What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

Spent the Easter weekend listening to the Classic FM Hall Of Fame top 300 pieces of classical music. Not just traditional classical music, but also includes film music, and games music as well.

• Like 2

Mezzanine by Massive Attack. An absolute masterpiece, in my not-so-humble opinion.

As an aside, the percussion that leads the opening track, Angel: I absolutely love the "unreverb" on it. It's so dry, it sounds like it's coming out from between your eyes on a decent stereo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, One 48 said:

Fair favourite of mine

Now you're talking. He's my go to singer when I'm in the car (on my own), so that I can sing along. I have most of his albums, but sadly, I think that he lost his way with the last releases.

John.

• Like 1

Following on from something in the Guardian today, I''ve just listened to My Friend Jack, the Boney M cover of the Smoke original, and this;

Only I'm listening to the extended 12" version.

Of course, you might want to compare to the Iron Butterfly original;

• Like 3

@Ratch, you’ve extended my listening session!

This has always been my favourite Smiths track, after hearing it many times as the theme song for the tv series Charmed.

• Like 1

Not sure if it's still the case but a few years ago there was a site where you get rips of the NME compilation tapes.  Listening to one of them: NME019, All Africa Radio.  African artists such as Ladysmith Black Mazembe, Thomas Mapfumo, Toure Kunda, Fela Kuti, Super Rail Band, Somo Somo, King Sunny Ade.

• Like 1

Doobie Brothers in good old ‘70s stereo. Went out in the car this morning alone and played ‘ Listen to the music ‘ as it should be heard because there was no one to complain about the volume. Listening to music on an iPod most of the time, you come to accept the ‘ flat sound ‘ until it’s played on something decent.

John

• Like 2