A BIG Countach !

Great! I think I'll have a cookie now 🙂

On the other hand, I'm in the sun, in the back yard, drinking Corona beers of all things... So maybe I'll just have another one...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JeroenS said:

Great! I think I'll have a cookie now 🙂

On the other hand, I'm in the sun, in the back yard, drinking Corona beers of all things... So maybe I'll just have another one...

HURRY UP BECAUSE THEY JUST CEASED PRODUCTION TODAY -HONEST! :frantic:

46 minutes ago, Codger said:

HURRY UP BECAUSE THEY JUST CEASED PRODUCTION TODAY -HONEST! :frantic:

Yes, I read about that yesterday. Not to worry: my wife brought some more from the store just now... They're on sale!

Which is taking advantage of a serious flaw in the way people's brains work 🙂 

• Haha 2

My bright idea...

As I have squawked before, from day one I never liked the Campagnolo wheels Bertone chose for the early cars. Called 'phone dial' or brava wheels, that would be these:

57.jpg

These wheels were embraced by nearly all kit manufacturers and I don't know whey. This kit came with and additional set of all chromed wheels from the very early cars which are basically narrow, flat discs with many small slots around the perimeter.

But as a running change in the series II cars and up, the OZ wheel was chosen and to my fevered teen-aged mind, the perfect one for the car:

58.jpg

Elegant, simple and above all, muscular, I had to have them. So around 1990, I thought I simply could grind down the raised holes and have my way. WRONG. There are differences in offset and backspace which would not emulate the OZ. Some may wish to avert their eyes:
59.jpg

Once again, I show my unsightly bits.

But then a flash of inspiration. Here on our very own web site I had seen the stunning work of a lad expert in the black art of 3D printing. Our own Caterhamnut, Angus Davidson, who's work can be found here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235062733-caterham-superlight-tamiya-112-custom-build/

So the bold thought arose 'could I avail myself of his skills and enter the modern era of model building'? A PM was duly sent and he responded promptly and positively. On the spot I commissioned him to fabricate my dream wheels.

Conversing by email a system was worked out; I would send him my current wheels from which he would fashion CAD drawings of the parts, then modify them on screen given the reference photos I sent him. All this graphic engineering requires artistic judgement too which he has in spades as he is no home hobbyist - he does this professionally.

Off went my wheels across the Atlantic. Shortly after, this arrived on my screen, the early drawings:

60.jpg

61.jpg

This caused huge excitement as well as disbelief at how detailed this all was.

Here are the outer rim sections which needed to mate to my inner rims - the wheels are very deep:

62.jpg

63.jpg

And presto! the early samples in magic blue resin which sent me reeling:

64.jpg

66.jpg

Angus had made adjustments to depth per my instructions and I was ecstatic. I had sent 2 tires for fitting and they were beyond my dreams. If they got lost in the mail, this project would not be here today. Now I had to wait until they arrived.

67.jpg

Meanwhile, I had to content myself with looking at my old mutilated wheels propped under the car to day dream:

68.jpg

The day arrived and finally on my desk, including several early unsuccessful bits at upper right:

69.jpg

But the 'finals' were perfect and never leaving again. You would never know that there were ~4,000 miles between us. I cannot say enough about his ability to comprehend what's needed and turn it into hard parts by magic.

A test look made the excitement grow:

70.jpg

Nearly poisoning my small family, I shot the OZ gold finish like a madman:

71.jpg

Here's an amazing bit; Angus drew and made 20 individual LUG NUTS which were a near press-fit into the holes printed into the wheels. I can barely see and hold one with a tweezer - quite a challenge and I considered leaving them out.  A toothpick tip of silver paint will make them right:
72.jpg

Fully assembled and holding the car up permanently, here's a sneak peek at where we're going. More details left to come then the final presentation. I view these wheels as the saving grace to all my corner-cutting. There is not another Countach model on Earth that I know of that has theses wheels. My vision of less detail, no wing and nothing to detract from the magnificent shape of the thing is getting complete. Who needs or cares about hose clamps and brake caliper paint?

I urge any of you to think 'big' and envision super-detailed parts, in any scale up to 1/8 at your disposal. I wish I knew of him when Rolls-building. Angus is a dream to work with and being a forum member here, very responsive to our needs and wishes. Considering the amazing results, his time is very reasonable. A PM is a good start to outstanding model details:

73.jpg

• Like 8

Pinning the details...

Literally. The side view mirrors have the same horrors as many of yours - teeny-tiny and no safe way to attach to the doors or body. Pinning is the answer but somewhat difficult.

