Tanks of Fury - New series on Smithsonian channel

Geo1966

There is a new program "Tanks of Fury" starting up on the Smithsonian channel (I can get this on FreeSat so presume it is also on other platforms).

It starts on Monday 30th March at 2100 hrs.

"The harsh realities of tank warfare in World War II as British and American armed forces rolled across Europe. Curators at Bovington's Tank Museum bring a rare German Tiger tank roaring back to life."

Might be worth a watch.

• Thanks 1

This looks well worth a look (judging by the trailer, at any rate). It's interesting that they are linking it to the movie "Fury", considering the film came out several years ago. They are obviously looking to attract fans of the movie.

Chris.

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.

Hopefully it isn’t another one of these hour long programmes with 20 minutes of content.  I don’t mind the adverts, at least I can fast forward through that, it is the tendency to repeat stuff throughout the programme.  Not sure if the makers do this to pad out the programme or whether they feel they have to recap after every break.  I find myself shouting at the TV “yes you have just shown and said that two minutes ago”.

Cheers,

Nigel

2 minutes ago, nheather said:

Hopefully it isn’t another one of these hour long programmes with 20 minutes of content.  I don’t mind the adverts, at least I can fast forward through that, it is the tendency to repeat stuff throughout the programme.  Not sure if the makers do this to pad out the programme or whether they feel they have to recap after every break.  I find myself shouting at the TV “yes you have just shown and said that two minutes ago”.

Cheers,

Nigel

This is because of the short attention span of most US citizens* (although it seems to have spread here too, judging by a few programmes shown here).

*P.S .not meant as an insult by the way.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Yorkshire man said:

This is because of the short attention span of most US citizens* (although it seems to have spread here too, judging by a few programmes shown here).

*P.S .not meant as an insult by the way.

I have another theory, having spent a fair bit of time in US hotels on business.

On the free non-premium channels adverts are long and very frequent.  We get annoyed in the UK when we have adverts that last 2 minutes and happen every 15 minutes.  On some US channels it is more like adverts that last 5 minutes and happen every 10 minutes.

I have watched such programmes while on the gym and one time I wondered how they fit everything in and concluded that they must run it in a 90 minute slot where in the UK it is in a 60 minute slot.  Then one day I reached the end of the programme and all was revealed, it was just a 70 minute slot and the voiceover said “If you want to see the full version of this programme then it is available on demand on our website or by using our app”.

Of course it may be different on the US premium subscription services.

So I have two theories both based on the programme is made firstly for the USA

1) the repeated bits we see are just padding to make up for the extra transmission time we have in the UK because we have less time allocated to adverts

2) the advert gaps in the programme in the US are longer and more frequent so the recap makes more sense

I’m inclined to go with 2) because even watching the ‘reduced’ programme there was plenty of repeated material.

We are very fortunate in the UK.  We complain about adverts in our free to air but they are nothing compared with what I have seen in the US and Australia.  I quickly gave up watching TV while in the US, the constant adverts (which were usually the same ones each advert break) just got too annoying.  It was like watching adverts which were interrupted occasionally by a TV programme.

Cheers,

Nigel