North American F-86K - MustHave 1/48

Hi,

Received a MustHave f-86K through the post today, so this will be my next project for the next few weeks. 

The kit looks great with lots of options for markings, but I will go for the RNLAF version.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Time to start.....

• Like 12

The real thing.....

spacer.png

And another example below, but probably with the upgraded wing, which to the best of my knowledge is not included in the kit.

spacer.png

Edited by Rob K.
additional photo material
  • Like 5

if the Must-Have kit came out the same molds like the Special Hobby one, then i have only to say good luck, coz the one from Special Hobby is really trash, a lot of fit issues and really bad quality, just a short run kit.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Harry Callahan said:

if the Must-Have kit came out the same molds like the Special Hobby one, then i have only to say good luck, coz the one from Special Hobby is really trash, a lot of fit issues and really bad quality, just a short run kit.

It is basically a Revell F-86D with a new fuselage...

cheers, Jan

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Hi HC,

As Janneman36 pointed out and what from I researched, this is indeed the revell f-86D kit with 2 new injected fuselage halves to make a "K". It is the short winged "6-3" version, pre upgrade from what I understand. So an early K version. We will see how it builds.

Rgds

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Cockpit parts were primed and painted and the photo etch seat belts from the kits were attached to the seat. Then whilst browsing for some more reference material, I came across a good picture of an actual Dutch F-86K, which showed the red padding and yellow seat as part of the ejection arrangement. So removed the etched shoulder straps again and are attempting to somehow simulate the red padding by sculpting 2 part milliput😬. We'll see how that works out.......

Below link shows some good reference material:

http://aircraftwalkaround.hobbyvista.com/f86d/f86d.htm

The putty is still soft and requires further sculpting and finalizing.

GqXWv1V.jpg

The real seat:

spacer.png

The "padding" of the backrest in close up. (Mine is an approximate attempt.....am not the best sculptor...)

spacer.png

That's all for now. Thanks for watching.

Edited by Rob K.
grammar
  • Like 6

Another update,

Filled up the nose cone with some ballast and settled it with some uv resin (ran out of thin superglue). Just hope it will not have some adverse reaction with the plastic. A further 2 metal nuts were inserted in the front fuselage to avoid it becoming a tail sitter. A total of 20 gram is required acc. to instructions. 

spacer.png

During a "test" fit, the fuselage halves fitted so well that I decided to just glue them together. It looks like there is hardly any sanding necessary on the fuselage, just some shaping later near the nose-cone.

spacer.png

To be continued......

• Like 6

On 3/28/2020 at 11:23 AM, Rob K. said:

The "padding" of the backrest a little closer. (Mine is an approximate attempt.....am not the best sculptor..

Sorry, error - mods please delete!

Edited by hopkp

Hi, 

Used some CA filler mix around the nose and other areas. After sanding, grey primer  was airbrushed to check where I need to re-scribe. Same for the fuel tanks. The air-brakes were extended with evergreen thin strips as they did not cover the housing entirely (they are going to be closed up).

spacer.png

Eventually it will receive a black gloss coat prior to the metal finish.

That's all for now.........

• Like 8

Hi,

Did some re-scribing on the nose and underneath. Double checked panel lines again, but this time with black AK micro filler. Smooth down the surface with some micromesh cloth, ready for a coat of Mr color GX2 Ueno Black gloss tomorrow as the base for the AK xtreme metal paint.

spacer.png

Am a little in doubt whether  to go with the polished or the regular aluminium look. I quite like the polished effect on the recent Thunderflash built, but not sure if it will turn  too glossy for the Sabre.

spacer.png

Just wondering if below pic could be considered a "polished" look similar to the Thunderjet shine. 🤔

spacer.png

To be decided soon........

Thanks for watching.

• Like 3

Some more work done today. Airbrushed all of the model in Mr Color ueno gloss black. Noticed some filler material on the top and bottom fuselage, so back to sanding and covering again with black primer and gloss black......

At least the top behind the cockpit looks better than before.  

spacer.png

Carried on later this afternoon when the gloss coat had dried sufficiently and laid down the AK polished aluminium. Tomorrow I will pick out the panels with lighter/darker shades and hopefully airbrush the radar dome and anti-glare panel.

spacer.png

Thanks for watching.

• Like 8

Hi,

Airbrushed some of the panels in different shades of Aluminium, mainly on the wings. Wish I would have sealed the polished Aluminium straight away with some GX super clear. This time around the tamiya masking tape did leave some marks in places. (this did not happen with the Thunderflash I built earlier)

The contrast at the air-brakes is too much, so I will re-spray them. Also due to the tape markings left, I will need to paint the exhaust part again But first a protective coat to prevent any further mishaps.

spacer.png

To be continued......

• Like 5

Finished most of the paintwork. Revisited the starboard wingtip as it was slightly distorted due to glue-melt. It looks a little better now. Did have to seal everything with GX super clear, so it is easier to handle without fingerprints disturbing the metal paint. (I am out of gloves due to Covid shortage....). Guess it is ready for decals after which I will apply a dark brown wash.

spacer.png

That's all for now, thanks for watching...........

• Like 6

Hi,

Applied most of the decals today. Just some tiny stencils left to do on the wings and bottom fuselage. I'll probably seal everything again with a gloss coat once decalling is complete. (should have left the masking on the cockpit windscreen 🤔......)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

To be continued..........

• Like 7

Hi, 

Applied the wash this morning:

spacer.png

And the result after cleaning up:

spacer.png

Used Alclad Matte to tone down the radar cone and anti-glare panel:

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's basically all the paint and weathering work done. just have to put the last bits and pieces on.

Thanks for watching.

• Like 6