What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

Mike Oldfield's "Tubular Bells", the 2009 stereo mix. This one comes with Viv Stanshall's commentary of the building where the music was played and recorded. I have read about this bit by Mr. Stanshall in several places. It was nice to finally hear it.

"Oxygene" by Jean Michel Jarre, I have it on vinyl(and "Tubular Bells); but, haven't heard it in years.

And, yes, I am aware that Mr. Oldfield has several versions of "Tubular Bells".

• Like 3

More music to study to, I've created a Spotify playlist of female singers, these three came up (though not specifically this version in the case of the Coteau's number) ...

• Like 2

On 5/18/2020 at 7:39 PM, Wez said:

40 years ago today the lead singer of this band ended his life after struggling with mental illness, he was two months short of his 24th birthday.

He left behind some brilliant songs which have been part of the soundtrack to my life.  The remaining band members went on to form one of the greatest bands of the eighties and nineties...

You've reminded me of another Joy Division single from a bit earlier.  I was walking along Astor Place in New York one evening back in 2007 when I heard what sounded like someone shouting.  Mystified, I looked towards the street and saw a young black guy going by on a skateboard.  Enlightenment dawned when I heard him go, 'And then we can daaance.'

Splendid B side in 'Novelty' as well.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 2

Suzanne Vega 'Songs in Red and Gray', Evelyn Glennie 'Rhythm Song' and 'Michi' and a compilation CD 'Forgotten Hits of the 70's' that amongst it little gems has this, with one of the funniest videos of many from the period 

• Like 1