1/48 Hurricane

Seeing as we can't go out much I may as well start another kit. This Hurricane is ancient, picked up on ebay last year for about a tenner if I remember correctly. So I guess I shouldn't expect too much.

spacer.png

Are these colours close enough, or do I need a lighter brown and olive drab? I'm guessing early/Battle of Britain Hurricanes were matt finish?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sadly the decals are cracked and unusable. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

The Humbrol spay can marked Dark Brown 29 is usually called Dark Earth and is pretty good for RAF Dark Earth but its a wee bit on the light side now, like a weathered Dark Earth. Basically its fine.

Its a grand kit. But oddly, it doesn't have the slots under the wings for the shell cases to drop out.

You can either

1. ignore them

2, drill and cut them

3. use black decals for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought the old Airfix seat looked a bit bare, so I made some straps and a cushion pack.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Added some detail in the cockpit sides too. Just a piece of wire and some odd bits to bring it to life a bit. Unfortunately the kit only includes a one piece canopy so I can't display it open, so not much of this will be visible through all the canopy framing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And I added some rudder pedals, along with dirty flying boot scuffs which again probably won't show up through a closed canopy. 

spacer.png

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

... not much of this will be visible through all the canopy framing.

And I added some rudder pedals, along with dirty flying boot scuffs which again probably won't show up through a closed canopy. 

But YOU'll know they're in there, that's what counts! I put a C-47 navigator in the room behind the cockpit - both doors closed, and no window except the astro dome... but he's on board. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

British fighters didn't have cushion packs - the dished seat was for the parachute pack to sit in, and the pilot sat on the parachute pack.  But it wasn't kept in the aircraft.

Erroneous cushion pack removed!

spacer.png

• Like 3

Looking good so far. Nice kit for its day and still builds up into a good representation. Have you sorted out an alternative set of markings for it yet? If not give me a shout as I have a set from the new kit because I’m doing mine in Finnish markings.

PM me if interested 👍🏻

Trevor

• Thanks 1

The differences between this kit and the new one I'm building presently are very marked. You're doing a nice job of making a silk purse from a sow's ear!

• Thanks 1

@Quiet Mike I know what you mean about the blue plastic! That smell of glue and paint in my parents' kitchen as I stuck together Heinkels and F-111s before inaccurately painting them with Humbrol enamels. 

Thanks @Bell209. I might have to get the newer one depending on how this turns out! Will be interesting to see the difference with yours when it's done. Mine will probably look like a toy!

Starting to take shape. It just needed a tiny bit of filling along the upper wing root, other that it was surprisingly ok for such an old kit.

spacer.png

spacer.png

What a gibbon - I forgot the wingtip masking tape when spraying! To compound this I used the very last drop of spray on this. Luckily I have an old-school tin of Humbrol 90 so I've since removed the tape and hand painted over the gaps. It blends in almost seemlessly now.

spacer.png

I hadn't realised that this is the same colour underneath as 1950's Fleet Air Arm aircraft. 

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

After a trial on the tailplanes I think I'll handpaint the green camo. It goes well over the brown without leaving streaks or brush marks, plus it saves more masking. Also, I think the Tamiya olive drab looks closer to real Hurricane green than the AS-30 spray that I always use on post-war jets.

spacer.png

All over brown sprayed first. I'll let it dry overnight then handpaint the green in the morning.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

First attempt at hand painting camo for a long time, I think it's come out reasonably well by my standards. Not really any brush marks or thick streaks. The Tamiya paint is pretty good. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the nice comments! Not attempted a WW2 model since I was about 14! 

spacer.png

I'd like to do a Battle of Britain era one, would they have a lot of dirt and weathering? I tried a bit behind the exhausts but it doesn't show up much.

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 1

Looking real good Your Lordship, especially for paintbrushing in that scale.

AFAIK, the BoB Hurricanes took quite a punishment and went back into action after repairs, so the wear could very well show. And if operated from grass runways - which happened a lot - a wet&muddy field would leave its traces. That's just my 2 cents until proven wrong😉

• Thanks 1

Thanks Johnny, and good advice on the weathering/dirt. I've done a bit underneath behind the gun ports and wheel bays, pretty sure nobody would have had much time to clean them with Jerries to intercept every day!

spacer.png

• Like 2