Lavochkin LA-7s - Eduard 1/72 Dual Combo

CedB

55 minutes ago, CedB said:

Needs 'knocking back' as Johnny says so we shall see…

Definitely, but they're going to look great :)

If you fancy one more step forward, you could add highlights, by painting the edges with (much) lighter base color (or drybrushing it,  even easier and as effective for the scale)

Ciao

Edited by giemme
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Giorgio :) Not sure they're going to look 'great' - the phrase 'lipstick on a pig' comes to mind… :D 

Better though:

49756172522_e270c2272d_z.jpg

They'll look great on the ceiling.

Cowling and spinners assembled and props ready for painting:

49756572002_9f4c4df0e2_z.jpg

HELP!! There's no instructions on how to paint the props!

The part trees are getting sparse now:

49756248556_8ee09f86fe_z.jpg

Even though the 'Eduard' label helps orientate, I've given in and copied the diagram:

49756620497_4a1bd17a3a_z.jpg

Should have done that before.

Empennage assembled:

49756619492_da8159af9c_z.jpg

Drying.

Lunch!

• Like 9

Just had my lunch ( well we are an hour ahead of you ) of home made Samosas, luvverly jubberly.

Painting the props without instructions? It could all end in tears. :dog:

Hope you and yours are staying well.

John.

PS Had my first trip out since 14 March this morning to pick up some eggs from a friend as there are none in the shops. Very spooky, I travelled 4km on the local Route National and saw two lorries and about half a dozen cars.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Had my first trip out since 14 March this morning to pick up some eggs from a friend as there are none in the shops. Very spooky

Congrats on getting out and about a little. What is it with the eggs, just went shopping yesterday myself and they're rare as 🦄💩 around Chicago as well. Do the chickens get affected by this ? 

Dennis

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Congrats on getting out and about a little. What is it with the eggs, just went shopping yesterday myself and they're rare as 🦄💩 around Chicago as well. Do the chickens get affected by this ? 

Dennis

I've seen somewhere that eggs are used in vaccine research and production. I don't know where I read it, but it could be right .........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/04/2020 at 12:04, Biggles87 said:

Just had my lunch ( well we are an hour ahead of you ) of home made Samosas, luvverly jubberly.

Painting the props without instructions? It could all end in tears. :dog:

Hope you and yours are staying well.

John.

PS Had my first trip out since 14 March this morning to pick up some eggs from a friend as there are none in the shops. Very spooky, I travelled 4km on the local Route National and saw two lorries and about half a dozen cars.

Thanks John :) 

I know! It's quiet isn't it? We drove to a local farm shop yesterday to pick up an order and there were very few cars around.

Lots of runners and cyclists - any excuse to get out I guess…

Trouble is, when things are quiet, people turn their brains off. A chap with a pushchair walked straight onto a crossing without looking and I had to slam the brakes on.

Bit of excitement eh? 

On 10/04/2020 at 17:05, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dennis

On 10/04/2020 at 17:40, Whofan said:

I've seen somewhere that eggs are used in vaccine research and production. I don't know where I read it, but it could be right .........

Dennis I think John's right - they use eggs to 'grow' vaccines so, if you have a supply chaps, fill your boots! 

2 hours ago, TheBaron said:

You've really go your eye in on painting IPs these days Ced. Some lovely work here.

Thanks Tony - I'll own up, it's PE :D 

Very low mojo at the moment and, what with farm shop collections, tidying up the fallen branches from the winter and mowing the lawn, little has been done.

Of course it's not helping that the next step is to glue a tiny bit of PE to the tiny gunsight:

49763668278_dc06ba9923_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

They give your FOUR of the things so obviously expect much pinging…

• Like 8

1 minute ago, CedB said:

I’ll be honest and say such things usually don’t get fitted, especially at 1/72nd scale.

I work on the basis that if it’s obviously visible on the finished model, it might go on. In this case, as it’ll be flying above head height, it would definitely be left on the fret, and added to the greeblies collection.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, CedB said:

But you have your sticky pick-up pencil, don't you? :whistle: :devil: I'd give it a try....

Ciao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Dennis I think John's right - they use eggs to 'grow' vaccines so, if you have a supply chaps, fill your boots! 

Actually Ced, while I agree with the idea of filling your boots if you have a supply, Mrs H thinks it’s more prosaic than vaccine production; she thinks eggs and flour are being diverted to bakeries, to cope with the extra demand. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

I’ll be honest and say such things usually don’t get fitted, especially at 1/72nd scale.

I work on the basis that if it’s obviously visible on the finished model, it might go on. In this case, as it’ll be flying above head height, it would definitely be left on the fret, and added to the greeblies collection.

Thanks Heather - very sensible. But then others always issue a challenge… :) 

22 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

I agree 100% Heather.

That being said, they do give four of the things, very thoughtful of them.

21 hours ago, giemme said:

But you have your sticky pick-up pencil, don't you? :whistle: :devil: I'd give it a try....

Ciao

Told you 🙄

19 hours ago, Whofan said:

Actually Ced, while I agree with the idea of filling your boots if you have a supply, Mrs H thinks it’s more prosaic than vaccine production; she thinks eggs and flour are being diverted to bakeries, to cope with the extra demand. 

Interesting article from The Grocer here. All sorts of things going on eh, including toe rags stealing eggs and chickens!

More people baking/cooking at home too - even I can cook an egg. If pushed :D 

Some mojo this morning so challenges accepted!

49768286036_8361212e6a_z.jpg

Two tiny PE levers stuck on to the gunsights.

You asked for it.

