Lancaster ASR III/GR III +++FINISHED+++

Valenstitch

So here is today's remedial work update!

I had shot some primer onto the fuselage which revealed the join seam required a bit of rework, so last night I put some filler on the join and emptied the fridge of cider! Not happy! This morning I rubbed it back...... 

spacer.png

The second issue was even more frustrating, My preferred primer is Stynylrez, I have to take reasonable precautions with it because of previous problems spraying, so it gets a thorough stir from my electric whizzer, and then I pour it through a filter, then it goes on beautifully, anyhow, I was running low on primer and foolishly decided to try some Vallejo primer, it sprayed very well and I was happy with it, but I came across a review where a user said that if you had to mask with tape on this primer it would come off, since this version will require some masking I thought I would give it a go with a bit of Tamiya tape, and lo and behold the Vallejo primer lifted, so this morning I had to clean it off the upper wing surface with a cotton bud dipped in Mr Hobby thinners, which thankfully removes all makes of acrylic paint plus polyurethane primer! The engine nacelles were left because there wont be any masking there.   

spacer.png

spacer.png Once the fuselage was reworked I shot it with a light coat of white Stynylrez, much better! Starting to smile again!

I am going to try and paint the small portion of fuselage that is covered by the canopy tomorrow, then fit the canopy and astrodome.

spacer.png

Here is a very detailed and clear image of the starboard wing undera new coat of white Stynylrez!

spacer.png

Much much better!

spacer.png

I am masking the canopy with an Eduard mask, first time with one of these, I think if you can justify the expense it`s worth it with a big expanse of canopy like this!

spacer.png

This is where the manufacturers opinion differes from mine! Stage 56, parts 49 and 50 are the wrong way round, if you put them in as per this suggests the teardrop is too low on the canopy, you need to swap them over, then it looks fine!

spacer.png

I have been doing the transparencies bit by bit over the last couple of days. Still got the bomb aimers dome to go, and the back end of the canopy.

spacer.png

Here`s a better shot of my detailed front turret interior, not that any of this will be visible once I slap the front of the turret on!

spacer.png

So black eyes verses feathers in my cap? I think the win collumn just edges it!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 7

As my old drill sergeant used to say, "We are in a tunnel, but there is a glimmer of light in the distance", what relevance that has to this build God only knows, but a bit more progress has occurred. And for you lovely people I`m going to share it today!

spacer.png All the lovely little transparencies are awaiting fitting, there are a couple of bits still to mask, the aft end of the canopy and three areas of liquid mask.

I took the plunge and fitted the wings, tail-plane and fins, there was a slight fettle required with the starboard main-plane but it`s all firm now. The tail-plane and fins need priming once I have fitted the mass balances to the rudders, there are a smaller set of four mass balances intended for the rudder trim tabs, but as far as I can tell they were not required or fitted to the Lincoln type rudder, PA474 hasn't got them in any Images from the Haynes manual, nor can I see them in any of the other images of the Lincoln rudder Lancasters in my reference books or my searching the web! 

spacer.png  

I do like a Lincoln rudder! There are two rear turret fairings in the kit, I don`t know which should be used, anyone out there able to point me in the right direction?

spacer.png

Underneath hasn't come out too bad........

spacer.png

This little bunch of bits needs refining, I`m going to try and convert the early pitot head into the third "toasting fork" antenna that goes centrally beneath the bomb aimers window.

spacer.png

And finally, as an Easter treat, I couldn't resist trying the Lifeboat for size! 

spacer.png

spacer.pngThere will be an amount of fettling to get this snug underneath, but it looks the part!

Still winning!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 7

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Not going to be much clearance under the boat!

Easy there Pete, don`t fill me full of doubt at this stage of the build, I`m four spiced rums down, anything could happen!

Granto

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A bit more progress to report

I attached the canopy over the weekend, it got a good shot of black primer, then the whole shebang was sprayed with white Stynylrez which revealed a few flaws, I sorted them out and resprayed those areas. I had to do a little mod on the rudders where the mass balances will go, this involved inserting a small block of plastic strip into a hole in the rudder and gluing it solid, I also decided to fill the gap between the tail-plane and the fuselage. While that was going off I did some pre-shading with dark ocean grey, all very random to help break up what will be a vast area of white! 

spacer.png

The grey blob is right over my new windows, I might have to tone that down a bit1

spacer.png

spacer.png  And finally it`s time to mask the props up!

