill indeed. but if you want to do that, do tanks.  About the only planes that do have the extreme weathering are USMC Corsairs on coral strips in the tropics...

Your has the apperance of a used but maintained aircraft, which is why I posted the comparison shot.

which is from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=spitfire&user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1

I post up the link to this all the time

@Etiennedup  great Flickr of period colour, which is essential viewing for getting a feel for how Spitfires really looked. 

cheers

T

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GRK said:

This is stunning! Do you mind me asking how you painted the camouflage? The lines are very sharp, did you use a mask or freehand?

1 minute ago, gryphon28 said:

Thanks Troy,

I will have a good read tomorrow. I can certainly see from the comparison pic that the Tamiya aerial looks wrong. That said it would have been a pig to fix the aerial thread to without the horizontal spur they give you, so I’m going to forgive them that 😉

How does the newer Mk1 kit compare to your research?

10 minutes ago, GRK said:

Thanks GRK. I used a gyro cutter tool to cut the pattern into the widest strips of masking tape I could get. I think the early Spits were painted using masking mats so a hard edge is acceptable. 

If only I could freehand that. I wish. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

just fashion, and not looking at the real thing.

Skill indeed. but if you want to do that, do tanks.  About the only planes that do have the extreme weathering are USMC Corsairs on coral strips in the tropics...

Your has the apperance of a used but maintained aircraft, which is why I posted the comparison shot.

which is from here

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=spitfire&user_id=8270787%40N07&view_all=1

I post up the link to this all the time

@Etiennedup  great Flickr of period colour, which is essential viewing for getting a feel for how Spitfires really looked. 

cheers

T

That’s really useful and worth saving. Cheers Troy 👍