Airfix 1/48 Ju87 B-1 Stuka, Condor Legion

Hi gents,

Steps 4, 5 and 6 are complete. Tinted (lightened with white) base coat applied over bare metal and intentionally over-chipped.

Two things learned here:

1. The base coat should be applied in thin layers over the chipping medium/HS as it tends to crack if too thick a layer has been applied (look at the tail and upper fuselage just behind the canopy), at least with Vallejo paints. Thankfully I have two more coats of camo scheme over this. :)

2. I shouldn't have waited too long after the base coat was applied, as it is a pain in the a$$ to chip afterwards. I waited almost 24h. Big mistake!

Anyway, the photos:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

Hi gents,

Well, I got my multi layer chipping relatively ok, but I completely messed up the rest, as this time, I haven't waited long enough for pre-shading and the base coat to bond properly and started chipping too early resulting in two colors chipping separately.

It's a complete mess which I have to somehow fix, hopefully in the following steps with the second camo color.

Live and learn! :)

Thanks for looking.

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hi gents,

Somehow I have worked my way through multiple layer chipping. :)

Not 100% satisfied with the results due to few mistakes I made in one of the early steps, but lesson was learned definitely. :)

Pre-shading is intentionally left a bit stronger to avoid losing it due to weathering and potential "tonal crush" effect after white decals, wing tips and rudder are done. 

Panel line washes will cover the more reddish tone in the recesses so it should be ok in the end (it's slightly more red in the photos than in real life).

Pics below. Thanks for looking guys!

Best,

Nikola 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov

And a bad close-up. It looks much smoother in real life. The darn camera picks up all the little mistakes! :)

Well, there is some cleaning and polishing to be done! 😩

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

A little update on the VERY SLOW progress with the Stuka (work, family, etc... you know how it is :) )

Next: Canopy to be painted and installed, engine and bombs to be assembled and painted, small details like pitot tube and the rest to be installed and painted, rear wheel to be painted, etc... 

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gents,

Almost there!

Engine and prop... Check!

Things left to do - assemble, paint and install the bombs, attach the canopy permanently after painting and fitting the rear gun, install the antenna, paint the exhaust stains, some small things I probably forgot... :)

Thanks for looking!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3