So that was an Easter weekend`s work, Not a lot to show for it! But still winning!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 5

A small amount of progress to report, I had hoped to do a bit more, but last Tuesday the "Leg Iron" tripped over the kerb in the deserted car park of the leisure centre and broke her wrist while we were walking the dog, so we have had a "redistribution of household duties" following her emergency operation! Apparently the doctor at the hospital said she can drink as much Gin as she needs to numb the pain, at least thats what she said when I brought her home! 

Anyway, I found time to attach the bomb aimers dome and insert the undercarriage, which is probably more robust than it looks, but was in my opinion a bit of a faf! It`s all been primed and is now awaiting the paint job. 

I`m still debating whether to spray the grey first, in terms of masking it would be less work to mask the grey off and then spray the white than vice versa.

spacer.png 

The sub assemblies of the turrets and the props and wheels are just about done.

spacer.png

As are the spinners, the exhausts and the U/C doors have had some primer as well.

spacer.png

So still winning, until I have to put my wimple on and become Flo Nightingoon! 

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 6

Nice progress and I’ll be interested to see how that preshading looks after the top coat white goes on. I’ll be honest, it’s not something I consider doing and have actually painted my Lanc a solid white, trying hard not to have any evidence of tonal difference whatsoever. I’m sure yours will look more realistic compared to mine. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ll be interested to see how that preshading looks after the top coat white goes on

So will I Dave!, TBH, I have never painted an aeroplane white, but some of the Lancasters in Martin Derry`s book Avro Lancaster Lincoln and York in post-war service look particularly "Lived in", and those images have been my inspiration with this build, so I thought I would try as many painting techniques as my skills would support! So that would be the pre-shading covered! It`s all a learning curve anyhow, I think the Revell Lanc is a good kit, there is some nice detail there, and with a few corrective mods builds into a very nice representation for £20! 

Granto  

• Like 1

So here I am in my fifth week of lockdown, I think I`m coping with it quite well, in fact this is the longest period of inactivity in my life....since I left the Army! Ideal training for doing nothing!

I decided I didn't like the poxy H2S scanner in the kit, so I built a better one after having a look on the internet. Here is my Mk2c scanner, it`s probably over scale, but it fits in the dome and will only be seen from the rear.

spacer.png

Then it was time for paint! This is the first pass of MSG.

spacer.png

This is the second pass

spacer.png

The starboard wing is in reality a lot closer to the even finish of the port wing, but I am happy with the tonal variation overall. I will shoot a third very light coat, and then leave it for 24 hours before masking.

spacer.png

Winning!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 7

Looking good Granto,

Did you ever sort out the rear turret question? AFAIK the normal FN 20 was modified into the later FN 120/121 but the main changes seem to have been internal. Some had layers of armour plate between the guns, and in some cases this and at times the perspex panel were removed to give the gunner a better view. FN and BP were asked to design a new turret with twin 50cal, and the resulting FN 82 was accepted for service in ;late 1944 but whether or not they were fitted is unclear. The one 50 cal version that was fitted was the Rose R1 of which 227 were made - all according to my book on wartime turrets. The R1 had the guns wider spaced I believe and a large cut out between them. Exactly what would be fitted to the one you are modelling I have not a clue if you have not already decided I doubt it matters one way or the other.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Looking good Granto,

Did you ever sort out the rear turret question? AFAIK the normal FN 20 was modified into the later FN 120/121 but the main changes seem to have been internal. Some had layers of armour plate between the guns, and in some cases this and at times the perspex panel were removed to give the gunner a better view. FN and BP were asked to design a new turret with twin 50cal, and the resulting FN 82 was accepted for service in ;late 1944 but whether or not they were fitted is unclear. The one 50 cal version that was fitted was the Rose R1 of which 227 were made - all according to my book on wartime turrets. The R1 had the guns wider spaced I believe and a large cut out between them. Exactly what would be fitted to the one you are modelling I have not a clue if you have not already decided I doubt it matters one way or the other.

