North American F-86K - MustHave 1/48

Looking good! One minor point if it helps: the anti-dazzle panel should kick up at the rear at the aft panel line, to meet the bottom of the canopy rail. It isn't horizontal all the way back. Hope it is an easy fix cos I know someone else will tell you when it's definitely too late!

36 minutes ago, hopkp said:

Looking very good.....are those the kit decals?

Thanks Hopkp,

Indeed, the kit decals. Lots of options for the different nationalities. They went on fine.

Rgds

19 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Looking good! One minor point if it helps: the anti-dazzle panel should kick up at the rear at the aft panel line, to meet the bottom of the canopy rail. It isn't horizontal all the way back. Hope it is an easy fix cos I know someone else will tell you when it's definitely too late!

Thanks for the feedback. I think I am going to leave it. Correcting it will leave the model with inevitable colour difference. I personally don't mind too much.

Appreciate the advice none the less 👍

• Like 1

Ahhh....... really not cool, the small locating tabs on both main gear struts just appear to have glue-melted away, leaving the main undercarriage very weak. Should have realized that the plastic was soft as I experienced some glue melt earlier on the wing and also here I use too much cement. I think I will let everything harden and drill and insert 1mm rod in the main legs and drill and and insert a 2mm sleeve in the wheel well. Fingers crossed.

spacer.png

On 3/26/2020 at 2:00 PM, Rob K. said:

It is the short winged "6-3" version,

In the photo posted of Y7-2, if that's the one you are modeling, it does not appear to have the 6-3 wing, but the short span, slatted wing. Maybe at some point in its service career, it was fitted with the 6-3 or even the F-40 wing? Maybe @Sabrejet could tell us for sure. In  any configuration, it's a beautiful Sabre!

Mike

Drilled out 1 mm channel in the strut to receive 1 mm rod. Fixed the 2mm sleeve in the wheel well.

spacer.png

This time fixed the landing gear with CA gel

spacer.png

And the Sabre is finally on its legs. Seems sturdy and there is enough counter weight in the nose cone.

spacer.png

Thanks for watching.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

In the photo posted of Y7-2, if that's the one you are modeling, it does not appear to have the 6-3 wing, but the short span, slatted wing. Maybe at some point in its service career, it was fitted with the 6-3 or even the F-40 wing? Maybe @Sabrejet could tell us for sure. In  any configuration, it's a beautiful Sabre!

Mike

Hi Mike,

Ok, I thought the 6-3 version was the short wing on the f-86k fitted upon delivery and the f-40 wing the longer modified one. But........I am far from an expert on the subject. However, it would be good to know for sure.

There is some info on jonkerweb: https://kw.jonkerweb.net/index.php/en/aircraft/aircraft-n/599-north-american-f-86k-sabre-uk?start=5

Thanks for your feedback 👍

18 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Hats off! The most beautiful F-86K I have ever seen!! And the decals; they look like they were painted!!!

Thanks Shalako,

The kit decals are rather nice  in my opinion. The Norwegian scheme with"shark mouth" was really tempting as well. Overall it is actually a really nice kit (Revell for a large part). I am quite impressed by "MustHave" thus far. The glitches I encountered were mostly of my own making.

Rgds

Just did some more  work this evening. Nearly done. Adjusted the landing gear (again)  and attached the gear doors, flaps and slats.

Canopy will eventually be in open position (due to it not being a perfect closed fit), but I will probably take a few photo shots in closed position as well for posting in the RFI forum. 

spacer.png

That's all for today.......

Rgds

Edited by Rob K.
replace RFA for RFI
  • Like 2

Hi,

Dropped the pitot tube and broke and squashed it with my desk chair wheel. Tried to make a new one with 1 mm tube and a thin florist wire. I just had to eyeball the bending of the tube. Not great, but better than nothing. Below shows the new arrangement and below the damaged part. I don't have any metal primer, but I read the product is some kind of self leveling substance, so I thought of using some self leveling Gauzy agent instead. Hopefully the paint will grip.

Nearly done.

spacer.png

• Like 2

That's the Sabre pretty much finished. The canopy is still not fixed, but I will make some pics with canopy closed and then fix and pose the canopy in the open position.  I will post more pics in the RFI forum soon.

Thanks for watching and your feedback.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Rgds

Rob

• Like 4