Huron Tribal Class - 1/700

Ted

While I wait through the paint and decal process for my Sopwith Camel, I figured I'd add an actual navy ship to the mix. I built one other 1/700 ship in the past and this is the only unbuilt ship kit in my collection. The only things I know about the Huron is what I read on Wikipedia a few minutes ago, impressive service history.

IMG_7738

IMG_7739

IMG_7740

As the kit comes with as much photo etch as I can stomach, I don't need the extra pack of railings that were included when I picked this up at a swap and shop. If anyone can use the pack of 1/700 railings pictured below let me know via PM and I can pop them in the mail to you.

IMG_7741

• Like 6

Hi Ted,

This should be good. With 8 x4.7" guns (initially) instead of the usual 5, the Tribals were the largest RN destroyers in WWII (some would say too large) and were built as a response to the Japanese Fubuki class according to Conway's All the World's Fighting Ships. 27 were built, the RN batch of 16 being launched in 1937, with others for Canada and Australia following up to as late as 1946. Of the RN builds, 11 were sunk and another lost to collision, all before the end of 1942 so they were in the thick of the action in the Atlantic, Med, at Narvik and on the Murmansk run. Not sure about the RCN ships like Huron.

I shall watch this with interest - good luck.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

If it helps, Trumpeter's company policy is to be as wrong as could be conceived with every British and Commonwealth naval vessel camouflage.

Whilst the Canadians did retain the old paints much longer than they were supposed to, this is what the scheme officially was supposed to look like from May '43 onwards:

c51df8a1-91a5-465b-bae8-ce668f0a84eb.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/28/2020 at 3:03 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

If it helps, Trumpeter's company policy is to be as wrong as could be conceived with every British and Commonwealth naval vessel camouflage.

Whilst the Canadians did retain the old paints much longer than they were supposed to, this is what the scheme officially was supposed to look like from May '43 onwards:

Much appreciated Jamie. I'll use that as a guide.

The above is an extract from a Royal Navy Confidential Book we have a facsimile available for and it has a colour key before the profiles.

From darkest to lightest:

G20 was a medium/dark greenish grey

B30 was a medium tone blue-grey

G45 was a light grey with a bluish caste (the blue pigment was ultramarine)

White is white

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1