Lavochkin LA-7s - Eduard 1/72 Dual Combo

CedB

Excellent bending there Mr B.

sorry about the odd spelling before (now corrected) my phone “thinks” it knows what I want to write. It doesn’t. Looking good now kid. Full steam ahead. 🤩

Johnny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm feeling rather guilty about sending you this kit, I promise the next one won't have any challenging PE*.

* Searches stash for a Ventura Spitfire.

Edited by Beard
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

19 hours ago, limeypilot said:

Nice detective work to figure out that exhaust problem Ced. They do "look right" at least, so job done I'd say!

Ian

Thanks Ian - easier on the other one, I'd practiced :) 

16 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Phew, PE can be such a pain - thanks for blazing the trail on this one Ced, I've got this kit in the stash.

Cheers Cookie - you're very welcome! :D 

16 hours ago, giemme said:

Despite a low mojo level, you've managed an egregious progress, Ced! :clap:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yes, but when they tell you to use resin or pe, then you could be sure that some carving and sanding is on the list. Even with Eduard. Ok, I made my experience with Verlinden then and much more butchering and very thick copper pe. And I'm sad he's gone now forever. Cheers

True - as always, I need to think ahead :) 

11 hours ago, hendie said:

I think I would have been tempted to cut off the flap part, fit the rest following the curve of the fuselage, then make up some new flappy bits to fit on the hole.

you beat it into submission though Ced - well done

Now you tell me :D 

10 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Ced,

It looks like the area behind the exhaust/cowl flap on your La-7 might have been a poor representation of the exhausts as seen in the color profile in the attached link. A shame the one really close up photo of the RH side in the linked article was taken too far aft of that area, as it would have really given you a good look at that area. Is this a great hobby or what? Looks like every time they re-paint his La-7, it gets further and further away from the original finish!

Mike

https://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/la-7/la-7colors/27kozhedub/27kozhedub.htm

Thanks Mike :) References eh? Even the walkarounds in the links at the bottom of this page don't focus on the area I wanted, but done now (I hope).

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Excellent bending there Mr B.

sorry about the odd spelling before (now corrected) my phone “thinks” it knows what I want to write. It doesn’t. Looking good now kid. Full steam ahead. 🤩

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) No worries on the spelling - predictive text is a pain sometimes isn't it?

46 minutes ago, Beard said:

I'm feeling rather guilty about sending you this kit, I promise the next one won't have any challenging PE*.

* Searches stash for a Ventura Spitfire.

Please don't feel guilty Simon - I really appreciate the kindness and I'm over that hurdle now!

But a Ventura Spitfire? I've just searched the forum for that and I'll pass, thanks :D 

39 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Surely it’s time Ced built a nice 1/700 battleship?

:wicked:

Adrian

Wicked indeed! I'll stick to aircraft thanks!

Easier the second time:

49738207682_8f41e607aa_z.jpg

Those only took me, oooh, half an hour. the bending's easy but the sticking is hard :( 

Now for the PE on the cockpit floor:

49737337083_4cc014872d_z.jpg

• Like 14

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

It looks like the area behind the exhaust/cowl flap on your La-7 might have been a poor representation of the exhausts

It may be there for the all plastic version of the kit & Eduard forgot to say it needs removing?

Anyway that was a fine example of a modeller's perserverence, well done Ced, they look great now!

Keith

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Please don't feel guilty Simon - I really appreciate the kindness and I'm over that hurdle now!

But a Ventura Spitfire? I've just searched the forum for that and I'll pass, thanks :D 

You've got no sense of adventure.

• Haha 1

Thanks Keith - you may be right. I've just checked the instructions and no knife indicated :) 

Simon you're right too, no sense of adventure :D 

Control column with tiny lever (they give you four) and rudder pedals stuck on:

49738707436_903d0953ea_z.jpg

Now then, the instructions give you two i/p options, one for 'Early' and the other for 'Late'.

As usual Eduard give you no details of which option goes with which scheme and no dates on the scheme either.

Unless you tell me otherwise I'll go for 'Early':

49738180203_d0dc9d3de5_z.jpg

Of course I need to trim off the dials on the plastic and that ejector mark.

Nice one guys 🙄

• Like 12

The late instrument panel is a sort of an oddball. Certainly used in post-war, late production La-7s, some of the 2x20mm and most of the 3x20mm wartime production batches. You can recognize the "late" schemes by the 3 fairings for the Berezin B-20 guns on the cowling. Two are post war, the Czechoslovak camo and the overall green Soviet one, these likely had the late panel too. Hope that helps!

Is it me, or are the rudder panels installed backwards?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Hamden said:

Very nice work Ced, your exhaust solution is top notch.

Sorry no idea on which IP to use.

Stay safe   Roger 

Thanks Roger, very kind :) 

6 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

The late instrument panel is a sort of an oddball. Certainly used in post-war, late production La-7s, some of the 2x20mm and most of the 3x20mm wartime production batches. You can recognize the "late" schemes by the 3 fairings for the Berezin B-20 guns on the cowling. Two are post war, the Czechoslovak camo and the overall green Soviet one, these likely had the late panel too. Hope that helps!

Is it me, or are the rudder panels installed backwards?

Thanks Ventsislav - just what I needed.

It's not you and well spotted! Now corrected:

49740479052_91935480b5_z.jpg

I am an idiot.

Early i/p assembled:

49740480797_68f3e30526_z.jpg

…with extra Gator's Grip thin blobbed in for the dials.

It'll dry clear.

