What music are you playing: Part VI

Uncle Uncool

Normally, the Wonderful Mrs Wez says that being an old punk, I'm too cool for school and don't like enough pop but this was just played on Radio 2's request show and well, Susanna Hoffs...  ...need I say more?

• Like 4

I have been playing classical again: "Days of Future Passed" by The Moody Blues. I have the 2 disc version with the original stereo mix and a 1972 stereo mix. Both have a number of added tracks; and a DVD of "Days etc.." in 5.1 audio. I haven't heard the full CD of the first disc with all the added tracks; but, have heard the "Days" and several of the added tracks. I did check the DVD; it plays in both DTS 5.1 and; you haven't seen this in a long time; AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1. AC(and the numbers) used to be seen on early receivers and stereo catalogues to indicate that they could play multiple tracks(beyond 2). It just meant "Audio Code". You have to look back on old 12 inch video discs to see that printing(or the covers of the discs.). The music still is great and it was a revolution in the "Rock-Pop" era. It was intended to be listened to and not danced. The Beatles came out with "Sergeant Peppers etc.." the same year with the same intention. They were the better known group and got more attention because of it. The Moody Blues took longer to be known; but, "The Afternoon:Forever Afternoon (Tuesday?)" and "The Night": Nights in White Satin are still in a lot of "Classic Rock(as it is called here in the USA)" playlists. And yes, it is still great to listen to.

• Like 4

Moody blues are great, and i have ALL of theirs in my collection, i also have some of the Beatles albums; i'm more into the more progressive side of the Beatles rather than the pop singles which had just about every girl in UK screaming their lungs out for. Sergeant Peppers is a good example of their more progressive side. 

All of my collection is digital and is on my ext HDD, so i have it on my Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPods and i have it ALL backed up as data on numerous DVD-Rs, if i want an album for the car i just burn a CD-r.

• Like 1

@Markh-75, I do too; on both vinyl and CDs. I might have a couple of the most recent on CD only, "December" which was released in the late '90s, early in the 2000s(not sure), is only on a CD in my collection. I never saw it in a store, found and ordered it from Amazon. My sister was a big fan of The Beatles. I do have a great appreciation for their work. They did a lot of work to become the group they were and are.

Unfortunately my iPods have had it now; they're obsolete. They wont sync and wont transfer music so i now also have a redundant Bose sound dock now too. No more music for me at bed time or when i'm out and about so this means my headphones will also be redundant!

On 3/28/2020 at 5:29 PM, Rickoshea52 said:

Everyday really does feel like Sunday at the moment. 

Ah! The Southend on Sea of my late teenage years. I was 19 when the video was made. The record shop in the video is/was Golden Disc, and the girl behind the counter was actually an employee there. She used to save me any rare Sisters of Mercy stuff that came in. That and Parrot Records used to be my go to's in town. Still have all the vinyl I bought there.

Edited by fightersweep
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

@fightersweep we used to have a Parrot Records in Cambridge. My God, I spent so much money in that shop! I was gutted when it closed down. Probably my favourite record shop of all.

Loved Parrot too, and likewise spent way too much money in there, as I usually got suckered in by all the extra pic discs and Ltd editions they stocked. I know I've still got one of their carrier bags somewhere.

49725214056_56a42f2064_z.jpg

• Like 2