What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

On 9/5/2020 at 12:05 AM, JosephLalor said:

Part of a Fourth Drawer Down playlist

Funny I listened to this classic a couple of weeks ago.

Fantastically wierd track & I like Billys vocodered high notes.

One of the keyboardists in this is the gorgeous Martha Ladly from Martha & The Muffins who's also backing singer on Roxy Music's Avalon.

• Like 3

A mate of mine shared this with me the other day. Said he purchased Martha & The Muffins Echo Beach single from a record shop called "The Record Shop" in 1980 in Sudbury Suffolk.

This was the B-Side which I think is rather catchy!

Only discovered Wolf Alice a few weeks ago. The lad in HMV Norwich was playing the album, I thought it was good enough to part money with on the spot.

Very rarely that happens with me! From the stunning Visions Of A Life album.

• Like 1

Back to the hard electronics.

The legend that is Wolfgang Flur collaborated on this album with U96 - the chaps who did that rave cover version of Das Boot many years ago.

This just sounds like a theme tune to our technological world gone wrong which in a way has & is still going wrong on all levels, which the album is really all about.

Who isn't a big fan of Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush & Phil Collins?

Never mind if your not!

Every time I put this on I have to put my wrist sweat bands on, get my air drums out & hammer my invisible drum kit to this. It really has to be pushed to 11 to get the full effect!

In my humble opinion this was Phil Collins best drummng put onto a record, also the sessions for this track usherd in an era of Phil Collins 80's "gated drum sound" accidentally when the mixing desk studio microphone picked up a feedback from Phils drum track.

All while our lovely Kate Bush is fed through one of the first Fairlight samplers in the country.

• Like 1

Back to an oriental electropop history lesson.

I do like to look for early well cafted electronic music & this comes from one musically talented genious & a very talented but strangely pretentious chap who inspired Lady Diana's hair do. I was surprised to find that this climbed to 30 in the UK charts. Not bad for an obscure sounding electropop track from 1982.

Just one last one from me.

This is reputedly the very first time a Roland 808 drum machine was used in a recording. 

From the band regarded in Japan as the Japanese Beatles. Quite possibly as influential on modern music alongside the likes of Kraftwerk.

And I just had to include this talented chap performing a very well played cover of the above!

Can you tell I love synths!

2 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Wow, I almost thought that was Aphex Twin playing Donkey Rhubarb for a moment there!

I was at the infamous Aphex Twin gig at the Clink Prison. During Donkey Rhubarb one of the bears from the video waded into the crowd, grappling with anyone within reach. There were lots of confused looking faces in the audience, no doubt caused by the er, pharmaceuticals partaken on the evening. Having already seen the video and being one of the few there that wasn't off their faces, it was hilarious watching all those "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" glances exchanged between them.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

I was at the infamous Aphex Twin gig at the Clink Prison. During Donkey Rhubarb one of the bears from the video waded into the crowd, grappling with anyone within reach. There were lots of confused looking faces in the audience, no doubt caused by the er, pharmaceuticals partaken on the evening. Having already seen the video and being one of the few there that wasn't off their faces, it was hilarious watching all those "are you seeing what I'm seeing?" glances exchanged between them.

Wasn't that also the infamous gig where he debuted his "Technics stylus on sandpaper" mixing skills? I have seen the Aphex cuddle bears but thankfully they were confined to the stage when I saw him. He was crouched down on a rug on the floor twiddling his home made electronic gubbins & it was a wonder how they never crashed into him!

12 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Funny I listened to this classic a couple of weeks ago.

Fantastically wierd track & I like Billys vocodered high notes.

One of the keyboardists in this is the gorgeous Martha Ladly from Martha & The Muffins who's also backing singer on Roxy Music's Avalon.

She contributed to the Sulk LP as well I recall, and is now a professor at Ontario College of Art and Design.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

She contributed to the Sulk LP as well I recall, and is now a professor at Ontario College of Art and Design.

Yep, a beauty with brains! I must try out The Associates early work. Ian Rankin was a very clever chap as well.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

They don't make them like that anymore. Brilliant Vince.

John.

I put a clip from 'The Doors' on my thread classic clips from tv and film and Val Kilmer playing the part of Jim Morrison was uncanny,he even did all his own live singing...

Edited by Vince1159
  • Like 1

One for the extreme metalheads.

I miss going to gigs, one of the highlights of last year was seeing Polish black metal band MGLA (means fog) play in Manchester, a very tight and focused performance from a band who wear masks onstage and don't bother with song titles;

• Like 1