Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

Julien

One of the guys in our club Aaron Spilling has spent a lot of time doing paint conversion charts.

If you follow this link: http://www.paint4models.com

There is a PDF and one that runs in flash (you will need the lastest version of flash)

Please check it out, oh and feel free to make a donation if you like what you see.

Julien

Edited by Julien

• 2 months later...

If no one has checked this out yet then please do so.

Aaron is adding a search function which will make the whole thing a lot more useful.

Julien

Edited by Julien

Guys,

Aaron just put the big update live, please read the following.

Big update this month, search is finally here. Along with another great feature – a filter on FS595.

1. FS595 filter. When enabled, click in the header of the FS filter column and start typing what you’re looking for. For example, if you type 340 you’ll be shown all FS595 numbers that start with 340 (34077/34079/34082 etc) – the list will contract as you type. Very handy if you want to see what’s ‘close’ to what you’re looking for.

2. Search. Enter anything in here to search the currently selected columns. Hence the reason for the ‘select all’ button – this allows you to search everything. The search is not case-sensitive. For example, searching for ‘Hemp’, ‘HEMP’, ‘hemp’, ‘hEmP’ will produce the same results.

3. Don’t forget about column sorting. The default sort is on FS595 – simply click on the header of another column to sort on that one. If you hover over the column you’ll see the number 1 along with an arrow pointing up, click on it to reverse the sort order. For multi-column sorting simply hover over the ‘number’ area in the header of the column and you can click to create a secondary or tertiary sort etc.

Please register if you can. Also if you see something you suspect is wrong please let him know as he is kind of relying on people spotting any errors as the database is pretty large.

If anyone feels like donating a penny or two then I am sure it would be welcome.

Julien

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Aaron has just put another large update together;

The latest updates include:-

· Addition of the Testors Pactra range of paints – over 125 colours now included

· Major update to Testors PollyScale range –over 100 colours now included

· Over 600 RGB approximations added/updated

· Full screen compatible – hit the toggle full-screen button to use maximum desktop area – this does not allow searching but maximises viewable data.

· Or use Internet Explorer’s or Firefox’s full screen option (F11 or View/Full screen) to see nearly as much data but allows searching

· Better display management – no longer is the vertical scroll bar disappearing off the right hand side of the screen. The chart is locked to the display size with a horizontal scroll bar appearing as needed while keeping all the selection panels in-view – even with re-sizing

· PDF version is now a whopping 224 pages and is only available as a 2.2MB Zip file. This has grown considerably due to the increase in RGB approximations

Julien

• 8 months later...

Just to let eveyone know Aaron has done a big update for 2010

Just to let you all know that The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart has been updated for 2010.

The latest updates include:-

· Major update to Revell range –over 100 colours now updated

· Over 200 RGB approximations added/updated

· PDF version is a whopping 224 pages and is only available as a 2.2MB Zip file. This has grown considerably due to the increase in RGB approximations

· Coding updates for faster searching, tidying up

Don’t forget that when searching for colours/colors, due to UK/US spelling differences, you may want to search for ‘grey’ or ‘gray’, ‘aluminium’ or ‘aluminum’ etc.

If there are other ranges you want to see in the chart please let me know.

Website visits are now over 500 unique visitors/day – will need to look for another host soon, please consider a donation if you find this site useful – even a $dollar will help!

Julien

• 1 month later...

probably a very stupid question but.....

why are there several different options for some of the colours?

for example BS381c:638 Dark Sea Grey gives you 992, 905 and 836 in the vallejo range all of which are different shades

i could just be missing something so i thought i'd ask the question here

cheers

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
probably a very stupid question but.....

why are there several different options for some of the colours?

for example BS381c:638 Dark Sea Grey gives you 992, 905 and 836 in the vallejo range all of which are different shades

i could just be missing something so i thought i'd ask the question here

cheers

Rich

Honest answer, I dont know, could you please contact the author direct he will no doubt give you an explanation.

Julien

• 3 months later...

I wanted to convert tamiya XF5 flat green with revell acrylic, it said: leaf green. i bought it and its totally off. too dark for an interior green shade!

I cant understand why you get the same colour in TWO shades? example: there are two XF5's, both in different green shades/RGB.

and which is the correct one?

Why are there FIVE revell lufthansa blues?? :S

Edited by AdriaN (MLT)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

as I said still very much a work in progress Adrian.

Any questions / observations pls direct to the author he's a nice guy and always looking for feedback.

Julien

• 5 months later...

Just been using this to convert the BS# and FS# into Vallejo Model Air - It works a blooming treat! Takes a little while to get the format sussed out (I didn't realise the BS numbers were on the right hand side, and that there were 7 pages on each group of colours) but once you do, then it is superb. :smartass:

Hats off to the author. A very useful tool. :clap:

:cheers:

• 1 year later...

I have found a great place to find not only the color you are looking for, but also who makes it along with their name for it.

Includes the following manufacturers:

Humbrol

Model Master

Revell

Pantone

Tamiya

Testors

RAL

Federal Standard

Vallejo

http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

Just tried getting on the Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart - web page has been suspended - automatically takes you to a page as follows - http://www.paint4models.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

Message underneath saying "PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON - If you are the owner of this website, please contact technical support as soon as possible"

Anyone any ideas as to what has happened to the site?

I've usually come across this when the site has been closed down either by the site owners or the hosting provider.

(GaryK - tried using that site before and all i get is very confused!!!!!!!)

Edited by treker_ed

Just tried getting on the Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart - web page has been suspended - automatically takes you to a page as follows - http://www.paint4models.com/cgi-sys/suspendedpage.cgi

Message underneath saying "PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON - If you are the owner of this website, please contact technical support as soon as possible"

Anyone any ideas as to what has happened to the site?

I've usually come across this when the site has been closed down either by the site owners or the hosting provider.

(GaryK - tried using that site before and all i get is very confused!!!!!!!)

Sounds like he needs to renew the domain name registration.

Cheers,

Bill

You'll all be glad to know that the site is back up, but............................

"Paint4Models.com is currently down for maintenance - changing hosts who didn't bother sending renewal reminders. We'll be down for a couple of days while we get this sorted, please bear with us."

So obviously the problem was with the original hosts.

Thank the lord we haven't lost this site completely!!!!!!!!!

Edited by treker_ed

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...