Hopefully.

• Like 14

12 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking snazzy. I thought you used Krystal Klear in the dials? I’m sure I got that tip from you? Either way You’ll nail it. 😇

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) Quite right, I'd forgotten! Now corrected:

49741546596_d874e1fd60_z.jpg

I got the idea from Stew, who probably got it from Agnes :D 

12 hours ago, bbudde said:

Yep, that looks more than fine!

Cheers

Thanks Ben :) 

10 hours ago, hendie said:

you're only an idiot when you ignore sound advice

(I would never have known)

Thanks hendie, appreciated :) 

Seat assembled, with the tiny PE valve on the tank and seat adjuster:

49741154848_01afc1bdfc_z.jpg

Of course, if these are going on the ceiling, they need some pilots. Does my bum look big in this?

49741409638_798f152152_z.jpg

I need to dry fit the close up and make sure their heads don't bang on the cockpit, but if they're OK I'll paint them khaki/brown after Googling 'VVS flying suit WWII'.

If that's not right then tell me, quickly! :) 

Seat backs painted and ready for close up soon:

49741997651_fb4270a1ca_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

• Like 10

@CedB sad to say the seat is wrong both on your and my builds... 🤣

I saw your update and something irked me that seat on mine is sticking above the fuselage line. It should be flush with the armor plate backing and the fuselage sidewall edge - notice the thin blue line on the instruction leaflet (I hadn't too)! The result is that is should be slightly angled due to the spacers below.

I just had to disassemble mine to fix it, after gluing everything together last night... You still have a chance to spare yourself the trouble.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Ventsislav :) 

Strange eh? Like you (I guess) I'd glued the bulkhead supports to the dents in the seat:

49745936277_f12cf4056d_z.jpg

…and that does leave it lower than the top of the armour. However, if I move the seat up the pilot's head will bang on the cockpit. At the moment he's OK:

49744784353_f9c6c31f81_z.jpg

Sorry about the blurry photo.

Pilot's have just been painted:

49745078663_fea4e1e43b_z.jpg

With a final touch up to paint the PE grey and a bit of dry brushing I'm ready to close up:

49745935377_76703a22f6_z.jpg

• Like 15

Nice progress, Ced! :clap:

Just for the sake of it, how about trying a dark wash on the pilots? It looks like there are enough crevices to effectively benefit from it (including their faces).

Just saying... :whistle:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hendie said:

they look like a right pair of old grumpy puss's

I was thinking more along the lines of Planet of the Apes! 

Ian

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, giemme said:

Nice progress, Ced! :clap:

Just for the sake of it, how about trying a dark wash on the pilots? It looks like there are enough crevices to effectively benefit from it (including their faces).

Just saying... :whistle:

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio - done! :) 

49749351877_cfcfb05662_z.jpg

…on the left one. See the difference? Subtle but better.

22 hours ago, hendie said:

they look like a right pair of old grumpy puss's

So would you be, coming from an old Airfix mould :D 

21 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I wondered how often you'd have your twin brother as your wingman...?!

:rofl2: Thanks Keith.

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

I was thinking more along the lines of Planet of the Apes! 

Ian

Oi! Just remember who's got the cannons! :D 

Currently playing 'remote Backgammon' with a mate using numbered boards and texting moves.

Has to be a mate as we're throwing our own dice - trust required.

So far we're managing a move a minute… or so.

Thrilling…

I've joined up the fuselage halves and the seams are horrid:

49748791871_6a05e68a31_z.jpg

49748792606_1b57d3ec5e_z.jpg

Watch those aerials Ced!

Before I get the filler out I thought I'd glue other stuff in.

The tailwheel doors fit pretty well:

49748280333_0eb1fa2928_z.jpg

The top cowling is attached to the gate with one of those nasty joins that leaves a nub just where you don't need it:

49748281058_edd3e7fb0d_z.jpg

… but once they were trimmed off the fit was pretty good:

49748824686_54ee7e045c_z.jpg

I think I'll fit the bits under the wings before I get the filler out.

Later.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

The pilot looks definitely better, but I would dare another wash, black this time. 

Nice job on the fuselages :clap: Some gap filling to do, I know, but all in all they look like they line up pretty well.

Ciao

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Ced... Im thinking of grabbing a few soviet aircraft on my next purchase,  including a couple of these. These kits look to be basic but also decent kits is that your opinion as well ? 

Dennis

Might be worth waiting for a bit Dennis - I'm liking the kits so far (even with the tricky PE flaps) but there's more to go! :) 

16 hours ago, giemme said:

The pilot looks definitely better, but I would dare another wash, black this time. 

Nice job on the fuselages :clap: Some gap filling to do, I know, but all in all they look like they line up pretty well.

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) I used Citadel 'Reikland flesh shade' as usual but black you say? Black? OK, you asked for it:

49752072013_f20719daea_z.jpg

Cue for song - 'Two lovely black eyes'…

Needs 'knocking back' as Johnny says so we shall see…

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Igor (at right) - "Ivan, what big ears we've got" Ivan ''What Igor, my left one is tiny, can't hear you'...

Sorry Ced. :whistle: :coat:

K

Thanks Keith :rofl2:

Mojo a bit low this morning but thinned some Humbrol filler and spread it down the seams where needed:

49752913917_9c6890b6b1_z.jpg

Mixed too much - the seams weren't as bad as I remembered.

I do like this stuff though - 'hot' to start with but then, as it starts to go off, you can scrape it off.

Sands like plastic, of course.

Nice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1