SE-CAD, a SAAB 91C Safir in civil colours

This is SE-CAD, a SAAB 91C Safir in civil colours, as she appeared in a commercial photo session by SAAB in Linköping Sweden, May 1955. The model is built from Tarangus 1/48 scale kit, with Maestro photo etch and decals from a special sheet by IPMS Östergötland. And not least a lot of masking tape was used to create the paintwork... The build thread can be found here.

S91_200.jpg

There are only two photos that I have found of SE-CAD in this rather striking livery, one B/W in air and one in colour where she stands in front of two sisters in similar designed but less striking colours. That is the photo that IPMS Östergötland used as base for their decal sheet of the three machines. I actually found that photo soon after Tarangus released the kit and knew right away that I had to build SE-CAD one day, even I would do the decals myself, so the IPMS-sheet appearing some time later was a real bonus.

S91_201.jpg

Seeing that commercial photo in 1955 should have made anyone looking for a private business- or sports plane to order a SAAB Safir right away, I think it's that good looking. At least I know I would have ordered one in exactly these colours...

S91_202.jpg

S91_203.jpg

S91_204.jpg

S91_205.jpg

S91_206.jpg

S91_207.jpg

S91_208.jpg

S91_209.jpg

S91_210.jpg

S91_211.jpg

S91_212.jpg

S91_213.jpg

S91_215.jpg

S91_216.jpg

S91_217.jpg

S91_218.jpg

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

What a great result. It's certainly a triumph from adversity!

I've already noticed one or two details that might elevate the 1/72 Heller kit I have.

• Thanks 1

A very attractive build. I'm impressed with how well you completed the cabin. That enhances the model wonderfully. A very distinctive model. Makes me wish we could get more private planes in plastic kits. Cessna 310 and Cessna 182 come to mind.

• Thanks 1

Having not long completed the Heller kit, I’m looking over these gorgeous photos and just marvelling at this modelling excellence. You’ve managed to complete a truly excellent replica which deserves to be highly praised. That is so good, very well done.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

What a gorgeous little aeroplane that is. 

You've done a superb job with the build and your attention to detail is first class. I particularly like the sun screens in the cockpit canopy and all this topped off with an immaculate finish. 

It's an absolute stunning model. 

• Thanks 1

This is a really great build!

It is a great inspiration to me for my project.

Im LIKE, LIKE! hope the other two can go through "service" repair.

by 

P.k

• Thanks 1

Very nice.............an unusual subject in an even more unique colour scheme. I've been fortunate enough to see a couple of the real machines at Stavanger-Sola Airport during my time in Norway.

The quality of craftsmanship and the overall finish are exemplary.

Well Done, Sir !

• Thanks 1

Hi Jörgen,

Ooh my, that's a stunner. A superbly built Safir  - one almost gets the urge to climb in and take off. But the smooth finish and fine detail is what really gets my attention. Bravo!

Jay

• Thanks 1