I am the - Steam Pigeon? Goo goo g'joob

Dunny

Hi all,

Given the strange times we all live in, I thought I'd go for an unusual build, and push myself a little again. Who can ignore an aircraft nicknamed 'Steam Pigeon', or even better 'Shagbat' 🤣

Here's the beautiful box art:

20200328-094901.jpg

And the obligatory sprue shots:

20200328-094934.jpg

20200328-095326.jpg

I could only lay my hands on the 'Silver Wings' boxing, whereas I had a hankering to build an RAAF type. I therefore laid my hands on a few extras, as shown below. This will lead me to a couple of major firsts in my modelling journey:

Sprayed markings, and rigging a biplane.

:worms:

20200328-095042.jpg

The plan is to build an aircraft of No. 5 Communication Flight RAAF, based in New Guinea in 1943. Photos of aircraft are relatively sparse, but this is the scheme as presented by Auntie:

20200328-095129.jpg

What could possibly go wrong?! With a degree of trepidation, I bravely started on the easy stuff, removing the multiple ejector pin marks from the fuselage interiors. This is mid way through the process - it did look better in the end :angel:

20200328-095253.jpg

I then used multiple drill bits opening up the rigging holes :banghead:

20200328-095216.jpg

Today I then cracked on with the interior. I also learned a valuable lesson along the way that water-based paints actually thin very well with.... water! I've persisted with using Tamiya thinners for airbrushing, but delayed deliveries due to COVID have forced me to consider alternatives, and the interior green with which I've always struggled settled down beautifully when thinned with good ol' H2O. Here's where I ended up after a good day's self-isolation:

20200328-171446.jpg

20200328-171454.jpg

20200328-171501.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 23

I bought this kit in March 2019 while I was in Las Vegas (my old stomping grounds for 22 years) I don't think I want to do mine as a silver bird either but I will certainly follow this build.

Your interior looks awesome too by the way. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Todders said:

I bought this kit in March 2019 while I was in Las Vegas (my old stomping grounds for 22 years) I don't think I want to do mine as a silver bird either but I will certainly follow this build.

Your interior looks awesome too by the way. 

Thanks for the kind words!

30 minutes ago, woody37 said:

It’s almost a shame to close this up! Lovely progress :)

Why thank you sir!

Hi All,

A quick progress update on progress. I added the harnesses as supplied by Eduard, and as you may see they are of a rather unique design. They are far from the usual Sutton harness, and more akin to bondage gear (from what I am told - ahem). 

Moving swiftly on I then added the anchor rope and sea anchor and added the final gubbins prior to buttoning up.

20200329-110752.jpg

Here's a shot of the Eduard IP - I have had some success with IP decals lately, and I'm increasingly debating the worth of PE IPs - any thoughts? I also quite enjoy the process of decalling the IP then picking out the instruments with gloss :banghead:

20200329-121041.jpg

Here's a couple of shots before finally closing up:

20200329-124200.jpg

20200329-124214.jpg

Finally buttoned up, with tail feathers added:

20200329-142734.jpg

I'm currently debating how best to proceed next, as I haven't finally decided how to rig the beast. There are a couple of schools of thought, so I might do some more research before I commit. My current thought is to paint sub-assemblies like the engine, and then assemble and rig. Any advice gratefully received from those with more experience in this process.

In the meantime, thanks for looking and stay safe,

Roger

• Like 10

She's looking really good Roger, nice work!

I'd say your plan for rigging is pretty sound. I wouldn't try to rig the assembly before it's all mounted though, you stand to pull the legs out of alignment and then it won't fit the locating holes! It's a little tricky rigging with everything assembled, but just make sure you start with the "inside" bits - those which would be impossible to get to with other rigging lines around them.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

She's looking really good Roger, nice work!

I'd say your plan for rigging is pretty sound. I wouldn't try to rig the assembly before it's all mounted though, you stand to pull the legs out of alignment and then it won't fit the locating holes! It's a little tricky rigging with everything assembled, but just make sure you start with the "inside" bits - those which would be impossible to get to with other rigging lines around them.

Ian

Thanks for the kind words Ian - that's the way I was heading...

Hi all,

Some progress today. I've decided on how to approach the rigging - I'm going to leave the wings as separate halves and make up the 'inner' wing assembly, rig it and then join the 'outer' halves on completion. In order to do this I'm going to finish paint sub-assemblies. Here they are pre-shaded:

20200404-135709.jpg

I then painted the underside colour. Although I used Humbrol 65 as recommended by Auntie it was too deep a blue to my eye, so I lightened it with some white. As the paintwork would have taken quite a hammering in the tropical sun and seawater, I added further white for a bleaching effect. Here's the finished underside colour:

20200404-145455.jpg

I then masked off the underside colours, and applied DSG and EDSG - the latter was freehanded, and both had light coats applied gradually. Here's the result upon removal of the masks:

20200404-172246.jpg

20200404-172258.jpg

Finally, I couldn't resist adding the undercarriage. Here's the result at the end of play today:

20200404-173502.jpg

20200404-180344.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the outcome so far. Tomorrow's job is to spray the markings and start the rigging process 😬 - wish me luck!