Cheers

Pete

It`ll be an FN120/121, I've only seen one image of an ASRIII from 236 OCU with an FN82, all the rest of my research where the image is distinct, either points to the standard four gun turret (usually without the guns fitted) or the images don't show the turret at all. I intend to build my other Revell Lanc as a BVII, I already have the FN82 vac-form in the stash along with a Martin mid-upper.

Granto 

• Like 1

A very nice build coming along. The postwar Lancasters are interesting beasts with a range of colour schemes. 

• Like 1

Just to let you know the FN82 also comes spare with all the latest Airfix Lanc kits, so you might get away with not having to use a vacform. Oddly enough, there are no holes or slots to poke the guns through so you need to drill these out yourself. I’ve got one planned for my build, however have not tackled this part as yet. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of progress to report, I am finally happy with the paint job......I had a nozzle on my airbrush split which caused me a few problems followed by numerous bleeds under my masking tape into panel lines, but by reversing the masking and over spraying with the fine detail nozzle and needle in my airbrush I sorted almost all of it, just one bleed left to deal with on the front turret fairing. 

spacer.png

I still have to fit all the antennas, aerials, pitot head and rudder mass balances, but that can wait until the decals are on.  

spacer.png

And you can still just discern the preshade under the MSG........

spacer.png

So what colour to paint my Airborne lifeboat? White, yellow or blue? Answers on a postcard!

Win column I think!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 5

That's looking absolutely beautiful Granto, the grey and white demarkation just looks so right on this Lancaster. As for the lifeboat, my head says yellow however a blue one would look quite nice and more importantly a little different. You've already got a fair bit of white, so I'd choose one of the other two colours. Great work! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

Getting near the finishing line now, I was able to spend a few hours getting the Decals on yesterday, they all went on beautifully! So I left it all to settle overnight with my "Bench Blocker" PRXIX!

spacer.png

I used the stencils from the kit and the rest came from the Extradecal Post War Lancasters set, all with a liberal application of setting solution!

spacer.png

Very fetching in it`s Maritime scheme!

spacer.png

I still have to insert the landing lights, which will entail punching two little holes through the buzz number.

spacer.png

So today I will be mostly sealing decals...........and trying to finish the PRXIX to make some room for something else............

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 5

Got a bit more done this afternoon, Flory wash........well, Flory bath! Minging! This took about ten minutes!

spacer.png

This was about two hours later. Some of these Maritime Lancasters had a very lived in look, which is handy, because that goes with my style of modelling! 

spacer.png

There's a lot more cleaning to go, but the finished article is starting to emerge.

spacer.png

The panel lines have come out well in my opinion.

spacer.png

But still more to come off underneath.

spacer.png

All good!

spacer.png

Yeah, a productive afternoon!

spacer.png

Time to think about exhaust stains!

Win column all the way!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 6

A bit more work done while I wait to see if I`m going back to work next week yet.

I started on the extensive exhaust staining. 

spacer.png

Its taking a while to get the appropriate mix and depth of pigment, but it`s getting there!

spacer.png

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 5

Props and spinners on, exhausts fitted and sitting on her wheels for the first time!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, there's a forest of antenna to go on, the weathering needs tidying up and I need to sort the lifeboat out. Winning!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 6

Almost done now, undercarriage doors are on, main wheels are glued solid, landing lights are in, just three antenna, the pitot and the rudder mass balances to go.

spacer.png  

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

However, there is also the question of the Airborne Lifeboat, It is a hoofing great lump of resin and there are some fit issues, so with five days to go I might quietly slip the lifeboat back in the stash for another day and another Lancaster, I don't know, I`ll have a ponder and a scratch.........

But everything else is going in the win column!

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 5

Masks off, everything but the lifeboat fitted, some touching up to do, and a good clean all over, but I think I`m going to make the deadline.........probably

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ta for lookin` no G

Granto

• Like 5