What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

11 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

A bit of overkill, I know, but I have this album on vinyl, tape and CD as well as the complete concert on DVD. Plus I've been to see it twice. You could say that I'm a fan.

John.

There's a DVD of the "WOTW"? That I did not know. I just checked on Amazon; it is available; but, is a PAL system disc and won't play on NTSC players here in the USA. Also the asking price is around $78.00USD. i can wait.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 11:13 AM, Bullbasket said:

I've always been a fan of S&G, and I particularly like The Sounds of Silence, but that version is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for putting it up there Vince.

John.

I'm not sure if you'll like it John but i've just found this,absolutely beautiful...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Vince1159 said:

I'm not sure if you'll like it John but i've just found this,absolutely beautiful...

Nice one Vince. That is, as you say, beautiful. I like the sound of the harp, and coupled with S&Gs song, it's stunning. It's hard to imagine a version of Sounds of Silence sounding bad.....unless of course, someone tried to do a (c)rap version.

John.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 16:46, Hook said:

Rolling Stones, The London Years singles collection.

Cheers,

Andre

If it's this set

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rolling-Stones-Singles-Collection-London/dp/B000024IHT/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3L465C5OBLBLF&dchild=1&keywords=rolling+stones+singles+collection+the+london+years+cd&qid=1598723180&s=music&sprefix=London+years+%2Caps%2C241&sr=1-1

I've got it too!

Absolutely great set of tracks by the Stones, for me from their best period, and probably heresy to a Stones fan, their albums (with exception of Let it Bleed) don't do anything for me.

But my goodness, what wonderful singles they made!

On 27/08/2020 at 10:55, Vince1159 said:

The whole album is superb.

I’m currently listening to The Fixx, all albums in rotation.

I’m a Led Zeppelin fan but enjoy clever music from any time . . .

Nick

• Like 1

Going back to S&G, one of my all time favourites is Bookends and in particular America with that guitar refrain, I first heard it shortly after it was released and was immediately hooked, so I’ll be playing it this afternoon in the man-cave.

John

• Like 2

Moody Blues - Question.  I first heard it when on a fan club tour of the Williams F1 factory in February 1985. It was being played over the factory PA system.

Phil

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Going back to S&G, one of my all time favourites is Bookends and in particular America with that guitar refrain.

Nice one John. I learned America with my primary school choir. Loved that track ever since. 30 years later I got to count the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike when I first met my wife!

Phil

• Like 1

On 8/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, Whofan said:

If it's this set I've got it too!

Yes, that's the one!

On 8/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, Whofan said:

Absolutely great set of tracks by the Stones, for me from their best period, and probably heresy to a Stones fan, their albums (with exception of Let it Bleed) don't do anything for me.

But my goodness, what wonderful singles they made!

No offence taken of course, to each his own and all that. The singles are all classics, but there are a lot of album-only tracks I wouldn't want to be without.

You're not wrong about Let It Bleed, though! - one of their very best.

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Yes, that's the one!

No offence taken of course, to each his own and all that. The singles are all classics, but there are a lot of album-only tracks I wouldn't want to be without.

You're not wrong about Let It Bleed, though! - one of their very best.

Cheers,

Andre

I think the album tracks I like are from the early period, though things like start me up, mixed emotions and undercover of the night from the later albums are pretty good.

As you say, each to their own, but you can’t ignore the Stones because they influenced so much about the music I love.

And the Stones’ original Under my thumb is way better than the Who’s cover version!

On 8/27/2020 at 11:07 AM, Bullbasket said:

Nice one Vince. That is, as you say, beautiful. I like the sound of the harp, and coupled with S&Gs song, it's stunning.

Someone said in the comments ""Imagine walking through the woods and hearing that",i was hoping to find the same person playing this but no luck...

• Like 2

For the Clash fans amongst  you...

If you're not a Clash fan, what is wrong with you?

The abridged versions for those that don't have the patience to sit through almost two hours of such luminaries as Bruce Springsteen, Joe Ely and Lucinda Williams demonstrating why Joe Strummer is much missed, enjoy these...

Listen to the words of this one, the single was released in 1978, it's just as relevant now as it was then!

This is a sublime cover, sing along with all the vehemence and anger you can muster!

• Like 2