Thanks for looking and stay safe,

Roger

• Like 6

A quick progress update. Today I've been having my first go at airbrushed markings using Montex masks. First up the black:

20200405-110954.jpg

These look better than decals already. Next MSG for the squadron codes (and before you ask, yes the covering of the aircraft number was deliberate!):

20200405-113236.jpg

And finally white and blue for the national markings:

20200405-115737.jpg

20200405-121842.jpg

There were a couple of areas of overspray (easily corrected)and minor touch-ups, then on to gloss coat, Flory wash and Tamiya Flat Coat:

20200405-133356.jpg

20200405-145620.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the way the colour variation has popped out following flat coating. So here's one final shot:

20200405-145526.jpg

I'm not displeased with the overall effect. I think the MSG might be a bit dark for the squadron codes, but I'm not changing it now!!

Next job - Fr*gging in the Rigging (or more likely, Fr*gging up the Rigging)

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 9

Lovely work. I built a SMER earlier this year, I found the rigging wasn’t too tricky as for the most part there is plenty of space to manoeuvre.

Also (you probably already know this) the engine nacelle was intentionally offset by ten degrees to counter the torque of the engine, which is visibly skewed. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Lovely work. I built a SMER earlier this year, I found the rigging wasn’t too tricky as for the most part there is plenty of space to manoeuvre.

Also (you probably already know this) the engine nacelle was intentionally offset by ten degrees to counter the torque of the engine, which is visibly skewed. 

Thanks @Marklo - I'm enjoying the extra complexity of my first biplane, but dreading the rigging 😬. Can highly recommend the Airfix kit if you ever fancy another...

2 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Can highly recommend the Airfix kit if you ever fancy another...

I did mine in silver and I’d definitely like one in camo. I had my eye on it for ages but got the smer off eBay because it was so cheap. That said the Airfix one will probably be a present to selfs sooner or later :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks great. I like the faded colours too.

Now, if only Airfix would re-do the 1/72 Walrus with the same level of interior detail...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks for the kind words @AdrianMF - do we need to start a 1:72 groundswell? You heard it here first 😉

• Like 1

Hello Dunny !

So, you're taming a shagbat too ??

I'll restart and finish mine as soon as I finish the :bangin: Skyknight !!

Great job, I like the way you painted and weathered the Walrus !

What about the tailplane on your ?

When I look at mine it seem that the horizntal part is a bit curved down...

May be my old Mk1,5 eyeballs, but my friend Pierre has the same problem...

I will paint her as a Ozzy Walrus !!

Congrats my friend, another thumb up on this one !!👍

Hey ! Wait !! No bottle of Rum and half eaten sandwich on the observer desk ???

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Dunny !

So, you're taming a shagbat too ??

I'll restart and finish mine as soon as I finish the :bangin: Skyknight !!

Great job, I like the way you painted and weathered the Walrus !

What about the tailplane on your ?

When I look at mine it seem that the horizntal part is a bit curved down...

May be my old Mk1,5 eyeballs, but my friend Pierre has the same problem...

I will paint her as a Ozzy Walrus !!

Congrats my friend, another thumb up on this one !!👍

Hey ! Wait !! No bottle of Rum and half eaten sandwich on the observer desk ???

Sincerely.

CC

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes you are correct - there is a bit of 'droop' on the tailplane, which makes fitting the struts a little tricky (ask me how I know?!) Maybe a little light pressure before I re-fit the struts! As an aside I lived in Liege when I was (much) younger - not far from you I guess?

Best regards,

Roger

10 hours ago, Dunny said:

Hi Alain,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes you are correct - there is a bit of 'droop' on the tailplane, which makes fitting the struts a little tricky (ask me how I know?!) Maybe a little light pressure before I re-fit the struts! As an aside I lived in Liege when I was (much) younger - not far from you I guess?

Best regards,

Roger

Liége !! Waow 70 Kms apart, So you know the "Boulet sance lapin ?? " 

I really enjoy Liége and I got many friends up there.

My Friend friend Pierre @BS103 is living in Waimes è Kms from Elsenborn...

I spend much time up there for our researches about the battle of the Bulge !

Amazing, It's a small small world... :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Some cracking work there, that paintwork is coming out very nicely indeed! I have this in my stash so will be looking forward to seeing how you tackle that rigging. Sounds a good way ahead though. Keep up the good work!

Bob

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, moaning dolphin said:

Some cracking work there, that paintwork is coming out very nicely indeed! I have this in my stash so will be looking forward to seeing how you tackle that rigging. Sounds a good way ahead though. Keep up the good work!

Bob

Thanks for the kind words Bob - I've really enjoyed the build so far,

Cheers,

Roger

12 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Liége !! Waow 70 Kms apart, So you know the "Boulet sance lapin ?? " 

I really enjoy Liége and I got many friends up there.

My Friend friend Pierre @BS103 is living in Waimes è Kms from Elsenborn...

I spend much time up there for our researches about the battle of the Bulge !

Amazing, It's a small small world... :rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

Alain,

I do remember the Boulet sauce lapin - delicieux! Also many visits to Bastogne and surrounds. Small world indeed...

Best Regards,

Roger

• Thanks 1