Tiger! Lightning F1, XM143/A, No. 74 Sqn, RAF Coltishall, 1962.

I built this oob from the old 1997 Airfix kit, which I thought despite its age went together pretty well. 

The famous 'Tigers' of 74 Sqn were the first to fly the mighty Lightning, and the only unit to operate the first F1 version. Flying from Coltishall under the command of Sqn Ldr (later Grp Capt) Peter Botterill, the squadron's aircraft began receiving black fins soon after entering service, and formed the Tigers aerobatic team that displayed at Farnborough and other venues in the early 1960s. This is Sqn Ldr Botterill's aircraft, XM143/A.

All comments and suggestions more than welcome. Keep safe out there.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 45
  • Thanks 3

I've always liked the Lightning. I rank it with the F-4 as one of my favorites. Your model is superb and ,wow, the cockpit!

• Thanks 1

Gorgeous! You can't go wrong with a Lightning and you've done a fine job with the Airfix kit. Its still a fabulous model... I've done a couple but ran out of room so had to go back to 72nd scale! I still think the 48th version captures the aircraft beautifully. 👍

• Thanks 1

This is excellent. I'm going to send a link to my parents who are (still) Lightning nuts. They were both in the RAF and met at Coltishall in 1962 when the Tigers were operating from there.

Regards

Mike

• Thanks 1