Lavochkin LA-7s - Eduard 1/72 Dual Combo

CedB

Political Commissar: Sorry Comrade we must remove your feet if you are to fly the plane.

Pilot: How will i fly without feet ? 

Commissar: You shall figure it out. If your feet are so important you can become a soldier in the infantry, and fight the Germans on the front lines.  

Pilot: Comrade Commissar please take the feet I can fly without them ! 

• Haha 10

Nice going on the PE. I saw a second hand electron microscope on eBay last week, if you’re interested...

Well your next build will have to be a diorama with a vehicle and someone underneath repairing it. You can use up some of the boots that way!

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 9

17 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nicely done!

I do admire your lack of squeamishness when it comes to butchery surgery. At least he won't get cold feet!

Ian

Thanks Ian. Has to be done, it's for their own good :wicked:

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Yes, Ced the Undaunted.

Thanks Cookie :D 

14 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Lovey catch up Mr B. Wonderful work.

just a small question. How many lopped off limbs do you think you have knocking around? Do you keep them all? Or give them a proper burial. One has to now. 🤪😂🤣

Ah, now, disposal of 'clinical waste'… I have a bin :) 

10 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Just as well really, it could would be damning evidence if when it came to trial....!! :whistle: 

A trial? Nah, they're trapped in glued in cockpits with no working radios :evil_laugh:

8 hours ago, Andwil said:

He chucks them in a pot of TET to make pilot gloop out of them.

:evil_laugh:

AW

Muahaha indeed! :D 

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Political Commissar: Sorry Comrade we must remove your feet if you are to fly the plane.

Commissar: You shall figure it out. If your feet are so important you can become a soldier in the infantry, and fight the Germans on the front lines.  

:rofl2: Thanks Dennis.

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice going on the PE. I saw a second hand electron microscope on eBay last week, if you’re interested...

Well your next build will have to be a diorama with a vehicle and someone underneath repairing it. You can use up some of the boots that way!

Regards,

Adrian

Oooh, more tools… :D 

16 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

... and then markets it as a competitive filler to Squadron.

He calls it "Soylent Green"...

Ah, a commercial opportunity I've missed - thanks Adrian :D 

Cleaned up and turned over ready for the 'wheels up':

49776657682_41a4ba3c43_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Sometimes you just wish it was Airfix…

Mojo dampened, pondering, ideas welcomed!

• Like 6
  • Sad 7

14 minutes ago, CedB said:

Mojo dampened, pondering, ideas welcomed!

Scratch build from card and/or brass. You just need to put a piece of tape on the wells, use a pencil to "copy" the shapes by running it along the edges, then transfer it to you material of choice. Brass springs to mind to properly follow the curved surfaces.

You then just need to fill in the wells with blue tack blobs to have the doors level (but I bet you remember that ... :winkgrin:)

HTH

Ciao

PS: you may consider a partial scratch building: it looks like the top part of the outer doors is usable...

Edited by giemme
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio!

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

You then just need to fill in the wells with blue tack blobs to have the doors level (but I bet you remember that

I did! Thanks :) 

13 minutes ago, giemme said:

PS: you may consider a partial scratch building: it looks like the top part of the outer doors is usable...

Yes, I think so too…

This bit fits, almost:

49776739667_7a1b731cf1_z.jpg

See, I remembered!

49775887248_b8274ba884_z.jpg

So one side done:

49776763177_799d9a86fd_z.jpg

Almost.

I'll let that dry before I see if the remaining curved bit can be used to fill the gap…

• Like 11

Looks like this has become another exercise in patience and perseverance.

If you want something bigger next time, I've just come across a partially completed Mig 19 and it's HUGE, I could deconstruct it and send it to you. :dog:

Hope you're all staying well.

John

• Haha 3

Thanks John :) 

All well here and I hope you and yours are well too.

That goes for everyone, of course - interesting times eh?

Patience and perseverance? That's me done then :D 

I'll pass on the Mig thanks!

