What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

40 years ago today the lead singer of this band ended his life after struggling with mental illness, he was two months short of his 24th birthday.

He left behind some brilliant songs which have been part of the soundtrack to my life.  The remaining band members went on to form one of the greatest bands of the eighties and nineties...

Edited by Wez
spelling, grammar and frankly, because the English language deserves better!
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Wez said:

40 years ago toady the lead singer of this band ended his life after struggling with mental illness, he was two months short of his 24th birthday.

He left behind some brilliant songs which have been part of the soundtrack to my life.  The remaining band members went on to form one of the greatest bands of the eighties and nineties...

Love will tear us apart is in my top 5 singles of all time.

it won't ever move out of that. Absolutely magnificent song.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Whofan said:

Love will tear us apart is in my top 5 singles of all time.

it won't ever move out of that. Absolutely magnificent song.

It's been my number one since 1980, I still find it visceral, it still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end every time I hear the opening chords.

• Like 3

I finally got around to buying & downloading a song from Amazon. Still not quite sure what it is about this one. It's not really my style, but I liked it from day one.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wez said:

It's been my number one since 1980, I still find it visceral, it still makes the hairs on my neck stand on end every time I hear the opening chords.

My all time top five singles are River Deep Mountain High, Substitute, Love will tear us apart, All along the watchtower (Hendrix) and Pretty Vacant. I don't put them in an order as I'd robably lose the will to live making my mind up.

But then while I write this I am minded that Lose Yourself by Eminem is one of the best singles I’ve heard for a long time, and could make a claim on one of these places. As is Puff Daddy’s version of Kashmir. In fact, if Led Zeppelin had released Kashmir as a single, I think it would be an immovable feature in my top 5.

Oh, Kylie's Can't get you out of my head - I'll stop now.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's not really my style, but I liked it from day one.

You might like this one of theirs too...

9 hours ago, Whofan said:

My all time top five singles are River Deep Mountain High, Substitute, Love will tear us apart, All along the watchtower (Hendrix) and Pretty Vacant. I don't put them in an order as I'd robably lose the will to live making my mind up.

But then while I write this I am minded that Lose Yourself by Eminem is one of the best singles I’ve heard for a long time, and could make a claim on one of these places. As is Puff Daddy’s version of Kashmir. In fact, if Led Zeppelin had released Kashmir as a single, I think it would be an immovable feature in my top 5.

Oh, Kylie's Can't get you out of my head - I'll stop now.

I've never understood how people stop listening to new music, there's some truly fabulous stuff out there, my top five is constantly in flux and spans the generations, it includes the aforementioned Pretty Vacant (the record I maintain got me into music), I too like Hendrix and some of the Who but Led Zep just passed me by (I'm just the wrong age and had no older siblings to influence me).  Don't get me wrong, I like some of their stuff but I wouldn't class myself as a fan.

Kylie's Can't get you out of my head is in the top ten and of all Eminem's stuff, Lose Yourself is probably the one I like the most because of the way it builds and builds.

Currently loving BC Camplight's "Shortly after take off", Becca Mancari's "Hunter" and Fontaines DC's "Hero's Death".

I love music, I'm 55 but I'm as in love with music as I was when I was 15!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Wez said:

I've never understood how people stop listening to new music, there's some truly fabulous stuff out there,

Absolutely! My nightmare is to be in a care home with a soundtrack of music from the 80's playing in the lounge. I am genuinely going to have something to prevent that written into an advanced care plan.

However I missed out on a huge amount of music from the 90's and the "naughties" when my record collection and taste got stuck in aspic. The revelation was someone in the village asking me to sign a petition to prevent radio 6 music closing and recommending I might listen to Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie when they were on in the afternoons. I found a radio station that felt like the spiritual home of the late John Peel. Listening to that show together with Gideon Coe, Tom Robinson, Mark Riley and that Mr Ravenscroft Junior introduced me to a whole world of music just as good as I listened to as a young person.

Spotify is really important in that you can listen to anything with no financial risk and I can honestly say, as someone who works from home even before covid19 , I am listening to more, and better music than I've ever listened to in my life.   

I'm 53 and there is nothing more annoying for your kids than for them to tell you that they've just seen this great band at a festival and you can talk authoritatively about some of their stuff! And yes I've just discovered BC Camplight too !

Edited by Pigpen
Age related forgetfulness....
  • Like 1

I decided to listen to a band that one of my American friends is really into: Drab Majesty. Having heard a few songs on their Spotify page, I'm quite impressed and I really liked this one:

There are plenty of great bands around these days. It can be harder trying to find them, as there can be a lot to wade through. I find that a good place to start is the Bella Union roster. The owner, Simon Raymonde, seems to know what he's doing and there are some great bands on the label. He was also the bass player in my favourite band of all time!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Pigpen said:

Absolutely! My nightmare is to be in a care home with a soundtrack of music from the 80's playing in the lounge. I am genuinely going to have something to prevent that written into an advanced care plan.

Likewise!  Hideous thought.  I've made it known that when my coffin starts making its final journey down the conveyor to the incinerator it's to be to Blur's Song2.

20 hours ago, Pigpen said:

However I missed out on a huge amount of music from the 90's and the "naughties" when my record collection and taste got stuck in aspic. The revelation was someone in the village asking me to sign a petition to prevent radio 6 music closing and recommending I might listen to Mark Radcliffe and Stuart Maconie when they were on in the afternoons. I found a radio station that felt like the spiritual home of the late John Peel. Listening to that show together with Gideon Coe, Tom Robinson, Mark Riley and that Mr Ravenscroft Junior introduced me to a whole world of music just as good as I listened to as a young person.

