Avro 684 High altitude Lancaster

Adrian Hills

As 'What ifs' are allowed I have commenced the build of my other 1/96 Frog Lancaster to convert it to the Avro 684 fitted with a Vickers pressure vessel on the nose in a similar way to the Mk V and VI Wellingtons.

49708778451_d2f190d17d_z.jpgbonson_the_avro_lincoln_prototype_type_684_by_kirovrampager-d5h6fsb by arhills, on Flickr

My model will look roughly like this.

49704470967_907866fd0e_z.jpgIMG_1361 by arhills, on Flickr

Many years ago I made a 1/72 Vickers pressure vessel on a lathe and vac-formed over it. I'm quite pleased with the results and think it might work for the 684.

49709102552_4fdf9ee650_z.jpgIMG_1757 by arhills, on Flickr

49708246663_c62450052c_z.jpgIMG_1758 by arhills, on Flickr

This is my good friend Geoff - here turning my spinners for my Deerhound engined Whitley

49709102017_c18e2d81cd_z.jpgIMG_0712 by arhills, on Flickr

Geoff has already made me a 1/72 former and will produce one in 1/96 from the billet seen here. He is very skilled. He is also vulnerable in the current situation so my bits of ally will be put through his letterbox after they and the packaging has been thoroughly sterilised !!

• Like 11

Ooh those spinners look great, never had the chance to do any real turning, its something I'd love to have a go at. The nearest I get to lathing is with the 3D modeller...not quite the same!!

Actually those shiny spinners reminded me of Maria, as ‘Maschinenmensch’, in Metropolis.

The model has modified nacelles and is just awaiting a small bit of work before painting. Definitely on the to do list 😊

Oooh, a high altitude Lanc.  Great choice!

I have been thinking of how to make one of those in 1 72 with B-29-like armament.

Regards

Martin

Agree, glad to see this WHIF taking part in this GB. It’s something completely different so best of luck getting this one done as well.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

A bit more work on the 684 today. The wings have their engines on and are puttied and finished. I have dropped the alloy plug to my friend Geoff who will commence work when it is a bit warmer. The tail has been Milliputed with FRESH stuff - well worth writing my old stuff off as it is so cheap and was delivered this morning (bought it from The Range). The tail piece is from an after market Lancastrian conversion in 1/72 that I used as a guide to expected shape.

49731430556_fc4a21fc40_z.jpgIMG_0774 by arhills, on Flickr

49730882118_560004ea40_z.jpgIMG_0782 by arhills, on Flickr

• Like 8

Thought about it, but Nah !

IMG_0843

Have refined the front of the moulding plug with Milliput. Filed it to shape. It seems the family excercise bike wroks as a wonderful jig to hold the plug while I stretch heated plastic over it !

IMG_0849

IMG_0846

IMG_0848

• Like 8

Had I just stumbled on this thread without knowing its background, I would be quite perplexed by what you were making in that last photograph. Other members (with somewhat dirty minds) might not be so sure!! 
Cheers.. Dave

• Haha 10

Had a bit of 'sort of' success with my 'pressure vessel nose'. After doing more pull moulding I finally got enough good shapes to cut and join. The first glue I used was from Hobbycraft and NOT superglue, it was crap. I used a new tube which I bought from a local shop and this bonded the clear bits to plasticard.

IMG_1019

I don't expect the sides to be perfect but hope to disguise the join with Milliput like I did on my Wellington twenty odd years ago.

IMG_1024

I took a saw to the fuselage and blended the shape to fit curvature

IMG_1021

The diameter looks about right -phew !

IMG_1025

The nose looks a little long. I'll sleep on it and tomorrow may shorten it a little.

• Like 8

Shortened pressure vessel section slightly. Grafted on a specially selected section of lower nose to get a better profile for the massive forward air intake. Nothing like a bit of al fresco modelling.

Now time for my daily exercise.

IMG_1027

IMG_1026

IMG_1028

• Like 6

Things are easy when they are fun to do. I find the most important thing is to have the attitude ‘that looks about right’. Lets face it, its not going to be perfect, but at least with my attitude I get things done. I find ‘rivet counters’ are too busy just doing that, and become scared to do anything.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Adrian Hills said:

I find ‘rivet counters’ are too busy just doing that, and become scared to do anything

Can I buy a T-shirt with that message on it! How true is that?? 
Cheers.. Dave

• Like 1