Lots of thoughts going through my head while I was doing that, some of them printable.

Like "This was supposed to be a rest from tiny".

And "All the usual rules don't apply at this level", like what sticks to what and how static can mess things up.

And "I bet they get knocked off when I paint"

But, as they say, in for a penny, in for a pound.

The next steps are to attach the rear view mirror and canopy handle. 

Here they are off the PE frame:

49768862627_9d20158b40_z.jpg

There.

In front of the pick-up pencil.

Madness. But they're on now:

49768542876_49a09e470c_z.jpg

I really am going to do something bigger next build.

Anyway, now that the internals are complete I can stick everything together and join up.

What's the join like?

49768874197_577946520c_z.jpg

Shall we call that 'interesting'?

I'll work out what's stopping it being a perfect join, sand it off and report later.

Lunch!

• Like 12
  • Sad 1

Looking good so far, I’m with Heather if I don’t think not can be seen it doesn’t get fitted. I have an SE5a I’m planning on tackling soon ( will be red and silver IAC colours )but the sheer volume of PE is actually putting me off. 

As for the flour thing I hear there has been a surge in home baking, but apparently the amount of flour that is sold as flour in supermarkets is a very small percentage of total production, so the bakeries aren’t seeing much of a change in supply levels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

how static can mess things up.

Perhaps you should get one of those anti-static wristbands and earth yourself to the bench....!! :)

38 minutes ago, Marklo said:

but apparently the amount of flour that is sold as flour in supermarkets is a very small percentage of total production, so the bakeries aren’t seeing much of a change in supply levels.

I read an item by one of the UK's biggest millers, and they said they were managing to keep up with bakeries demands, the problem with supermarket's supplies  was they have difficulties in packaging the flour in the small bags needed by domestic consumers - they don't have the capacity to keep up. Interesting logistics problems cropping up that we'd never normally hear about.

K

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Great to see that you have got your mojo back Ced.

Keep safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon, you and Lady Rose too :) 

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

Looking good so far, I’m with Heather if I don’t think not can be seen it doesn’t get fitted. I have an SE5a I’m planning on tackling soon ( will be red and silver IAC colours )but the sheer volume of PE is actually putting me off. 

As for the flour thing I hear there has been a surge in home baking, but apparently the amount of flour that is sold as flour in supermarkets is a very small percentage of total production, so the bakeries aren’t seeing much of a change in supply levels.

Thanks Marklo :) 

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Perhaps you should get one of those anti-static wristbands and earth yourself to the bench....!! :)

I read an item by one of the UK's biggest millers, and they said they were managing to keep up with bakeries demands, the problem with supermarket's supplies  was they have difficulties in packaging the flour in the small bags needed by domestic consumers - they don't have the capacity to keep up. Interesting logistics problems cropping up that we'd never normally hear about.

K

Cheers Keith - anti-static wristbands? They sound shocking :D 

Small bag shortage eh? Time to panic buy??!!

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Looking good, though :D :clap:

As you said, the wing join looks... interesting! :frantic:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Actually, with the internals fitted (watch all that PE - and the control stick!) the joins aren't bad:

49769317606_18c556e760_z.jpg

That seat and i/p are from the other one, now also glued.

We'll see what they're dry.

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, CedB said:

Actually, with the internals fitted (watch all that PE - and the control stick!) the joins aren't bad:

Not bad indeed! :goodjob:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

anti-static wristbands? They sound shocking :D 

Where's that groan emoji....??!! :rofl2:

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Time to panic buy??!!

Difficult when there's none around...!! :)

Aeroplane is looking very neat Tovarish Ced... 👍

K

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This pair is coming together well, the PE and your attention to detail take them to the next level!

Stay safe               Roger

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, giemme said:

Not bad indeed! :goodjob:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

19 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Aeroplane is looking very neat Tovarish Ced... 👍

K

Thanks Comrade! :) 

4 hours ago, Hamden said:

This pair is coming together well, the PE and your attention to detail take them to the next level!

Stay safe               Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

Time to seat the pilots:

49773135201_93be50351c_z.jpg

Oh dear. Should have dry fitted them before I inserted the i/ps.

"Ah Tovarich, how did you squeeze in there?"

49773512647_d826c1178d_z.jpg

"I took my boots off Comrade":

49772653043_865dac47d6_z.jpg

Wing roots sanded and wings blended in front and back:

49773223956_498f575f59_z.jpg

Ready for the cockpit glazing once the gunsight is fitted and the PE bits are painted up.

• Like 14

All looking good there Ced, and so what if you have a pair of Russian (Baders) flying them, who is going to see?

As for tiny P.E , I have the Eduard 1/72 Hellcat in the stash and I am wondering how the heck I am going to fit them.

Stay safe.

Simon.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced. It would be also interesting to know how many severely disabled are flying on your ceiling meanwhile. Any idea?

:rofl: Thanks Ben. Sorry, I don't keep records of surgery!

25 minutes ago, Spookytooth said:

All looking good there Ced, and so what if you have a pair of Russian (Baders) flying them, who is going to see?

As for tiny P.E , I have the Eduard 1/72 Hellcat in the stash and I am wondering how the heck I am going to fit them.

Stay safe.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - pick up pencil helps, a bit :) 

Gunsight painted and strange little window fitted:

49773407411_8261039b2f_z.jpg

The canopies are a bit weird as there's a small step between the sections (as per the real thing) so the back one was loosely positioned, the front section placed against the step you can see in the picture and the rear bit pushed up against it:

49772883038_48ea26bf06_z.jpg

I'll let that dry overnight and then check for gaps.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1