Hello from locked down Manchester

dharma66

Hi, I’m Phil, I’m in my fifties, and have been model making on-and-off since I was very small, as a typical Airfix child.

My ambitions far outweigh my skills.

At the moment I have a stash that includes a few WWI aircraft from Wingnuts, a Revel Apollo Saturn V, a Voyager spacecraft and other bits and pieces of aviation and real space.

I have a Monogram LEM that has been on the “bench” for over ten years (the bench actually vanished nearly 10 years ago).

But my pride and joy - and the thing that is also farthest beyond my current skills - is an Accurate Models 1/20 Rocketdyne F1 motor.

Every year or so, I take it all out of the box, look at it, read the instructions through a dozen or so times, then put it away again in a state of mild panic.

One day... one day...

• Like 3

Hello and welcome from a fellow mancunian.

Just looked up the rocketdyne kit and it looks brilliant.
i understand the reluctance to build such a kit. 
thats why i have never bought some of the pricey model factory hiro car kits. I just couldnt do them justice. Maybe one day i’ll have the confidence to build one.

i have been listening to “13 minutes to the moon” on the bbc sounds app. Makes me want to build an apollo kit of some form.

mark

• Like 1

Hello Phil...:post1: from across the pond in Chicago. Mostly aviation here with the occasional armor or sci-fi build to break it up. Ive thought about visiting Manchester someday as I'm a Fan of Man U though as an American don't get to see a lot of matches here. 

Dennis

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Phil...:post1: from across the pond in Chicago. Mostly aviation here with the occasional armor or sci-fi build to break it up. Ive thought about visiting Manchester someday as I'm a Fan of Man U though as an American don't get to see a lot of matches here. 

Dennis

Man U fans from anywhere on the globe are always more than welcome!

Well, when I say “always”... maybe give it a few months!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I've thought about visiting Manchester someday as I'm a Fan of Man U though as an American don't get to see a lot of matches here. 

As my cousins (Rabid Man City fans) from that fair city say 'Puts you in the 99.5% of United fans* then' :D

There is a great museum there Museum of Industry, Science and Technology. Drop the female(s) and their credit cards for shopping and spend the day there :D Time it right and you could do Scale model World at Telford at the same time. Just a thought.

Welcome to BM Phil, you have an interesting set of projects there, every so often Aldi and the like knock out cheap Airfix starter sets. A good source of practice materials. Keep an eye on the bargain section for the next round of issues.

* the real word is too rude for sensitive ears or websites ;)

Cheers

Nick

• Like 2

:welcome: aboard Phil :)

On 28/03/2020 at 14:23, dharma66 said:

My ambitions far outweigh my skills.

You're not alone - I think almost every modeller thinks that way, self included :lol:

• Like 2

Hello Phil & glad to see you popping your head over the parapet.  I'm also a Mancunian - now resident in those hills past the edge of town - you know the ones - when it snows - that's where it sticks!!!

Glorious Saddleworth.

I hope you have fun here & it would be nice to see some of the stuff you have either on the bench or completed.

Best regards - Steve

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BIG X said:

Hello Phil & glad to see you popping your head over the parapet.  I'm also a Mancunian - now resident in those hills past the edge of town - you know the ones - when it snows - that's where it sticks!!!

Glorious Saddleworth.

I hope you have fun here & it would be nice to see some of the stuff you have either on the bench or completed.

Best regards - Steve

Hmm... I don’t really have anything to show :( 

I think I have an old Spitfire in the garage, but it’s now under a pile of stuff. I have the LEM, but it was really early stage of the build when I stopped.

Those two items are 15 and 10 years old respectively, and anything I had older than that has been discarded decades ago...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dharma66 said:

Hmm... I don’t really have anything to show :( 

I think I have an old Spitfire in the garage, but it’s now under a pile of stuff. I have the LEM, but it was really early stage of the build when I stopped.

Those two items are 15 and 10 years old respectively, and anything I had older than that has been discarded decades ago...

Time to get building then ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BIG X said:

Glorious Saddleworth.

I've said it once and there's no doubt that I'll say it again Steve. That's dangerously close to Yorkshire. :winkgrin:

Welcome Phil. They are a friendly bunch on here and you will pick up lot's of tips to help improve your skills.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1