Wingnut Wings Fokker Eindecker EIV

Hello, all -

This C virus crises is certainly freeing up much more model time so one plus side to all the doom and gloom at present I suppose ...........

Completed in three weeks and built entirely out of box.   Brush painted as always and used artist oils to try and simulate the extensive caster oil staining seen in period photographs along fuselage.   I have previously built a couple of years ago WNW's EII version of this kit was a complete joy to build and probably one of the easiest (once you figure out the cluttered  rigging diagram) kits to put together.   This particular version (representing the last and final version of the Eindecker series) is as easy apart from the cowling which is an overly tight fit over the double rotary engine - sadly because of this the engine cannot rotate with the propeller.   In addition, I found the fit in area poor (obviously I could have made an error here) requiring some large gaps between cowling and cockpit decking to be filled using small strips styrene sheet to hide these gaps.  I also managed to break the elevators on the single plastic tubing holding both together which is very weak point in the kit.   I repaired by drilling out the tubing and elevators and adding small metal pins which have now added much greater strength in this area,

Another than that, kit still goes together well.   Rigged using Uschi elastic thread.

Regards

Dave

pNF2NFl.jpg

DFNRWV3.jpg

McqogXO.jpg

kCDbXlQ.jpg

Zh6gv1w.jpg

Qhw5aPV.jpg

f0lxNv3.jpg

NQCX9Kb.jpg

VVXSJKT.jpg

bEmRjVp.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Buzby061 said:

Very nice indeed. The effect on the cowling is very convincing, how did you do that?

Pete

Morning all and thank you!

Pete - turned metal effect achieved using the method recommended by Wingnut Wings - basically, a base colour of aluminium followed by using a fine brush to paint squiggly lines of silver - natural light does the rest by picking out the differences in tone.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies Dave as I have only just found this.

My this is well up to your usual very high standard - the cowling and oil staining look super. I do not think that you have overdone the oil at all - those machines used to get filthy after every flight. Really looking forward to seeing this for real - when things are back towards being "normal".

P

• Thanks 1

Excellent, love the way your weathering suggests the frame structure, very convincing oil stains.

I built the EII/III last year but ended up with drooping wings, got any tips for how to avoid this? Yours look perfect.

Richie

• Thanks 1

How did I miss this? glad to have found it though. The cowling squiggly effect looks very good, as does the oil staining, another beauty Dave!

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RichieW said:

Excellent, love the way your weathering suggests the frame structure, very convincing oil stains.

I built the EII/III last year but ended up with drooping wings, got any tips for how to avoid this? Yours look perfect.

Richie

Hello, Richie -

Yes, I'm aware the WNW Eindecker series can suffer from wing droop.    Most modellers build and paint fuselage and wings as separate components before bringing together.   This is not wrong, but the kit joint just does not look to you job of fully supporting wing unless fully braced using mono thread such as fishing line.

I approached things differently here - being a brush painter, I could easily get away with assembling wings direct to fuselage prior to painting.   Doing it this way means being able to use glue along the whole the wing where it meets fuselage.   Whilst the glue was curing, I propped the wings with a very slight upward angle (dihedral) which over time, the weight of the wings pulling down has only been slight resulting in a dead level line up.

I hope that makes sense?

Regards

Dave

• Like 2

Thanks Dave that makes so much sense, I painted the wings and fuse before assembly and ended up with a very comical looking wing sag. I have the EIV in the stash and will try your method. Have been pondering this for a long time. Thanks for supplying the answer!

Cheers 

Richie

• Like 1