What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

On 12/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for that Vince. Being half Scots, it brought a tear to my eyes.

John. 

Thanks John,Sky Arts was recently added to Freesats list of channels,i've missed his concerts since i gave up sky and i'm glad they're back...

Merry Christmas BM'ers...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

The only thing I like about Christmas..

Which I'd never ever even heard of..... one time, as I'm not a bog fan of xmas, and used to be considerably less tolerant, one day in Hove charity shop in summer in the 90's, with vast array of vinyl tat at 10p a go,  turning a double negative into a positive, I bough an instant collection of terrible Xmas Lps...  Julie Andrews, Don Estelle, Jim reeves, Des O'Connor, St Winfireds School choir, Tijuana Christmas...the jewel is the Pinky and Perky Xmas LP.....

I used to drag them out to scare people.  

Here's one that might make you chuckle,....briefly anyhow, note date of release...

MATT BLACK & THE DOODLEBUGS - Punky xmas (1976)

"Crappy but timely cash-in on the Bill Grundy affair recorded by session musicians. The vocalist sounds like Arthur Mullard and this record really plods. It makes you smile, though."

https://punkygibbon.co.uk/bands/m/mattblack.html

I have no idea if this is matt Black in the vid, dates from 2007, seems possible.....

What I have been playing is Rhys Chatham guitar trio..... the live 3CD

if this means nothing,  this story greatly amuses me, and may interest you as guitar chap...

the below is from https://www.tableoftheelements.org/archive-blog/2019/3/17/guitar-trio-is-my-life

Chatham was born in 1952 in Manhattan. A prodigy, he began playing the harpsichord at age 6; by his teens he was studying composition, first with electronic composer Morton Subotnic; then with minimalist La Monte Young. He was also to come into the elliptical orbit of the polymathic trickster, Tony Conrad. 

Plenty has been written about the rift between the latter two, former collaborators whose subsequent aesthetic and philosophical paths would take them in directions of polar opposition. Young sought to establish a kingdom of aural and mathematical perfection; while Conrad, the creator of a highly precise performance idiom of his own, was tolerant of error, at ease with noise and grit, and enamored of mind-crushingly high volume. He also possessed an arch, mischievous sense of humor. Count Conrad as one influence on “Guitar Trio.”

(note, John Cale, pre Velvet Underground, was also in the La Monte Young Dream Syndicate with Tony Conrad) 

During this period, Chatham’s greatest influence may have been his day job—and vice versa. In 1971, at the age of 19, he became the first music director at The Kitchen, in Greenwich Village. Originally intended as a space for the installation of video art, its curatorial mission soon expanded to include various other media, including live music. Under Chatham’s direction, The Kitchen became the great sound incubator in 1970s New York, and the list of musicians, artists and performance artists who got their start there is vast. Laurie Anderson, Cindy Sherman, Eric Bogosian, Philip Glass, Peter Greenaway and Brian Eno all passed through its doors; many of them at Rhys’s invite; all of them under the influence of his tenure. Ironically (or shrewdly), he was largely responsible for creating the scene that would soon be rapturously embracing his own work.

Then it happened. The epiphany arrived in a black leather jacket. As Chatham recalls, “Prior to 1975 I was a minimalist composer. I did concerts lasting three hours, sometimes playing one single pitch or chord on voice or through electronic means.” But he had never been to a rock concert. Ever. So, on a breezy May evening in 1976, his buddy Peter Gordon, also a composer, decided it was high time that his pal lose his aural virginity. Gordon grabbed Rhys, and together they went to the most notorious sonic brothel that ever has been, or ever will be. Chatham walked beneath the awning and through the door at 315 Bowery towards his date with destiny—and what a hot date it was. He was at CBGB, and he was about to see the Ramones.

Tommy, Johnny, Joey, Dee Dee. It was the original line-up, the first record was about to come out, and they were tight. Chatham states, “What I heard at that Ramones concert changed my life. Those guys were playing three chords, which was two more chords than I was playing, but I felt a resonance with what they were doing; they struck a deep chord in my minimalist heart.” He acquired a Fender Stratocaster the next day.

It took a year to sufficiently master the guitar and completely articulate his ideas, but a year later Chatham, the minimalist turned punk rocker, hit the stage for his first show. His music was an amalgamation: intricate and visceral; rowdy and contemplative; aggressive yet also, with its emphasis on harmonics, strangely wondrous and inspiring. Even more bizarre, it was vaguely danceable. It made him an instant hit in the downtown scene. While CBGB hosted the first tier of punk/new wave bands, such as the Ramones, Blondie, Television, and the Talking Heads, Rhys would lead another, more experimental gang of artists that included Lydia Lunch, Mars, Liquid Liquid, and DNA. They called this art/rock “No Wave,” and even Eno took note. At the forefront was the remarkable “Guitar Trio.”

this is the original release...

I also highly rate the track Die Donnergotter. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 4:03 PM, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for that Vince. Being half Scots, it brought a tear to my eyes.

John. 

Hearing the bagpipes brings a tear to many peoples eyes.............

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Hearing the bagpipes brings a tear to many peoples eyes.............

7 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

...but not necessarily for the same reasons!

I don't care what people say, IMO there is nothing more stirring than the massed pipes and drums playing Scotland the Brave.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's not too late for this one. And if it doesn't 'grab' you, you may be beyond hope. A truly beautiful piece of music.

I think that the face of the lady in the audience, and the little girl, says it all. Nice one Pete.

John.

• Like 2

On 12/29/2020 at 8:36 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

It's not too late for this one. And if it doesn't 'grab' you, you may be beyond hope. A truly beautiful piece of music.

If anybody wants to watch them there's two New Years Eve concerts on Sky Arts tonight starting at quarter past 7...One in Hanover and the second in Vienna...

Happy New Year BM'ers....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ratch said:

Round The Horne - Series 3

Wonderfully non PC (even then, yet the stuffed shirts at the BBC didn't realise it) and all the funnier because of that.

I watched a Kenneth Williams documentary just yesterday.

• Like 3