My  low point was the late eighties and early nineties, I still listened to stuff but a lot of baggy stuff passed me by although I've since gained a appreciation for the Stone Roses.  It was Britpop that rekindled my love of music, Blur, Suede and Pulp in particular.

I love 6Music, it's on in the background whilst I WFH, I enjoy it far more than the station which gets played at work even though that station plays the some of my favourite music, unfortunately, whilst it might not repeat the same song during the day, they have no qualms about playing exactly the same songs the following day, it would be too easy to get stuck in a rut and not hear anything new.  6Music is constantly playing new stuff along with my sort of classic, it has far more texture than the station played at work.

RadMac's shambling presentation is a weekend treat, Lauren Laverne's show is a joy as well as being a friendly and stress free environment.  The channel even gives Iggy Pop a show, I can't wait for the schedule to go back to normal.  I feel that the DJ's are like me, music enthusiasts first and foremost.

21 hours ago, Pigpen said:

Spotify is really important in that you can listen to anything with no financial risk and I can honestly say, as someone who works from home even before covid19 , I am listening to more, and better music than I've ever listened to in my life. 

I love Spotify, my kids got me a half price subscription as a Father's Day present a few years ago, I can honestly say it's one of the best considered presents I've ever been given and my music collection has expanded exponentially thanks to it.  I truly have catholic tastes.

21 hours ago, Pigpen said:

I'm 53 and there is nothing more annoying for your kids than for them to tell you that they've just seen this great band at a festival and you can talk authoritatively about some of their stuff!

Yep, me too, the kids have given out trying to outdo me on that front.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:23 AM, Uncle Uncool said:

Nay a good day for me today, everyone. I've got my hemlock and this tune before turning in.

Fine choice Sir! An album I still listen to regularly. Liked Floodland too, but was never quite so keen on Vision Thing as I think Mr Eldritch went all Bon Jovi on that album.

Edited by fightersweep

17 hours ago, Wez said:

I love Spotify, my kids got me a half price subscription as a Father's Day present a few years ago, I can honestly say it's one of the best considered presents I've ever been given and my music collection has expanded exponentially thanks to it.  I truly have catholic tastes.

I've had the same experience on Youtube. It's peculiar little algorithms have led me to some fantastic stuff that has cost me dearly in new purchases. It got me into the whole Russian post punk scene currently rocking the clubs of Moscow, discover new labels such as Detriti Records in Berlin and even struggling home based artists in places such as Thailand and Columbia. It's fantastic and it's also led to making a fair few new acquaintances, such as said artist in Thailand. So pleased he was that I bought his CD, he sent me his entire back catalogue on cassette, and his friend's back catalogue too! There's a lot of great stuff out there waiting to be discovered.

Mind you, I'm also discovering a lot of stuff I missed in the late 70s and 80s too. So all is good!

Steve 

• Like 1

My recent gardening and walking music

Emotions  Mariah Carey

Erasure  Erasure

Eric Clapton Concert

ESP  Bee Gees

Eurythmics Greatest Hits

Every breath you take The Police

Every bear of my heart  Rod Stewart

Every picture tells a story  Rod Stewart

Everything  The Bangles

Eyes of Innocence  Miami Sound Machine

FLM  Mel and Kim

Face value  Phil Collins

Faith  George Michael

Falling into you  Celine Dion

Fantastic 80s Compilation 1 & 2

Fantastic Wham

Fathers tape no 48

The Eric Clapton Concert was taped off radio.

Live at Albert Hall in I think 1990

Featured Buddy Guy

What a concert, absolutely brilliant

• Like 1

Love the Sisters, Joy Division, etc, all parts from my dyed black haired youth in the 80s which I still have a soft spot for.

And Leftfield's Original with the heavenly Toni Halliday from Curve, still one of my favourites. Toni prowling the stage snarling out Fait Accompli is unbeatable.

Been listening to this over the last couple of days and it's growing on me. A little known Norwegian band and this one sounds like The Cure from the early 80s mixed with classic mid 80s New Order. The bit from 2:44 sounds uncannily like if the two bands decided to have a jam in 1985.

• Like 1

On 5/21/2020 at 8:50 AM, fightersweep said:

Fine choice Sir! An album I still listen to regularly. Liked Floodland too, but was never quite so keen on Vision Think as I think Mr Eldritch went all Bon Jovi on that album.

Steve!

Thanks a lot, my mate. There's not a single song in that album that I dislike. My ex-sheila would use to listen to Marian (Version) as though it was the only track in that album.

23 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Every bear of my heart  Rod Stewart

:blink2:

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Uncle Uncool said:

Steve!

Thanks a lot, my mate. There's not a single song in that album that I dislike. My ex-sheila would use to listen to Marian (Version) as though it was the only track in that album.

:blink2:

Must confess that it was Marian that prompted me to buy the album back in the day. I have a bootleg vinyl album of Sisters demos that I bought in 1985. It has a demo of Marian, but sung with the lyrics of Garden of Delight. It takes some getting used to, but musically, I prefer it to the album version as it has a more raw sound and a cool guitar riff on the fade out. 

Steve

• Like 1