What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

THe Who Sell Out - Mono and Stereo versions on CD's 1 and 2 of the new Super de luxe box set, with bonus tracks. 3 more CD's to listen to!

• Like 4

Supernormal. Tangerine Dream The Australian Concerts 2014 ...

© '2015....

I like the 3rd disc in this as has a remastered version of Sorcerer, performed during the Movember in November '14. 

Edited by Mick4350
  • Like 1

PXR5 and Quark, Strangeness And Charm by Hawkwind. Now, Hawkwind often get dismissed as "prog" by many, but these two albums were from the mid-late 70s, so were in their New Wave phase. Kinda ironic in some ways, as Hawkwind were one of John Lydon's favourite bands and I think it's now taken as read that he modelled himself somewhat on Bob Calvert. And the early-mid 70s albums had far more in common with the Krautrock bands of the time, Faust in particular. I still maintain that the Space Ritual tour (and live albums) was prototypical rave music. Despite being a Post-Punker at heart, my Time Machine Gig would have been Hawkwind on the Space Ritual tour.

I've seen a couple of interviews where Dave Brock (guitar/vocals/keys and the only person to have remained in the band all along) and Lemmy both stated that the instinctive interaction they had on stage was unique and that's apparent on the Space Ritual LP. What's astounding is that Lemmy had only been playing bass for around a year by this stage. By his own admission a mediocre rhythm guitarist, the first time he played a bass was at his first Hawkwind gig. I'm not sure any other person has so quickly made an instrument their own. And for the record, I'd like to state that while I might not sound like him, Lemmy was a huge influence on me as a bass player and it's no coincidence that my go-to is a Rickenbacker.

I discovered Hawkwind quite by accident. At the time I would have been fourteen or fifteen and very much into darker, doomier stuff such as Black Sabbath. A friend had borrowed a cassette of Sabbath's Technical Ecstacy from the local library, but someone had mixed up the cassettes and inside was Hawkwind's Masters Of The Universe compilation. I had never heard anything like it! I was transfixed by the first listen, the otherworldly sounds having a profound effect. I think my fascination with sound creation and the recording process can all be traced back to this point. I also learnt that there can be beauty found in strangeness. Almost all the music I love these days inhabits its own world, tends to be deeply layered, if not musically complex and is, to use a deeply unfashionable word, psychedelic in its original meaning. And I include an awful lot of post-punk/new wave in that.

Sadly, the band ended up becoming a second-rate heavy metal act, but I still dig out the first nine albums from time to time.

Audio Box - The Who.

A collection on 8 CD's of  8 concerts broadcast on radio over the years. first concert being one recorded from Paris in 1970, which I've never heard before.

The legitimacy of these is  ... hmmmm, let's say in doubt. I don't see anything in the packaging or discs to suggest 100% legitimacy.

You know, like licenced from *** Radio Station/The Who.

Still, enjoying listening to a concert playeda few weeks before the (Live at Leed) show, and 2 months before the first time I saw the Who live.

• Like 2