What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

@Vince1159.

I have a vivid and strong memory of listening to the Wink Martindale original of this in something like 1959 or 1960 one Sunday lunchtime, on 2 way family favourites - I can even remember I was shelling broad beans !

Thanks for bringing back that memory.

• Like 1

Jeff Wayne's "Musical version of 'The war of the Worlds' " on CD. I do have the vinyl buried somewhere. I bought the CDs some years ago. And, I bought the records when it was released back in 1978 or so when it hit the stores. Still great to listen to and experience "The Theater of the Mind". And, yes, I have Mr. Wayne's "New Generation" CD of the story.

• Like 3

I also bought the record and transferred it to tape to play in the car, which I did a lot. One day I was going to collect some re-furbished aircraft instruments ( I had a share in a Piper Cub at the time ) from someone in Woking when I realised that I was driving past Horsell Common with WOTW playing in the background.Spooky!

John

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

Jeff Wayne's "Musical version of 'The war of the Worlds' " on CD. I do have the vinyl buried somewhere. I bought the CDs some years ago. And, I bought the records when it was released back in 1978 or so when it hit the stores. Still great to listen to and experience "The Theater of the Mind". And, yes, I have Mr. Wayne's "New Generation" CD of the story.

A bit of overkill, I know, but I have this album on vinyl, tape and CD as well as the complete concert on DVD. Plus I've been to see it twice. You could say that I'm a fan.

John.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, JPuente54 said:

I too have the album on vinyl, but can't afford to replace it with a new set as it cost me $13 years ago and is now $65 at my local shop.

10 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Unfortunately I never got to see the concert.

It's spectacular! The first time I saw it, the artillery man was played by someone from one of the 70s groups (can't think of his name, but he may have been in Thin Lizzy). The second time, at the O2, the artillery man was played by Jason Donovan. It had been completely revamped. It even included a video of "Martians" enviously eyeing Earth. But the best part for me was that in both performances, Justin Hayward came on to sing "Forever Autumn". Brilliant. I'd go and see it again.

John. 

• Like 2