So, dry enough to try prodding the remaining bit in the gap with Giorgio's patented pick-up tool:

49776017268_4f4087b038_z.jpg

Carefully sand and dry fit, sand and dry fit, then discover the 'tricky curve' on the doors isn't right on the kit:

49776556191_219310a2e7_z.jpg

Probably looks OK 'wheels down' but not here.

I'm close to filing the gap with Milliput but perhaps G's idea of a template with some plastic thick enough to allow sanding over the LE?

Hmmm.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, CedB said:

I'm close to filing the gap with Milliput but perhaps G's idea of a template with some plastic thick enough to allow sanding over the LE?

Probably a lot less job if you do it my way (but then I'm lazy ...  :D ), and anyway I think it' s going to be a much cleaner job...

Ciao

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I'll let that dry before I see if the remaining curved bit can be used to fill the gap…

Ah, so you have absolutely no qualms about chopping off Ivan's legs to make him fit, but you're worried about shaving a bit of plastic off a landing gear door! 

'nuff said...

You're worse than Norman, at least he only bit their legs!

Ian

extra bonus points for anyone able to explain that last reference! (you'd have to be a "certain age")

Edited by limeypilot
  • Haha 10

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Oh Ian. I think Ced is more pragmatic than fighting biting.  So I'm worried as he is always lurking for new tools for his next wip. Maybe he has something like this on his bench, when someone sits up too high in his office. Easier than to deal with his legs Just said.

il_794xN.1154357222_gfu5.jpg

• Haha 9

18 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

If I hadn’t seen the figure of a FROG pilot without legs (I don’t remember where it was, Miles Magister? 🤔But it was definitely somewhere on FROG models!) I would have thought that this joke was about the Red Army Air Force! 😉😁👹

Ofcource, you's can argue that the pilot figure on the Airfix MiG-29 without legs,😉 but by the time the MiG-29 was in, the Soviet Air Force had not fought with Germany ... and the  commissar was abolished at the beginning of WWII! 😉😋😁

8 hours ago, CedB said:

So, dry enough to try prodding the remaining bit in the gap with Giorgio's patented pick-up tool:

49776017268_4f4087b038_z.jpg

Carefully sand and dry fit, sand and dry fit, then discover the 'tricky curve' on the doors isn't right on the kit:

49776556191_219310a2e7_z.jpg

Probably looks OK 'wheels down' but not here.

What would I do?  I would paste masking tape on the wheel bay, draw a outline of the wheel bay with a pencil.  He took off the masking tape, pasted it on a thin plastic, 0.2-0.3 mm thick would cut it along the contour marked with a pencil on the masking tape. Removing the stick from thin plastic and new wheel bay cover is ready!

Putty...sanding...plastic dust....it's  long, dusty way - is not mine!

B.R.

Serge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, giemme said:

Probably a lot less job if you do it my way (but then I'm lazy ...  :D ), and anyway I think it' s going to be a much cleaner job...

Ciao

'The Giorgio way' it is! See below. Thanks G :) 

21 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Ah, so you have absolutely no qualms about chopping off Ivan's legs to make him fit, but you're worried about shaving a bit of plastic off a landing gear door! 

'nuff said...

Ian

extra bonus points for anyone able to explain that last reference! (you'd have to be a "certain age")

21 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

A certain Mr Hunter I presume Ian.

Simon.

12 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Dates me as I also remember Billy, Eddie, Jackie, Terry, Paul, Allan, Johnny, Gary......et al

Oh dear!

Keith

3 hours ago, limeypilot said:

So do I, and I wasn't even a Leeds fan!

Ian

19 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Ditto!!

Keith

(for his sins a lifelong Swansea City and Spurs fan!)

I had no idea what this was all about then Ian posted and I twigged - football!

That's a sort of sport isn't it?

