Meteor U.16 WK800 RAE Llanbedr 1/48

A splash of colour for the cabinet - Llanbedr’s RVMDI trials Meteor U.16 WK800/Z circa 1987. Built using the superb 1/48 Airfix Meteor F.8 'Korean War' kit and Alleycat’s AC48056 resin conversion set. Fairly straight forward conversion with a new nose, wing tips, lots of new lumps, bumps and aerials and a few notable deletions such as the gun ports. I also used Eduard’s cockpit detailing set, new wheels from Barracuda and a pitot tube from Master. The yellow is Mr Color 113 RLM04 and I used Humbrols 174 satin enamel for the red. Never sprayed Humbrol enamels before and in truth I wasn’t looking forward to it. Have to say it sprayed like a dream - might have to use them more often. Thoroughly enjoyed this kit and conversion though it did nearly go in the bin on a couple of occasions. Still have the aerial targeting pod (pic attached) to add but I’ve run into a bit of a brick wall on this one so won’t add it until I can find some more info particularly about the rear aspects. Hope it’s of interest.

image0

• Like 59

Superb build Pete - absolutely lovely result. I would say your choice of colours is spot on. I like spraying Humbrol enamels too but I don't really like their thinners - stinks horrible and I find it takes ages to fully cure. I tend to use cellulose thinners (but with care since it dissolves nearly everything given a chance!) which gives a great result much quicker.

Cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

That is just Superb.  I have both these kits and live down the road (ish) from the Boscombe museum where one of these examples resides.

I'm not sure I'll bother to build it now - I don't believe I can deal it the justice that you have!!

It's flawless as far as I'm concerned

:clap2::clap2::clap:

Rob

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Baldy said:

Superb build Pete - absolutely lovely result. I would say your choice of colours is spot on. I like spraying Humbrol enamels too but I don't really like their thinners - stinks horrible and I find it takes ages to fully cure. I tend to use cellulose thinners (but with care since it dissolves nearly everything given a chance!) which gives a great result much quicker.

Cheers

Malcolm

Cheers Malcolm don’t have any problems with the smell from Humbrol thinners. They do take longer to cure but they’re  a lot less pungent than the Mr Color laquer thinners - they are horrible!

50 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

That is just Superb.  I have both these kits and live down the road (ish) from the Boscombe museum where one of these examples resides.

I'm not sure I'll bother to build it now - I don't believe I can deal it the justice that you have!!

It's flawless as far as I'm concerned

:clap2::clap2::clap:

Rob

Thanks Rob Didn't really appreciate these  birds when they were around but I certainly do now. Once during a visit to Valley I shot multiple passes by a couple of RAFG Phantoms (Zenit E with FP4 in those days) and completely ignored an old yellow and red Meteor that landed between them- still can’t believe it.

• Like 1

In photo 4 (left rear quarter view), I note what appears to be flat plates on the rear of the rudder. I don't remember having seen this feature before and considering the excellent quality of the build I doubt that this is an error.  Did all the bumps and protrusions added to this special edition of the Meteor require additional trimming not needed on other versions? Could some one comment on these plates?

These flat plates fitted to the rudder are there for correcting or equalling up the balance on the rudder, these plates can be and are reduced one side or other and or both sides by filing them down Iaw the flight manual. Canberra has similar plates on the elevators.

Hope this helps

Simon 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ejboyd5 said:

In photo 4 (left rear quarter view), I note what appears to be flat plates on the rear of the rudder. I don't remember having seen this feature before and considering the excellent quality of the build I doubt that this is an error.  Did all the bumps and protrusions added to this special edition of the Meteor require additional trimming not needed on other versions? Could some one comment on these plates?

19 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

These flat plates fitted to the rudder are there for correcting or equalling up the balance on the rudder, these plates can be and are reduced one side or other and or both sides by filing them down Iaw the flight manual. Canberra has similar plates on the elevators.

Hope this helps

Simon 

Hi

Simons explanation of the deflector plates is correct. Although its a little grainy this Marshalls of Cambridge photograph shows them fairly clearly.

Pete

23EEA604-1EE4-44FE-B3CC-6B0A71C2A54F