Lufthansa New Livery Airbus A380-800, Revell 1:144

neilg

IMG_9973

Here is a WIP thread for Revell's A380-800 in the new Lufthansa livery.

https://www.underconsideration.com/brandnew/archives/new_logo_identity_and_livery_for_lufthansa_done_in_house.php

I had a read of this article which explains the differences between the old and the new livery.

I am definitely on the side that likes the way the new scheme looks - but I am aware I am probably in the minority1

I have Revell's 747-8i in the new livery to build after this one.

It is a very large kit, which I have built before in the Airbus house livery.

IMG_9974

There is no interior detail to speak of really, just a basic flight deck - no decals for the instruments, no controls moulded or otherwise:

IMG_9985

There are no transparent parts for cabin windows, but there are window frame decals that you can fit over the open holes, or you can fill the windows as I have done, and use the black window decals.

IMG_9984

I will remove the masking tape tomorrow and touch up on the filled windows.

That's all for now!

Edited by neilg
  • Like 10

8 hours ago, BluesModeller said:

Nice start!

I have this kit (In B.A. livery) and the 747-8i in Lufthansa livery waiting in the stash. Looking forward to seeing your build progress!

6 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Nice start Neil, I will be following. :popcorn:

I have a couple of these to do as QANTAS and BA aircraft. Then there is number 3 which I am unsure of the scheme at this stage

I have the BA one too, but I want to experiment with Halford's Fiat Capri Blue, which I've been told is a close colour match to the BA blue.

I'm planning to do the BA A319 first to see how I get on with the blue before I commit to applying it to something as big as the A380.

The wing halves of this A380 are pretty warped:

IMG_9986

I'm not sure which way around they'll pull when cemented together, or if the warped halves will even each other out.

There is a clear part for the landing lights in the wing root, which is completely the incorrect shape:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ILA_2008_Airbus_A380_body.jpg

There is a decal for the landing lights, which correct this, but it requires the landing light hole to be filled first.

That's this morning's job.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

With the warp I'd be gluing the wing together and then taping it down to a flat surface, with the straighter half facing down. Then leave the glue to set.

Revell has moulded the complex shape of the A380 wing, which means I can't really tape it to a flat surface.

This picture shows the beautiful curves:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/24763/why-was-the-a380-built-with-a-gull-wing-design/60274

• Like 1

9 hours ago, neilg said:

Revell has moulded the complex shape of the A380 wing, which means I can't really tape it to a flat surface.

This picture shows the beautiful curves:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/24763/why-was-the-a380-built-with-a-gull-wing-design/60274

Fair enough, good luck with the wing straightening

Perhaps you could try just the out length to the tip that seems to have the most warping?

• Like 1

Some light work during my lunch break while working from home:

IMG_0017

The wings are assembled and primed with Halford's grey primer, and dry fitted to the fuselage.

I've primed and painted the horizontal stabilizers with Halford's grey primer and Halford's gloss appliance white.

As I remarked, there is no detail in the flight deck, but you will not be able to see anything anyway with the glazing in place:

IMG_0018

You can also see I still have to touch up the filled-in cabin windows, and fill in the seams of the two fuselage halves - this is the part of modeling that I do not enjoy!!

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

Will this be a gear up or down build Neil?

The wings look pretty straight form here. :thumbsup:

It will be a gear-down build, but I'll need to do some adjustments on it.

The instructions show to fit the body gear doors open when the landing gear is extended.  These doors should be closed, with small panels to open to accommodate the landing gear strut.

I thought they would have fixed this in the instructions by now, considering this kit is quite old.  The copyright stamp on the mould says 2002.

It also has the incorrect number of brakes on the body gear.  It has six brakes - one for each wheel on the body gear.  The rear wheels on the A380 body gear do not have brakes.

The wings are just pushed in for the moment - I will be able to adjust them a bit when I cement them in place and make sure they are even.

• Like 2

Looking good so far!!

You can't imagine how big those wings and even the stabilizers are. You really recognize it when you stand beneath them.

I don't like profile of the A380, but it's always impressive when one is in the hangar.

Alex 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, coneheadff said:

Looking good so far!!

You can't imagine how big those wings and even the stabilizers are. You really recognize it when you stand beneath them.

I don't like profile of the A380, but it's always impressive when one is in the hangar.

Alex 

It is difficult to find an angle where it looks good (from the front, it looks like an egg, from the side it looks like a fat sausage...)

I have seen some renders of the proposed A380-900, and with the longer fuselage, it looks more elegant.

I flew on D-AIMC from Houston to Frankfurt, my first and only A380 flight, and I was amazed by its silence, especially during the take-off roll.

Unfortunately, MC is not an option for this kit.

The supplied registrations are MA (Frankfurt am Main), MB (München), MD (Tokio), MG (WIen), and MK (Düsseldorf).

• Like 1

I've never flew in a 380, but that's exactly what my colleagues say. It's really quite during the flight and it feels like you're on a train.

The -900 might have been very impressive, but that's not gonna happen anymore.

I would take the MB...but as I'm stationed in MUC I might be a bit biased 😁

Alex

2 hours ago, neilg said:

It is difficult to find an angle where it looks good (from the front, it looks like an egg, from the side it looks like a fat sausage...)

I have seen some renders of the proposed A380-900, and with the longer fuselage, it looks more elegant.

I flew on D-AIMC from Houston to Frankfurt, my first and only A380 flight, and I was amazed by its silence, especially during the take-off roll.

Unfortunately, MC is not an option for this kit.

The supplied registrations are MA (Frankfurt am Main), MB (München), MD (Tokio), MG (WIen), and MK (Düsseldorf).

I live under the heathrow east departure route, and find the a380 looks gorgeous as it climbs above, also you can do D-AIMC if you cut the G.

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

I live under the heathrow east departure route, and find the a380 looks gorgeous as it climbs above

I know exactly what you mean.

2014 I was in LHR at 787 training with BA and we were staying at a hotel in Hounslow...loved the Indian food there 😁...and I was so impressed with the east departures of the A380.

Tried to upload a pic, but I just can't do if from my phone. 

Edited by coneheadff
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, coneheadff said:

I know exactly what you mean.

2014 I was in LHR at 787 training with BA and we were staying at a hotel in Hounslow...loved the Indian food there 😁...and I was so impressed with the east departures of the A380.

Tried to upload a pic, but I just can't do if from my phone. 

Though the 787 makes the 380 up closer look like the ugly duckling, just the fact that they are usually around 9-12000ft here and the 380s vast size, though still think the 747s make the best noise

• Like 1