"The Flying Block of Flats" - The Blackburn Beverley C.1 - 30 Squadron 1965

Mornin' all!

You may have seen floating around the WIP forum, my effort to build one of the more obscure aircraft to enter service into the RAF, but a vital one.

"During the Cold War period, the British Royal Air Force (RAF) Transportation Command section required a modern heavy strategic transport. The call was answered by General Aircraft through the GAL.60 "Universal Freighter" Mk 1, an odd-looking, yet highly useful, high-winged, four-engined aircraft. The cargo hold was served by a combination door-and-ramp arrangement and Bristol "Hercules" engines drove conventional propeller units. The cockpit sat over the nose of the deep fuselage and a raised tailboom completed the aircraft. Of particular note was the fixed, wheeled undercarriage which did away with a complex retracting function and lowered maintenance commitments. A first flight was held on June 20th, 1950. Blackburn Aircraft was responsible for manufacture of the series.

Total production eventually yielded forty-nine units with 20 of these through a first-batch order. Service introduction came in 1955 and production ended in 1958. At the time of its adoption, the Beverly was the largest aircraft in service with the RAF. "

We then move forward to 1965. A fresh faced lad from Gloucestershire completes his boy entrants to the RAF and gets his first proper posting to Royal Air Force M.Hurraq - My dad....Airman A.Wright. You can read and see more on the build on this link.

Unfortunately the "Insert image from URL" will not allow me to post individual pictures at this time. Not sure why though?

So here is the album on Flickr for you to take a look at instead.

Blackburn Beverley Pictures

• Like 9

• Mikey-1980 changed the title to "The Flying Block of Flats" - The Blackburn Beverley C.1 - 30 Squadron 1965

You don't need to use the 'insert image' button.

Just paste the photo's URL into your post. When you submit the post, the link will magically convert and show the image itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a great kit, fiddly in places but in general, pretty decent.

There is a further PE kit you can get if you after some additional detail like the loading ramp, though I cannot find where i say them. i know it was a Polish website I saw them on.

I am half tempted to get another and make an aircraft from 84 Squadron too. Or perhaps the prototype from 1959?

Would be great to see your effort next to the Argosy? @binbrook