Here I drilled a #55 hole into the skinny base - a risky deal for me. To help me, I always make a starter or pilot hole with a #11 tip. Not very deep, just to mark the spot (provided I've guessed right). Then the pinvise and praying I don't botch the angle or depth too badly:
74.jpg

I had tried .026 sewing pins heated but they never got hot enough. So I got out brass rod, .052 and decided no heat, just drilling. Then the challenge was to get two the same:

Possibly getting away with murder I added a drop of CA to secure:

75.jpg

Next off to the paint hovel and luck at 51F:

76.jpg

Only trimming the pin length remains and then drilling the painted doors in the perfect spot.

Am searching for my rosary beads before attempting that.

A word about the prototypes...

Ironically, like some Pocher classics, this Doyusha is a sort of compilation of Countach versions. It has features of a couple of early cars. But the Pochers have some designed-in compromises for manufacturing purposes as well.

Early on I fretted a lot about hide height assuming like most car models it would be too high. So when in assembly I went the bold way and snipped one coil from the 6 springs to lower. Months later when trial fitting the body, I was disappointed - not low enough. I should have cut 3:
80.jpg

The lower body edge should be below the wheel holes. Reference had taught me that Bertone actually made two versions called low body (early cars) and high body(slightly later). No bodywork was altered, only ride height raised for what is said was US crash regulations (a horrid thought!) and headlight height laws.

Here first is a low body then a high body:

77.jpg

78.jpg

Differences are dramatic:

79.jpg

Also obvious are the wheel opening shapes on the Doyusha/Otaki and even the 1/8 scale D'Agostini cars. My model has the early LP 400 f/r arches, the rear having an exaggerated, long opening to the front. The front arch is round as on the Walter Wolf versions. The above photos show how these were changed fairly soon into more trapezoidal shapes, and tighter around the rear wheels. Also my car has the LP400 periscope in the roof.

I'm not really complaining - I'm happy to have it as is. The stunning shape is the most pleasing aspect to me.

These appeal to me much more than any of the Diablo/Aventador/Huracan crowd. Having seen and loved Muiras and these in person, that proves what an old fashioned crock I am.....

:clown:

• Like 4

Thing I like most about your work is the presentation and narrative...although those wheels do their own talking.

Even now...I find it strange that you downplay your considerable skills and experience so very much...when it is apparent for all to see for themselves...that you put your heart and soul into...and including...your so called mistakes.

Much respect 

Ron

9 minutes ago, silver911 said:

Even now...I find it strange that you downplay your considerable skills and experience so very much...when it is apparent for all to see for themselves...that you put your heart and soul into...and including...your so called mistakes.

It is not a conscious effort to be coy my well-thought-out friend. I believe it is the result of disappointment from what's in my head to what happens to the plastic. Somewhere in there, there's a loose filament I think.

I also see staggering work right here every day, including your own, that make me say 'what's wrong with me'? I can appreciate it but not quite attain it.

Enough - much of my stuff is a soap opera these days and I'd rather just entertain and hopefully inform.

The respect goes back to you for the effort to appreciate me. :worthy:

C

• Like 2

The new wheels look fantastic. I much prefer those over the phone dial style. Mind you in your pic of the red Countach with the lower ride height, they don't look bad so maybe I'll just repaint mine. 

With regards to the ride height, the US did indeed have a minimum headlight height requirement. They also had a 5 mph bumper standard which meant US cars had a very ugly tall front bumper and little square bumpers on the rear. 

Carl

Where I stopped.......

Here's the last installment of this saga and involved drilling the door panels for the mirror attachments.

I start with a tiny pilot hole by #11 blade and drill with the pin's OD. I lay a bit of tape to mark the distance from the door edge so both sides are the same. Luckily, no disasters at this stage:

81.jpg

Success!

82.jpg

Thanks for riding along. :worthy: A small final gallery taken in outdoor light is now going into RFI.

• Like 6

Chas, it took some time to read through this thread. Very entertaining and again full of lessons. 
beautiful wheels. 

You again managed to create a very honest truthful model.

thanks for sharing.

Ehh, what is next?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Those wheels look GREAT Codger! Those are a work of art right there!

THOSE are the work of our friend here Caterhamnut and I take no credit for their brilliance.

Only for the brilliant idea to contact him for them. :smartass:

-and I love old movie crowds - thanks for the kindness. / C

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Codger said:

Ehhh- dunno and doubt there's any gas left in the tank.

But I will sure be 'glued' to your build..........:smartass:

Ah but that is what told us when you finished the Rolls. So we do not believe you.

I will plod on with my build knowing that it will not come near to stuff you showed us. But then again, I am only a beginner. so with over time I will improve…..

Very nice surprise to see you having returned to the workbench Chas; and with a surprising item - the Lamborghini Countach. Weren't we all a fan at any point in our lives... :) (and aren't we still...)

When standing next to a 1/1-model of this epic car it's almost surreal to realise how low it is. And how square certain design details are :) 

I guess vintage cars aren't the only subject of your petrolheadness. 

Some great looking wheels you have there!

• Thanks 1