P-40-CU Question

Jackson Duvalier

I'm planning to build one or two models of the very early production P-40 using the 1/72 Airfix kit.  Known modifications will include removal of the outboard wing guns and associated access panels, and the addition of blast tubes for the remaining wing .30 machine guns and the .50 nose guns.

I haven't found any irrefutable reference as to cockpit colour.  I suspect that Curtiss may have been using their variant of "Interior Green" by 1940 or '41, but there's also the possibility that they were still finished in aluminium lacquer at that point.  The black-and-white photos in the Detail and Scale volume that is my primary reference aren't fully conclusive, though they suggest Curtiss green to this observer.  I'll give the available photos another hard look but if anyone has evidence solid or circumstantial on this point I thank them in advance.  Any other relevant information would likewise be happily received.

I'll be using the AML P-40-CU sheet for marking the proposed model(s); I used their Pearl Harbor P-40 set on a previous Airfix Hawk and wasn't terribly impressed with their performance.  Does anyone have tips for working with AML decals water-slide transfers?

Hi Jackson,

The original P-40s would have used Yellow Green, a combination of zinc-chromate primer (yellow), aluminum paste, and black enamel.  You can find details here:

http://www.clubhyper.com/reference/showandtell1yellowgreendb_1.htm

You should also watch for changes aft of the cockpit on the fuselage right side, at the tail wheel, and (depending on the date of the aircraft you're depicting) at the leading edge of the wing/fuselage faring.  Be sure you don't include the under-fuselage rack.  I don't know the kit very well, but you should probably omit the armored glass inside the windscreen if it's provided by Airfix.

Cheers,

Dana

• Like 4

Thank you for the link to your article, Dana.  I feel reassured in my habit of mixing zinc-based greens to order for any particular model I'm working on.  

I'll refer to photos and up on check those other details you mention.  The Airfix kit doesn't include armoured glass, instead choosing to mould odd angled depressions on the inside of the windscreen.  Depending on what the photos I have to hand show, I might just replace it with a vac.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:35 PM, Jackson Duvalier said:

I'm planning to build one or two models of the very early production P-40 using the 1/72 Airfix kit.  Known modifications will include removal of the outboard wing guns and associated access panels, and the addition of blast tubes for the remaining wing .30 machine guns and the .50 nose guns.

I haven't found any irrefutable reference as to cockpit colour.  I suspect that Curtiss may have been using their variant of "Interior Green" by 1940 or '41, but there's also the possibility that they were still finished in aluminium lacquer at that point.  The black-and-white photos in the Detail and Scale volume that is my primary reference aren't fully conclusive, though they suggest Curtiss green to this observer.  I'll give the available photos another hard look but if anyone has evidence solid or circumstantial on this point I thank them in advance.  Any other relevant information would likewise be happily received.

I'll be using the AML P-40-CU sheet for marking the proposed model(s); I used their Pearl Harbor P-40 set on a previous Airfix Hawk and wasn't terribly impressed with their performance.  Does anyone have tips for working with AML decals water-slide transfers?

If doing a P40cu from a P40B/C the main problem is the rear left glass doed not have the two round opening for gas and oil fill that the P40B/C has.....you can't fill you have to create a new glass piece .. you then have to scribe the new fuel, oil and  hydraulic fill doors on the fuselage 

Notes the on P36vs P40cu vs P40B/C

P36vsP40cuvsP40BC.jpg

If kit makers would just do the rear glass with the frame then the could do glass inserts for the P40cu and P40B/C.. and then have the P40cu fuselage fuel door as a"fill" in if doing a P40B/C..  could get whole other version out of it

Glass_zpscmqdwrub.jpg

Edited by HBBates
  • Like 2