Fairly Fulmar 1/48 MPM.

Colin W

Hi Chaps 

Just for bit of fun here's my next subject for this Group build. Which plane is next in the sequence? 

20200327_154516

Colin 

Edited by Colin W
Changed title
  • Like 3

Yes a Fairly Fulmar. Right first time. 

MPM kit bought from Bill Clarke's model shop in Kent a few years ago. 

Colin 

I decided to fold the wings so started by cutting out the separate sections. 3 parts becoming 11. Quite soft plastic to be working with. 

20200327_212552

Colin 

• Like 4

Had a great day on this yesterday. 

Most of the interior started with bulkheads fitted. Inner wing section has wheel well sides fitted.  

20200330_083334

Colin 

• Like 7

Looking at grey Beemers build of the Special Hobby Version there is a lot of resin and PE in that boxing. If I'd known then i would have bought that one. These eastern European manufacturers are very confusing. Looks like i will have to carry on without. The wing fold will be done from scratch. 

Colin 

Edited by Colin W
Spelling
  • Like 1

Great stuff so far, I attempted this build quite a few years ago, its still waiting for a few finishing touches. The wing fold isn't really too difficult to replicate, as long as you have plenty of plastic card!. I would link my build but unfortunately it got lost in the photobucket debacle!

Bob

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 3:21 PM, Colin W said:

Looking at grey Beemers build of the Special Hobby Version there is a lot of resin and PE in that boxing. If I'd known then i would have bought that one. These eastern European manufacturers are very confusing. Looks like i will have to carry on without. The wing fold will be done from scratch. 

Colin 

The Special Hobby kit is good but fitting the cockpits does require grinding out a lot of plastic from the inside of the fuselage.  I had a look back at my previous SH Fulmar build and had to grind away a lot there to - so it is consistent.  It would be improved if all of the control surfaces were separate to be fitted by the modeller.

The hardest bit about the Fulmar is researching the colour schemes for which you need to know the serial number and preferably need a clear photograph.  

I’m currently building an 806 NAS aircraft flown by Lt WLL Barnes from HMS Illustrious in the late 1940/41 period when FAA fighters were transitioning from S1E to TSS (only need 3 x 806 cabs in the collection; Barnes, Sewell, Brabner).  Depending on the serial number there is S1E high curved demarcation, high stepped demarcation, high straight demarcation, high straight demarcation TSS, low demarcation TSS.  Then there is the black/white IFF under wing marking - include or not to include, Sand & Spaghetti - include or not include.  To add to this there appears to be poor to no documentation from 806 and it’s pilots (Yellow section or A being the best you get).

I have to do a 803 NAS Ark Royal Fulmar too (Lt Cmdr JM Bruen).  Easy, low demarcation TSS (I also have a serial and aircraft letter for that one).

If you have a reliable colour scheme with your kit - stick with it, save your brain cells for something more important...

• Like 1

Thanks Grey,

This is a bit too specific for me. I was planning to build the sole survivor in the FAA museum. Mind you it does have a boring colour scheme....

Cheers Colin 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Thanks Grey,

This is a bit too specific for me. I was planning to build the sole survivor in the FAA museum. Mind you it does have a boring colour scheme....

Cheers Colin 

Be careful on that one and study the photos.  It was, I think, the MkI prototype that got converted to a MkII.  I noticed that the UC doors were a non production configuration.  @tonyot Has more knowledge than me on that one...  Have a chat with him..

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

It was, I think, the MkI prototype that got converted to a MkII.

Thanks Grey, 

That was also my understanding. It was kept on by Fairy for development and then as a hack before being passed directly to the FAAM. The Navy of course having trashed all theirs. 

Colin 

On 4/2/2020 at 8:48 AM, Grey Beema said:

The Special Hobby kit is good but fitting the cockpits does require grinding out a lot of plastic from the inside of the fuselage.  I had a look back at my previous SH Fulmar build and had to grind away a lot there to - so it is consistent.  It would be improved if all of the control surfaces were separate to be fitted by the modeller.

The hardest bit about the Fulmar is researching the colour schemes for which you need to know the serial number and preferably need a clear photograph.  

I’m currently building an 806 NAS aircraft flown by Lt WLL Barnes from HMS Illustrious in the late 1940/41 period when FAA fighters were transitioning from S1E to TSS (only need 3 x 806 cabs in the collection; Barnes, Sewell, Brabner).  Depending on the serial number there is S1E high curved demarcation, high stepped demarcation, high straight demarcation, high straight demarcation TSS, low demarcation TSS.  Then there is the black/white IFF under wing marking - include or not to include, Sand & Spaghetti - include or not include.  To add to this there appears to be poor to no documentation from 806 and it’s pilots (Yellow section or A being the best you get).

I have to do a 803 NAS Ark Royal Fulmar too (Lt Cmdr JM Bruen).  Easy, low demarcation TSS (I also have a serial and aircraft letter for that one).

If you have a reliable colour scheme with your kit - stick with it, save your brain cells for something more important...

Hi Grey Beema

Is it so bad?  I was building Battle form MPM, and ... I couldn't finish it. It was such a nightmare, the fuselage was twisted and banded.  Canopy's plastic was not transparent and had a lot of cracs. But I thought that this one is better. 

1 hour ago, Franz75 said:

Hi Grey Beema

Is it so bad?  I was building Battle form MPM, and ... I couldn't finish it. It was such a nightmare, the fuselage was twisted and banded.  Canopy's plastic was not transparent and had a lot of cracs. But I thought that this one is better. 

No it’s not really bad at all.  It was all straight, no warping.  Just remember they are short run kits, it’s not like Tamiya that you throw into the air and it assembles itself as it hits the bench.  Lots of great detail which rewards careful construction and painting.  

You will need filler, I use my own melted sprue version.  Go and take a butchers on my build thread if you want to see the amount of filling..

Good comments above. These limited run kits can be challenging but open up greater opportunities than we would otherwise have. A kit such as this would not be economically viable for a mainstream manufacturer.

Back to the action. 

I have neglected this build to finish the Sea sprite which is now in the gallery. Most of the interior done, just debating whether to add the seats and floor before joining the halves. 

Fulmar 1

Colin 

• Like 3

Real progress over the last few days in lockdown. Fuselage halves together and outer wing panels assembled. 

20200406_093532

Inner wing sections assembled and all boxed in. It was going so well until I realised that the ailerons are both dropped. I need to cut them out as well. Back out with the saw.

20200407_150027

Colin 

• Like 4

Looking very sweet, the wing fold on this just looks so neat. Just for info the wing tips of the main wing physically lock into the leading edge of the tail planes, IIRC there is a pop up lock in the tail plane that the wing latches (or it may be the other way around?). When I did mine there were quite a few pictures around, mainly the FAA museum example.

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 1

Bob you are correct about the wing structure and this makes the model more practical. 

Main colour scheme now completed and leading edge left in sky grey ready for the spaghetti. 

20200418_225433

Lots of modelling but no time to update the thread. 

Colin 

• Like 4

Completed the spaghetti and spinach colouring on the leading edges, fitted the undercarriage and put the decals on.

20200420_144300

Colin 

• Like 6