K5054 'Spitfire' 1/72

Nice to get this one finished finally: Airfix's 1/72 Spitfire Ia tinkered with to produce K5054. The model depicts the aircraft in early 1937, around the time of its wheels-up landing at Martlesham Heath. By then the Spitfire had the eight brownings fitted and they were experimenting with different kinds of exhaust pipes. The cowling had a strengthening strip above the exhaust stacks, which I created with plastic card. The exhausts here came from the early Airfix Hurricane kit and look similar enough to what's in the photos. The aircraft also had a tailwheel by then, so it was looking very close to what became the Mark I Spitfire. 

There is no doubt lots wrong with the model: information about the original is incomplete so I didn't go all-out for correctness as I would never be fully sure whether it's really right. Instead I wanted to capure the spirit of it in 1/72. For the colour I made a bright summery mix of Tamiya XF-23 Light Blue, X-3 Royal Blue and X-2 White. I changed a few of the panel lines, some the obvious ones, some less so, to get close enough to the real thing, and to reflect what I know about the prototype (which ain't a huge amount). And I added the daisy-cutter wheel doors as I think they were still fitted at this point in time. The wheels came from the good old Matchbox Mk IX kit, and they look decent enough. Decals are from Xtradecal, and they behaved very well. I should thank them for including a pair of spare fuselage roundels in the set as I made a placement mistake first time around and had to remove them, sand, repaint and reapply. Anyroad enough verbiage, on with the photos:

resized_ce0a0079-cab2-450a-8506-c23325a5

resized_2f602eb4-8632-4a6c-82cb-cb4ded9d

resized_384e8638-1699-47ab-b717-bd8cc1b4

resized_657b001f-0cc7-448c-a1e5-ad0ac6e2

resized_08bba222-ed18-44eb-9698-36986ab8

resized_0c04b316-0baa-4765-941a-d93482d6

And here's one of the real K5054 having landed wheels-up near Martlesham in spring 1937.

6f2222e5-2f84-431f-bfaf-00994c3c97c3.png

Thanks for looking.

Justin

• Like 46

Nice looking model that captures the clean lines oof the prototype well. I am planning on doing the CMR kit as it appeared at the time of its first appearance at Hendon on June 1936

• Like 1

What a lovely representation, good work!  And the grey colour looks spot on too, much more workmanlike for it's life in testing, after it's run of air displays the previous summer.

• Like 1