Don't do sport, sorry chaps :) 

17 hours ago, bbudde said:

Oh Ian. I think Ced is more pragmatic than fighting biting.  So I'm worried as he is always lurking for new tools for his next wip. Maybe he has something like this on his bench, when someone sits up too high in his office. Easier than to deal with his legs Just said.

[snip pic]

Thanks Ben - that looks like something I should put on my wish list! :D 

14 hours ago, Aardvark said:

If I hadn’t seen the figure of a FROG pilot without legs (I don’t remember where it was, Miles Magister? 🤔But it was definitely somewhere on FROG models!) I would have thought that this joke was about the Red Army Air Force! 😉😁👹

Ofcource, you's can argue that the pilot figure on the Airfix MiG-29 without legs,😉 but by the time the MiG-29 was in, the Soviet Air Force had not fought with Germany ... and the  commissar was abolished at the beginning of WWII! 😉😋😁

What would I do?  I would paste masking tape on the wheel bay, draw a outline of the wheel bay with a pencil.  He took off the masking tape, pasted it on a thin plastic, 0.2-0.3 mm thick would cut it along the contour marked with a pencil on the masking tape. Removing the stick from thin plastic and new wheel bay cover is ready!

Putty...sanding...plastic dust....it's  long, dusty way - is not mine!

B.R.

Serge

12 hours ago, giemme said:

Exactly.... :)

Ciao

Thanks Serge (and Giorgio) :) 

I think 0.2mm would be too thin as I want to be able to sand it over the leading edge.

So I used 0.8mm.

Here we go. Tape on and edges pressed down a bit:

49778087188_d5b5ddf2c9_z.jpg

Marked with a pencil rubbed around the edges and carefully cut out. Test fit:

49780322262_2f1b3e7666_z.jpg

Cut out of a Plastruct sheet with the jeweller's saw:

49780334832_8377e695b4_z.jpg

I've done three, one for this one and two for the other:

49780351317_b9cc7d3526_z.jpg

… file, sand, dry fit, repeat. Glue in:

49780110676_fda83cb714_z.jpg

Of course there's a gap. That'll need filling. And filing. And scribing.

Two more to do on the other one.

With this mess on the bench:

49779577628_f06f2bd90f_z.jpg

… the mojo's gone but I will persevere.

Eventually…

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, CedB said:

I had no idea what this was all about then Ian posted and I twigged - football!

That's a sort of sport isn't it?

:rofl2:

I'm sure you'll soon beat those recalcitrant undercarriage doors into submission Ced - but it's much easier to build wheels down, usually! (currently working on a Roden T-28 Trojan for a club lockdown virtual group build. Fitted the u/c on Tuesday - it was actually very nicely designed and fitted well. Then when I cheked the sit it was WAY too tail high. So had to chop 3mm out of the main legs and after an hour or so of nervous drilling and sanding of the two leg parts managed to pin and superglue them together so it now looks 'acceptable'. That wasn't fun!)

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

I think 0.2mm would be too thin as I want to be able to sand it over the leading edge.

So I used 0.8mm.

0.2 mm easier to handle.  You can just trim the scissors, as paper,  along the marked outline, with a minimum margin or simply scratch using templates.  Also, plastic of such a thickness is easier to bend.

In fact, using thin 0.15-0.2 mm plastic on the wheel bay covers  is a way to make them thinner and therefore more scale and realistic.

But You way with 0.8mm also maybe used. 

Where to get thin plastic 0.15-0.2 mm in conditions of self-isolation?  It's simple - thin plastic is the packaging of many products, including food products!

Important.  Use plastic with the marking "PS" is polystyrene which is glued with ordinary model adhesives, plastic with the marking "PP" is polypropylene, it is not glued with ordinary model glues but it can be glued with cyanoacrylate glue. This marking of "PS" or "PP" is usually stamped on the plastic packaging itself inside a small triangle, this is standard. There may also be digital markings, but I don’t remember the designation exactly.

Packaging from "PS" (what interests us) for food is now more rare, because packaging from "PP" is considered safer for contact with food.

B.R.

Serge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1