painting 109

alecras234

Hi i am painting a 1 48 scale Messerschmitt 109 E-4, but im having problems with paint numbers.  I have Revell acrylic and the numbers i have are,  49 light blue, 75 stone grey, 77 tank grey, 78 dust grey.   Which of the light colours do i put down first?   I have painted the fuselage and underside with 49 light blue but i can't get the greens and browns right.

8 minutes ago, alecras234 said:

Hi i am painting a 1 48 scale Messerschmitt 109 E-4

What scheme would help?

the only Revell 1/48 is the Hase rebox

this one?

146696-11494-pristine.jpg

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04572-bf-109-e-4-7-trop--146696

The actual colours are RLM 78 blue underside, uppers in RLM 79 sand brown with RLM 80 green mottle.   Are there not specified Revell colours in the instructions? 

13 minutes ago, alecras234 said:

75 stone grey, 77 tank grey, 78 dust grey. 

these sounds like the Revell version for a the Helmut Wick european scheme. 

the kit according to Scalemates has 3 schemes

Markings

Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-4

Wehrmacht Luftwaffe (German Air Force 1935-1945)

1./JG 2 << (Helmut Wick) | World War 2»Battle of Britain - Beaumont-le-Roger  October 1940

3./NJG 1 G9+JV | 1941 | Overall black night fighter scheme

Messerschmitt Bf 109 E-7 (Trop)

Wehrmacht Luftwaffe (German Air Force 1935-1945)

3./JG 27 13 (Hans-Joachim Marseille) | Libya  April 1941

So, what scheme are you doing? 

That is the BoB scheme of RLM 65 blue, with uppers in RLM02 Grey and RLM 71 Dark Green, here's the revell chart, see matches below

71lH2dwhB9L._SL1132_.jpg

RLM 02 Grey is matched by 45 Light Olive. This is really good match.

Revell list 39 Dark Green for RLM 71. I don't have the paint to comment.

HTH

6 minutes ago, alecras234 said:

I've got 45 Light olive, 39 Dark green and 49 light blue, are they they three paints that i need?

yes.

49 light blue is quoted by Revell as being both RLM65 and RLM 76.  Don't know which it is,  (RLM 76 is lighter and greyer than 65) but Revell 49 not a colour I have, and but unless you want to get into mixing paint and a lot of faffing about, which I suspect you don't want to,   then  you are good to go.

3 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

Post-1956 American FS595 numbers and lack of who's Luftwaffe chips are being compared to gives me the shudders here I'm afraid.

Thanks for the info guys.    I have painted the tops of the wings in light olive but the panel lines are faint.   Do i need to worry about them being faint?   i'm going to give them a wash later to bring out the panel lines, but right now the look faint.

Ash

Panel lines and how 'strong' they look are very much a matter of taste. If you search these forums you will find lots of discussion. Personally I wouldn't worry about them at this stage. Perhaps you could post a few pictures and people can assist?

Hi,

generally speaking, the Revell-colour range doesn´t represent the RLM-colours very good. There are much better paints avilable for these aircraft.

At that time when von Werra was downed and taken prisoner his aircraft most probably was painted RLM 02/71/65:

Here adiuscussion in our German forum "Modellboard":

https://www.modellboard.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=dc7989efefb9f51ad366d3354bbc3fc1&topic=41361.15

The question even is if the cowling was white or blue with our assumption is it was a new part painted in RLM 65. .

Just look at the colour ranges for

RLM 71 (Revell 36139 is ok)

RLM 02 (no match in the Revell-range but 45 comes somewhat close)

RLM 65 (Revell 49 but add a little white)

Propeller should be "Schwarzgrün" RLM 70 - here you can use 69 which is quite good for the colour

As I wrote previously, there are much better colours but if you don´t get these you can mix the appropriate colours from the Revell-range too.

Best regards

Michael

At the end, all we do is interpretation of colours according to the the given paint-orders of the respective airforces, here the Luftwaffe...

Best regards

Michael