Revell (ICM) 1/48 Spitfire Mk. XVIe

Inspired by an all-metal Vampire, I chose to RFI my Spit xvi... I got it from my buddy who, due to moving into a smaller house, had to cut down on his modelling - the cockpit and fuselage as well as the wings were already built. 

spacer.png

As I already own two spits with the usual camouflage scheme, I decided to keep this one in aluminum/high speed silver (or whatever comes close to my work) 

spacer.png

I'm still not sure if I want to put markings on it. 

spacer.png

Little work to detail the prop minus spinner

spacer.png

And, of course, the engine. Nice base per the kit, but nowhere near the real thing.

spacer.png

I definitely won't claim my engine to be very close to reality, but it certainly looks better than oob

spacer.png

spacer.png

Any hints, proposals for markings and critique are welcome of course. 

Edited by Johnny Tip
Typo
  • Like 18

1 hour ago, wellsprop said:

Looks absolutely great in silver, how did you find the kit was to build?

The wings&fuselage looked very good, ailerons as single parts to attach according to the stick's position (I toyed a bit around with it). There were two big problems... #1 the fit of wings and fuselage - had to trim ca 1-2mm off each side for the wings not to bend down REALLY far. #2 the firewall wouldn't go in as planned. More trimming and sanding, I still managed to tilt it so the engine is looking slightly upward. Which of course gave me more "fun" to fit the underside panel... 

Worth mentioning was the installation of the elevators - no problem at all to fit and stay in the right angle - and the landing gear which is sturdy though not glued in place for possible transportation. 

She won't be camouflaged, maybe just some roundels and some small markings, maybe she'll stay like she is now. 

• Like 1

It looks great in this metal finish. 
Should you want to add some decals, there's been several threads here for post-war (1946-1949) XVIs in Germany and the UK - useful for info which type of roundels & markings are appropriate.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

It looks great in this metal finish. 
Should you want to add some decals, there's been several threads here for post-war (1946-1949) XVIs in Germany and the UK - useful for info which type of roundels & markings are appropriate.

Thank you, I will have a look at them. 

12 hours ago, RMCS said:

Lovley 

Thank you! 

12 hours ago, wellsprop said:

Looks absolutely great in silver, how did you find the kit was to build?

Of course, thanks for the compliment, too. 

1 hour ago, F-32 said:

Nicely done, looks really good.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Rick Brown said:

Nicely done on a challenging kit!

Rick.

It sure was, thank you very much Rick! 

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Lovely build, would look great in RAF post war silver finish.

Wulfman

Thanks a lot Wulfman! The look kind of "blindsided" me...and I didn't want to spoil it with any of the ordnance in the kit. 

• 4 months later...

Hello everyone,

I'm back at work - an also back at the modelling table (wherever I deploy my stuff).

After much thinking, I decided to go for the CGS markings. As I didn't have the letters and serials, I finally gave my set of decalpaper a serious try (my selfmade patches for 1/35 Flashpoint-"Team 1" didn't really convince me)

-and Lo! they turned out just fine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just as everything was going so well... the underwing serials turned out to be a bit on the big side.

spacer.png

The Spit can finally settle down, and I have higher hopes now for someday building my PBY with selfmade "Miss Pick-Up" decals. And do some french markings for the Revell's (Eduard's) Nieuport 17 -anyone else noticed Revell do their french planes from WWI always in british markings? I mean... of course, it's Britmodeller here, but still...

Anyways, I'm happy as this Spitfire finally turned out. Goodbye for now,

Johnny

• Like 2

Personal opinion:  Looks much better with markings. Despite the Spit's genuine elegance of design, it somehow lacks something in bare airframe form. For lack of a better way to describe it, it almost looks like a real cast aside airframe that has seen better days and is waiting to see what the future holds. On a more positive note, it looks like a real airplane caught in an advanced stage of restoration but waiting to be finished in glorious final form.

• Like 2