What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

New to building kits, but I love listening to classical while I am working, love bach( who ever he is.)😉

So my question is, 

Whats your favourite tunes to build or paint to?

Oh! By the way this is the only time I listen to this stuff, so any recondemations.😁

• Like 1

On 1/24/2021 at 7:31 AM, Vince1159 said:

Put some on the 'What Music are you Playing' thread....

Here's one. And at about the 18 minute mark all the Brits of a certain age will think of brown bread. BTW, IIRC he was commissioned to write this for the USA.

Dvořák: The Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"             Sorry about the boring tube adverts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_tPb4JFgmw&list=RDO_tPb4JFgmw&start_radio=1

And, a bit of Wagner which I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRmCEGHt-Qk

• Like 1

Ylvis.

Norwegian brothers Vegard and Bård Ylvisåker, best known internationally for their YouTube hit What Does The Fox Say a few years back, but this is far from their strongest work. They're hugely talented musically and comedically. Some of their best work includes:

- Stonehenge, a man's contemplation of his obsession with the mysterious monument.

- The Cabin, a celebration of Norwegian families' liking for a backwoods retreat.

- Jan Egeland, a paean to the eponymous Norwegian diplomat.

I'm Sober, from the Stories from Norway series. Cross-country skiing start Petter Northug is arrested for drink-driving, and his perception of events is quite different to that of the arresting officers.

- Stories from Norway episode 2, Superstar in Norway, which recounts the story of Justin Bieber's visit to Norway and the hysteria that surrounded it.

- Engine for Gabriel, in which the boys try to raise funds for an engine ("a Rotax 914 or similar") for a would-be aviator in Africa.

I love this stuff.

Drab Majesty- The Demonstration. An interesting mix of eighties, Anglocentric, Post Punk and Electronica from the US. For some reason, I find that when American bands attempt this kind of thing (or Shoegaze/Dreampop in particular) it usually comes across as terribly contrived, but I think that Drab Majesty largely succeed in pulling it off.

Little story behind this one. I like it when I find something new in unexpected places. There I was watching Youtube a few weeks ago when it started playing an old ITV schools program from 1985, "Going to Work". This particular episode featured going self employed, and one of the items within the program covered starting your own band. It featured a band called Anabas who were doing the club and pub circuit in Leeds at the time, and the program interviewed them about gigging and aspirations. Seemed ok to me and piqued my interest. Did they get anywhere? A quick Google afterwards revealed only two singles released, the first one by a small label set up in Leeds in 1983 by the former Sisters of Mercy guitarist Ben Gunn.

I quite liked it, so off to Discogs to see if I could find a copy. Well, there were a couple available, but not cheap. Stuff it I thought. I like my obscure alternative stuff so duly bought a copy. Then I find the single is on Youtube, gave it a listen whilst waiting for my vinyl copy to turn up, and dropped a comment below as you do. Ten minutes later, I get a reply from someone who says "the singer and bassist are my Mum and Dad". Have a quick exchange and enquire if any other material was recorded and say it was a shame an album didn't materialise as I think they had promise. Mum and Dad are duly told and are pleasantly surprised they had another fan after all these years. Funny how things snowball sometimes.

On 10/01/2021 at 20:24, JPuente54 said:

Last Sunday I listened to "Ocean Rain" by Echo and the Bunnymen. I have now decided to an all "APP(Alan Parsons Project, and his separate CDs)" playlist on my CD player. It has 6 slots for CDs, so, I am starting with the "tales of Mystery and Imagination" Deluxe Edition with 2 discs. These are all CDs with the bonus tracks; so, a lot of extra music. "I Robot" is next.

I think you need more Echo and the Bunnymen and less Alan Parsons personally...   :bleh:

Me and my wonderful daughter (AKA the Wezlette even though she's 24 now), were talking (via Whatsapp), about the origins of Goth, many people maintain the Ozzy Osbourne is the originator of Goth, this is utter nonsense as he was dabbling with big haired poodle pop when Goth was born, the true originators are here, first from 1979...

then from about 1980...

...and the Cure, also from around the same time and before Robert Smith was in the Banshees...

...finally, long before Ozzy got Gothic, this is the original version...

• Like 4