Lufthansa New Livery Airbus A380-800, Revell 1:144

neilg

I've fitted the MLG doors and modified the body gear doors so they are closed:

IMG_0043

This is an area where there are many gaps that need filling and sanding, and filling and sanding, and filling and sanding...

• Like 4

Fuselage primed and tail section painted.

I'm going to mask off the tail then paint the rest of the fuselage white.

If there is any bleeding under the masking tape, then it will be easier to touch up the tail with the blue than it will be with white.

IMG_0055

• Like 5

5 hours ago, neilg said:

I've fitted the MLG doors and modified the body gear doors so they are closed:

This is an area where there are many gaps that need filling and sanding, and filling and sanding, and filling and sanding...

This seems to be the case with most Revell airliners that have the under fuselage panel to fit, I am always filling after fitting them, the A330 and B747 kits are the same.

You are flying along with this build Neil, nice progress

• Like 1

On 31/03/2020 at 10:45, neilg said:

It also has the incorrect number of brakes on the body gear.  It has six brakes - one for each wheel on the body gear.  The rear wheels on the A380 body gear do not have brakes

Well spotted. The BLG does have the capability to have brakes units installed on the aft axles, but no airline has selected this option. The BLG is built with the brackets and hose clamps for the extra brakes and often result in people asking if there is something missing when they see the empty hose clamp. 

• Like 1

Well there is not as much tidying up to do as I had expected - I'm quite pleased with how the tail is looking!

I was pretty nervous removing the masking...

IMG_0083

IMG_0084

I'm going to leave it overnight to cure a bit - I only finished spraying the fuselage today.

• Like 10

10 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Looks great!

Which paints are you using?

I used Halford's gloss appliance white, and Humbrol midnight blue.

Halford's is a chain of automotive accessories stores in the UK, and I find their range of paints to be great.  Their racking grey for example, is a good match for the grey airliner wings, and I used their Ford dove grey for the nose cone of my Eurofighters.  I used to top up on my supplies each time I visited home when I was living in France so I could carry on modelling, but I never found any similar products when I was living there.

I know the midnight blue is not the correct shade for Lufthansa, but so far it looks like a close match.

Tamiya dark blue starts out blue, but by the time you have even coverage, I would say that it's black - but it goes well on ships like the Queen Elizabeth 2 and Queen Mary 2:

IMG_2861

IMG_2904

IMG_3148

I have seen some photos of the new Lufthansa livery where the blue looks almost black, but I thought the Tamiya paint would have been too dark and would have clashed with the wordmark, so I stuck with the Humbrol midnight blue.

I have also read that Lufthansa were going to change the shade of blue to make it lighter.

This article is two years old, and I'm not sure if other aircraft were repainted since, but the test scheme looks even more purple (or indigo?) than the blue that I have used.

https://www.flightglobal.com/airframers/pictures-lufthansa-tests-brighter-version-of-new-livery-on-747/128089.article

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Niiiiiiiice!!! Your cruise liner is looking great!!!

Hmmmm....never noticed that the fleet might or got a new lighter blue. Have to take a look.

But you're right the blue tends to look black from some angles.

Thanks for the info!!

Here's a bit of port-side detailing:

IMG_0152

And here's MB next to MA that I built years ago, and who was damaged in my move back to the UK.  MA is looking very sad:

IMG_0154

2 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Being a double decker plane, I always thought BA would paint one as a Routemaster.  Are these aftermarket decals?

No, these decals are supplied with the kit.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, neilg said:

Window decals going on during my lunch break:

IMG_0149

Looking good!

Your Appliance White dried quick!  I’m sure it took a lot longer to cure on my A319, although I probably put too many layers on or too thick.

Edited by BluesModeller

16 minutes ago, BluesModeller said:

Your Appliance White dried quick!  

I did try this time to do many light layers, because I've oversprayed before on builds that I chose not to show on here!

Because I've been able to work from home, I've been applying a light coat every hour or so, so I finished the gloss white on Saturday - it's been curing since, and has a nice solid feel now.

It's been years since I did the older A380, and I can't remember which paint I used for it - but it's definitely yellowed.

I don't think I have any old builds with the Halford's appliance white, but I'm hoping that it doesn't yellow.

I suspect it will be the varnish that will yellow over time.

Edited by neilg
  • Like 1

Fine and fast work so far, looking very neat. 

On 4/5/2020 at 8:59 PM, neilg said:

The engines next to the Airfix 737:

IMG_0118

This reminds me of moving from the 737 to the 777: being told the GE engines were the same diameter as the 737's fuselage, the stabiliser span was almost the 737 wing span, and the engine power at 35% N1 was the equivalent of the 73 at max thrust. 

I never fact checked any of that but the engine story would appear to be correct! 

Hope you get both your A380s up to the same standard eventually 👍

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Do the wings fit good enough to not glue them on? Just thinking for storage or transporting the models.

They fit without falling off, but they droop.

With the engines fitted, they would probably droop even more, so they would not be at the correct angle if you didn't glue them on.

The horizontal stabilizers are loose, and they fall out easily.  The location tabs are very thin, narrow, and short.  They both snapped off MA during the move - I'm not sure how to reattach them now.

If you want to see carnage, this is what I found in the model boxes after my move - after the packing people told me they knew what they were doing:

IMG_0157

The two horizontal stabilizers are from MA, as is one of the engines...

Looking at it is almost too much to bear!

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Quite the mess. Are you good at drilling small holes and pinning the parts on? I'm just asking a bunch of questions because I have a A380 waiting to be built.

I've never tried doing that, but I think you'd have to use fairly thick dowels, going all the way through the fuselage.

You'd probably need to remove the locating tab too (they are quite a tight fit), to prevent damaging the dowels each time you remove and install the wings.

I'm still not sure if that would prevent the wings from drooping.  They're quite heavy parts, 160 g according to my scales, and with a very large moment.

I've got a five-day weekend, so today I cracked on with the no-walk markings on the wings:

IMG_0166

IMG_0167

IMG_0168

The wings and horizontal stabilizers are still not attached yet.

The horizontal stabilizers have had a gloss coat, but need a polish - already looking nice and shiny, reflecting the tail logo well.

The engines are currently being filled and sanded, but might not get finished today since it's beautiful out and I want to sit in the sun!

• Like 7

Thats looking great neil  ,did you  gloss it with spray cans ? ,spurs me on to finish mine , I'm currently decaling the windows of an A380-800 in the old british airways  landor scheme,like you still the engines to do though